2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JonoNic

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

GrandAxe wrote:Vettel panicked because Lewis was bearing down on him like a monster in the darkest night - 2+ seconds per lap!
From desperately pushing his broken car yesterday to standing on the top podium today. Pure champion stuff. Some can drive in the wet, some can't.
You should write novels. However, Vettel knocked it on today...
Always find the gap then use it.

JonoNic

Phil wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:02
4d) Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the Stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited.
Arguably, from Hamilton's perspective, there could have been a good reason (e.g. safety related) for the team to tell him to stay out. The question then is; Is this something the team should be penalized for or the driver? They were the ones who gave him conflicting instructions. One could argue that the FIA could reprimand the driver, the team or both. Or a financial penalty. If Hamilton had done so by his own accord, then yes, the question would be why and go from there (e.g. was there justifiable cause). We can do this all day wrong. Arguably, there could also be the point that with the wet track, Hamilton lost traction, was too fast and got on the grass which prevented him from pitting and ended up back on the track again.

I'm not defending Hamilton or Mercedes here. They did what needed to be done. Simply arguing on how punishable the offense is.

For the record; I found Vettels grid penalty for impeding Sainz in Q2 absolutely outrageous too. It wasn't of consequence to anyone, let alone Sainz and IMO shouldn't have been penalized. A reprimand, fair enough, but not by grid-penalty. I think F1 can be over-regulated at times, much to the detriment of the sport.
Umm... The team told him to come in. Hamilton decided to stay out when he saw Raikkonen carry on.

Juzh

Justthatek wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:20
MtthsMlw wrote:Anyone saw why a piece of Vettel's FW broke off ?
Could have been cause he took to much kerb on the inside of T16

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
He took the exact same amount as every lap before. Sometimes structural damage happens on its own, such as ricciardo in france.

ripper
ripper

The worst thing about today is that I couldn't swear because my 6 years old was near me when vettel crashed :D
Last edited by ripper on 22 Jul 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:21
GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:13
Oh and I almost forgot, my original comment was 'Team orders at Merc'. I never said it was good or bad, yet some started crying about Ferrari's team orders. Thats the state of mind of some posters here.
You chose to ignore the Ferrari team orders though which is convenient. That kind of points more to your state of mind than mine.

I try to be impartial. If a driver or team are out of order I call them on it.
I have in the past slated Mercedes and Ferrari for team orders.
Team orders at Ferrari. There. I said it. That is all I said about Mercedes as well. I did not say whose orders where good or whose were bad. Happy?

Justthatek
Justthatek

GrandAxe wrote:Vettel panicked because Lewis was bearing down on him like a monster in the darkest night - 2+ seconds per lap!
From desperately pushing his broken car yesterday to standing on the top podium today. Pure champion stuff. Some can drive in the wet, some can't.
Very true iirc since Button's 2011 win in Canada. Hamilton has won every wet race since then, sure today's rain wasn't as bad the the ones before, but that says it all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JonoNic

JonoNic wrote:I would like to hear Hamilton's comments on the podium today. Will he be a gentleman or a tool?
Good to see Hamilton respond like a gentleman. Well done

Phil

JonoNic wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:23
Umm... The team told him to come in. Hamilton decided to stay out when he saw Raikkonen carry on.
No, there were conflicting instructions, along the lines of;

""box, box, box....no, no, wait....stay out....out, out, out, out!""

Hamilton wouldn't have seen Raikkonen, I don't know where you got that idea. How would he have?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

JonoNic

Phil wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

Hamilton wouldn't have seen Raikkonen, I don't know where you got that idea. How would he have?
Listen again. Hamilton comments about staying out because Raikkonen stayed out.
They replayed it on Sky F1
Last edited by JonoNic on 22 Jul 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

zeph wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 16:53
f1316 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 16:42
- no such compulsion with Mercedes who, once again, blatantly use team orders (nothing wrong with that, but they and their fans like pretend that’s a Ferrari thing)
It was only after Bottas did try to pass Hamilton and failed that Mercedes told him to hold station. After the SC came in he had a pretty big go at it, but he couldn't pull it off. Nothing wrong there, methinks. Mercedes just didn't want to throw away the double.

Can we speculate about how Raikkonen could have won this race if he hadn't had to let Vettel pass?
There’s nothing wrong with team orders - period. It’s a team game and it’s called tactics; whatever makes it more likely for your team to win is a good idea.

But let’s not try to keep pretending that one team does it, another one doesn’t; or let me put it another way: the team who doesn’t do it is stupid - today, Mercedes were much quicker to be clever than Ferrari.

But anyway, in the end, it all comes down to Vettel’s error - i’m tempted to call it a career defining moment. He’ll have to be awesome in the second half of the season to make up for this.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:24
Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:21
GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:13
Oh and I almost forgot, my original comment was 'Team orders at Merc'. I never said it was good or bad, yet some started crying about Ferrari's team orders. Thats the state of mind of some posters here.
You chose to ignore the Ferrari team orders though which is convenient. That kind of points more to your state of mind than mine.

I try to be impartial. If a driver or team are out of order I call them on it.
I have in the past slated Mercedes and Ferrari for team orders.
Team orders at Ferrari. There. I said it. That is all I said about Mercedes as well. I did not say whose orders where good or whose were bad. Happy?
Fine. I hate team orders from everyone. My only point was that you only seemed to want to mention it when 1 team did it. I hate them all the time.

Phil

JonoNic wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:29
I just did. I never said it wasn't Hamilton's ultimate decision to stay out. My point was that there were conflicting instructions by the team, thus Hamilton in the end decided.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ismail1991
ismail1991

Phil wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:28
JonoNic wrote:

I guess you heard it wrong. It is like this
""box, box, box....no, no, wait....stay out....in, in, in, in!"
It was really a big miscommunication

JonoNic

Phil wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:29
I just did. I never said it wasn't Hamilton's ultimate decision to stay out. My point was that there were conflicting instructions by the team, thus Hamilton in the end decided.
I could be wrong. Those audios never plays with the correct footage

nacho
nacho

Team orders twice for the lead in the same race, a bit too much for me.