2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mattchu

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

With regards to TR and gasly, maybe just a "shot in the dark" type move, hoping for a bucketload of rain to come down and then be in the box seat. Didn`t work out obviously, was it worth a punt? Maybe...

Shrieker

Was Gasly in the points ? Did he have a realistic chance of scoring ? If both answers are no, can't blame them for rolling the dice.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Shrieker wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:19
Was Gasly in the points ? Did he have a realistic chance of scoring ? If both answers are no, can't blame them for rolling the dice.
But still, there is the educated guess, well-balanced risk and the ...crazy gamble.

NathanOlder

:arrow:
foxmulder_ms wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 16:51
McL-H wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 16:47
This sport can really learn a thing or two from MotoGP.. Never seen a teamorder there in my life. I am really considering to stop watching F1 completely.

The sport offers zero amusement. And any amusement that’s there, gets destroyed by the teams.
haha, do it. I mean stop watching. Because team orders is older than F1 in F1 :)

Lol,

And I'd like to add JL was under team orders a lot last season to help Dovi in the title race, but Mcl-H is ignoring this or not watch much motogp to claim he/she has never seen team orders in MotoGp. It happens a lot. Its just not obvious as bikes pass a lot more than cars.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Harvester
Harvester

In my opinion, very bad Ferarri strategy. They simply had to let Vettel pass Rai earlier. I completely agree with what Vettel was saying "What are we waiting for?" Vettel could build bigger lead on Hamilton and Bottas and when rain starded he could have been in a much more relaxed situation and there was high chance he wouldn't have made the mistake.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Harvester wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:44
In my opinion, very bad Ferarri strategy. They simply had to let Vettel pass Rai earlier. I completely agree with what Vettel was saying "What are we waiting for?" Vettel could build bigger lead on Hamilton and Bottas and when rain starded he could have been in a much more relaxed situation and there was high chance he wouldn't have made the mistake.
I didn't get that too. It was plain stupid, like Bahrain last year with Mercedes.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Interesting funny video by Kimi fans like myself, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTIrOpQd8Ho

RZS10

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:39
foxmulder_ms wrote:
McL-H wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 16:47
This sport can really learn a thing or two from MotoGP.. Never seen a teamorder there in my life. I am really considering to stop watching F1 completely.

The sport offers zero amusement. And any amusement that’s there, gets destroyed by the teams.
haha, do it. I mean stop watching. Because team orders is older than F1 in F1 :)

Lol,

And I'd like to add JL was under team orders a lot last season to help Dovi in the title race, but Mcl-H is ignoring this or not watch much motogp to claim he/she has never seen team orders in MotoGp. It happens a lot. Its just not obvious as bikes pass a lot more than cars.
Remember some years back when Marquez held up Rossi in the last race to give Lorenzo the championship because Rossi kicked him off the bike in an earlier race that season? Wasn't "team orders" but it wasn't very clean racing either :D

Sierra117

RZS10 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:03
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 20:39
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Lol,

Remember some years back when Marquez held up Rossi in the last race to give Lorenzo the championship because Rossi kicked him off the bike in an earlier race that season? Wasn't "team orders" but it wasn't very clean racing either :D
I can't get over Kimi saying that haha prolly taking whatever shots he can with all the talks about him being replaced next year. I bet he was smiling under the helmet as he delivered that line 😂😂
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Brenton
Brenton

Phil wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 18:55
Irrespective of what the outcome will be, I personally think Hamilton thoroughly deserved that win with the determination he drove that car in the dry and in the wet. It would be a pity for it to be stripped away based on something that happened within a split second.
That's how racing works. Drivers win or lose based on making the right or wrong split second decisions. Why is breaking the rules okay if you win the race by doing so? If he followed the rules he wouldn't have won. It's a normal part of circuit racing to follow pit entry rules... and normally if you commit to pit, you still go through the pits even if you regret your decision during entry, because otherwise you'd be penalized. But apparently F1 race winners are above penalties and can just break the rules if it feels convenient for them, knowing that they don't need to follow the rules so why not go through the grass to avoid pitting.

RE: the argument that breaking the rules is okay as long as nobody is put in danger, that logic leads to ignoring the vast majority of the rules in the sport. What if Gasly overtook everyone during the SC period and restarted in the lead? He wouldn't have put anyone in danger, so why not let him pass the entire field under the SC and win that way? No harm no foul ? Or what if Bottas broke the pit lane speed limit by 2kph for 2 seconds. He should be punished as long as he doesn't finish first?

The FIA said that he shouldn't be punished because they admitted to making the mistake and that it was the result of confusion. This is an amazing precedent... admitting to a mistake that is 100% caught on the live TV feed absolves a penalty now, as well as doing something wrong because you're confused. So now I presume nobody who gets in another's way during qualifying will be punished anymore if the driver simply got confused as to where the other driver was.
Last edited by Brenton on 22 Jul 2018, 21:59, edited 4 times in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

I still can’t get over Raikkonen having the stones to make Ferrari spell it out like that.

ismail1991
ismail1991

Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:25
I still can’t get over Raikkonen having the stones to make Ferrari spell it out like that.
I think he knows that he will not be in the team next year. Therefore, he doesn't want to be let down by the team anymore. The behaviour of Ferrari towards Raikkonen was harsh up to now

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

ismail1991 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:27
Restomaniac wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 21:25
I think he knows that he will not be in the team next year. Therefore, he doesn't want to be let down by the team anymore. The behaviour of Ferrari towards Raikkonen was harsh up to now
Which won’t help Vettel if he now has a team mate who thinks ‘I’m sick of being shafted and I need a new drive so screw it’.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I said last race the way Kimi was acting had completely changed - he's been told his seats at risk or already gone, for sure.

Shrieker

All things aside, this race reminded me a lot of the 2000 German GP.

- A driver driving for a top team snatching a surprise win from well down the order,
- Boring first half of the race with a dominant team leading 1 and 2
- Rain and ensuing chaos
- Team mate shenanigans - between Villeneuve and Zonta then-, and between Ferrari drivers today
- Zonta barging into Villeneuve in the first corner and sending him into a 720 pirouette (Leclerc pulling of a very similar 360 today)
- Zonta going off and out on a wet track, at the same place Vettel did

Probably there are other similarities as well, considering the circumstances. I guess history does repeat itself after all.

Or maybe just rhymes :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk