2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LionKing
LionKing

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

By the way since there is a limit on MGU-K output, is it even possible for Ferrari to have more horsepower without an ICE advantage?

They can have certainly have more energy per lap to deploy if they are better in energy recovery parts etc but power???

LionKing
LionKing

I stopped the video as cars approaching towards T2.

From the green trackside, it seems like Bottas is fractionally in front. But the video indicates that Vettel about half a tenth in front. So I am not sure how reliable that indicator in the video is (unless they failed to align the videos properly)...

https://ibb.co/mhdtPJ

Lca1443
Lca1443

LionKing wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:13
That would be about 6 tenths.
Someone tell Alonso they found his 6 tenths!

Brenton
Brenton

The intensity of the drama may have caused exaggerated expected consequences. Hamilton is still being given a good chance of a podium tomorrow. He's given better odds for winning than Kimi is. :wtf: Even with the PU deficit, Ricciardo is favored to finish ahead of all but the other big 3 team drivers. Safety car is likely and may be a significant factor in these expectations.
LionKing wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:39

From the green trackside, it seems like Bottas is fractionally in front. But the video indicates that Vettel about half a tenth in front. So I am not sure how reliable that indicator in the video is (unless they failed to align the videos properly)...

Would that be because the graphic comparing the two is showing their time differences at the end of each mini sector? When talking less than a tenth, that fluctuation could have happened during the mini sector after the graphic was last updated.
Last edited by Brenton on 22 Jul 2018, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43
zibby43

LM10 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:06
there is only one thing to tell: Amazing job Ferrari.
Incredible job by Ferrari. Mercedes is getting their butts kicked.

LM10
LM10

Ted's notebook, for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6w-EddMk7c

Sevach
Sevach

Brenton wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:01
LionKing wrote:

Would that be because the graphic comparing the two is showing their time differences at the end of each mini sector? When talking less than a tenth, that fluctuation could have happened during the mini sector after the graphic was last updated.
Since FOM took over doing these comparisons they have been notoriously unreliable, they just put the graph as an afterthought.

They are neck and neck when they brake for turn 2, but when they reach the DRS line Vettel is comfortably ahead, huge advantage in traction.
Yet, the FIA paints that as a Bottas section... :roll:
They are helping the myth that the Ferrari engine is head and shoulders ahead.

Vettel also nails the T8 exit.

Bottas makes up a lot of time in the 2 final corners (truly one big double apex corner).

F1Krof

Hey, when are we starting to complain that the Ferrari's engine is too powerful and it's not fair and that their chassis sucks but it's the 'power' that's doing all the work and when are we asking to change the rules? :P
Wroom wroom

Manfer
Manfer

F1Krof wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:57
Hey, when are we starting to complain that the Ferrari's engine is too powerful and it's not fair and that their chassis sucks but it's the 'power' that's doing all the work and when are we asking to change the rules? :P
I am not sure. Depends on Toto's holiday schedule :D

subcritical71

@MtthsMlw: Great video. Bottas is marginally ahead exiting T4 and then the Ferrari just walks all over him until T6! That's some deployment strategy the others need to figure out!

LM10
LM10

Sevach wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:47
Brenton wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:01
LionKing wrote:

Since FOM took over doing these comparisons they have been notoriously unreliable, they just put the graph as an afterthought.

They are neck and neck when they brake for turn 2, but when they reach the DRS line Vettel is comfortably ahead, huge advantage in traction.
Yet, the FIA paints that as a Bottas section... :roll:
They are helping the myth that the Ferrari engine is head and shoulders ahead.

Vettel also nails the T8 exit.

Bottas makes up a lot of time in the 2 final corners (truly one big double apex corner).
This video confuses me, to be honest. If you stop at the finish line, just when they start their laps, it's Vettel who is slightly ahead. Then Bottas seems to catch up and they generally are neck and neck until turn 2. After that turn, if you stop right at the first white line (the one prior to the DRS line) it's Bottas who is ahead. Is this the line which indicates the end of S1? If so, isn't it Bottas who is ahead at that point? After that, Vettel makes a huge gain between the first line and the DRS line and is comfortably ahead, like you told.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Brenton
Brenton

"Bottas makes up a lot of time in the 2 final corners (truly one big double apex corner)."

I had a laugh at the corner numberings here. Why is every tiny change labeled a corner for the calendar's circuits? I can't count and memorize all of these corner numbers. I count 12 corners if generous, and for an F1 car there are effectively just 7 corners that matter. (1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 13, and 16-17 which is one multi-radius corner)

Speaking of turn 1 ... Max took it flat out in qualifying! Wow. The only driver to do so.

Discussing Ferrari's PU advantage by going by that long straight GPS data... wouldn't all the PU's be mapped to maximize electrical output for this straight? At least to an extent that is very similar to each other. So wouldn't that make it a reliable straight to estimate HP from?
LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:41
Ted's notebook, for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6w-EddMk7c
Thanks!

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 00:57
Yeah. As a Merc fan, part of me would actually be happy for Ferrari fans getting to experience this year.

But so many of them have been so absolutely insufferable during Merc's dominance that it's hard to feel any happiness for them whatsoever.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 22:03
marvin78 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 21:57
There are so many factors which could influence the mentioned data that this talk must be BS.
Yep, those pesky Mercedes and Renault engineers fabricating GPS data again. :lol:

Would explain why a Sauber and the 2 Haas cars are week-in, week-out top 10 cars now.
Yes, the Ferrari engine is the new Mercedes. The huge domination Merc has enjoyed since the advent of this formula is now finished.

Not sure if the Ferrari has come on strong of late or Mercedes slipped back a bit, but I am now convinced the Ferrari is straight up the faster car right now and its engine straight up the most powerful.

As things stand at the moment, it's Vettel's championship to lose.

Seeing as I love Ferrari and hate Lewis Hamilton specifically, this is a wonderful development!

:lol:

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:03
Lewis: "Gears won't change"

"Zero throttle, zero throttle"
"So stop stop, stop stop"
"Stop stop, stop stop"
Lewis: "Guys, I need to make it back"

"Negative"

Lewis: "It's trundling"

"No. Stop stop, stop stop"

"Loss of hydraulic" "Stop stop, stop stop"

Lewis: "..."

"Lewis need to stop stop, stop stop"
"PU risk, this is a PU risk"
Lewis: "It won't go into neutral"

"So just switch it off, just switch it off electrically"

"Just brake to a halt, brake to a halt, brake to a halt"

"You should anti-stall and then switch it off"
Lewis' prima donna performance on Saturday was really quite something.

First he is seen moping around the paddock looking as if he is physically or emotionally injured...then a number of offs, culminating in banging his car over the curbs and breaking something.

Then refusing to pull over immediately risking destroying the PU.

Then he does his weird bow-down/prayer thing next to the car, holding up the poor corner marshals who are just trying to do their jobs and get the car out of the way.

What was all that about? Mini-nervous breakdown? Reminds me of Mika Häkkinen at Monza some years ago. :lol: