[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 09:42
Could you make the post processing public so that I can prepare a Rev2 of the intro-car?
Yes, unfortunately I have to rerun the whole simulation as I did not move the front suspension up as you documented in the offset file.

I have added many features to the software the last two days, including the workaround for the Windows file update situation. Tomorrow, I want to add two additional feature if possible. Definitely the new version of MantiumFlow will get released tomorrow.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 17:10
CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 09:42
Could you make the post processing public so that I can prepare a Rev2 of the intro-car?
Yes, unfortunately I have to rerun the whole simulation as I did not move the front suspension up as you documented in the offset file.

I have added many features to the software the last two days, including the workaround for the Windows file update situation. Tomorrow, I want to add two additional feature if possible. Definitely the new version of MantiumFlow will get released tomorrow.
Great! Thank you very much!

PS: For the taht are using the intro car: there is an "offset.txt" file in the "input_files" folder. Both front suspensions and footbox are +100mm

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 19:46
PS: For the taht are using the intro car: there is an "offset.txt" file in the "input_files" folder. Both front suspensions and footbox are +100mm
I saw that, I just ignored that. Obviously that was not very smart as I even noticed that without the front suspension translation you would have violated one of the rules...

Well, the report is online (at some point it will disappear again):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h2rm32o0bt23 ... t.zip?dl=0
If you have a look at it, you will notice that I improved many small things in the post-processing, making the report a bit nicer.
The new software version with all these and many more fixes will be available later today.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 12:35
CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 19:46
I saw that, I just ignored that. Obviously that was not very smart as I even noticed that without the front suspension translation you would have violated one of the rules...

Well, the report is online (at some point it will disappear again):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h2rm32o0bt23 ... t.zip?dl=0
If you have a look at it, you will notice that I improved many small things in the post-processing, making the report a bit nicer.
The new software version with all these and many more fixes will be available later today.
The Post processing is very good. I only miss the pictures "iso-ptot".

I am sorry but I will work on the Rev2 of the intro car only next week (meanwhile my offical car is almost abandoned :wtf: )

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 17:23
Ooops, but I am sure that that is only a mistake made by me, not the software, as I deleted the files during tests for the new improved pictures.

The new version of MantiumFlow MVRC Edition is up. Esp. Windows users should download it:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-files-2018/

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 17:57
CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 17:23
Ooops, but I am sure that that is only a mistake made by me, not the software, as I deleted the files during tests for the new improved pictures.
I confirm: after running the new post processing exe with an old (2018, 7b) simulation, "iso-ptot" images have been generated.

BTW: I noticed that the software considers yaw, pitch and roll angles: interesting feature for the next editions of MVRC.

wpsiatwin

What is the best way to measure frontal area for lift and drag coefficient measurement? Also can I confirm that when using the competition car engineering lap time simulation it is coefficient times frontal area not just coefficient?

CAEdevice

Hi, Rev02 of the "intro car" has been released:

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _Rev02.zip

I worked on the geoemtry to improve balance and cooling flow.
If LDVH could run a simulation and Chris a rule check I think we will be near to the final release.

I also have completed the "official" CAEdevice car: not enough time to develop new ideas, I accepted a downforce loss (compared to 2017) and a small drag increase, but I think I can improve in the next races.
Since I will be out of office in a few days (not so far, less than 100km from home, but 2.5km higher, so no way to have an internet connection), I ask LDVH if I could send the car in advance.

(BTW, Which is the official submission date?)

CAEdevice

PS: I did not see any car preview nor heard any news from the other teams. How many teams are working on their cars for the next season?

RicME85

Havent started yet and not sure if I will. After waiting so long for the new season its start date was far too close for me to get my head in the game and fit time in to do any modelling, especially with the work you had to do with the Intro car reducing available time.
I wanted to change from Sketchup to Fusion 360 or something but my brain is far too fuzzy to figure it all out I watch tutorials and then cannot figure out how to apply the tutorials to the car I want to build. Has been the same with every design package other than Sketchup which just makes sense to me as its like taking one of those 3d printing pens and just drawing away without needing to worry about planes etc. Shame as I would love to use a proper package. The only way I could learn is with 1 to 1 time with a person. Fentanyl and Morphine is not conducive to self learning :lol:

Ft5fTL

I switched to Fusion 360 from 3ds Max. I followed couple of tutorials from autodesk for learning the interface. It's faster, more stable than 3ds max and doesnt have a steep learning curve so i didnt had any issues.

However on the car side, things doesnt go my way yet.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

I agree, Fusion360 is a good choice. Sorry for the intro car: the latest release is much nearer to the correct balance. I will release a version divided in parts as soon as the simulation will be ready (STL for Sketchup users and STEP for 360 users).

LVDH

A15013950 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 02:36
What is the best way to measure frontal area for lift and drag coefficient measurement? Also can I confirm that when using the competition car engineering lap time simulation it is coefficient times frontal area not just coefficient?
Don't worry about this. MantiumFlow MVRC Edition simply uses 1m². The coefficients by that are already what you need for the virtual lap time simulator.

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:45
Hi, Rev02 of the "intro car" has been released:
I worked on the geoemtry to improve balance and cooling flow.
If LDVH could run a simulation and Chris a rule check I think we will be near to the final release.
Excellent, I will run it now.

CAEdevice wrote:
I also have completed the "official" CAEdevice car: not enough time to develop new ideas, I accepted a downforce loss (compared to 2017) and a small drag increase, but I think I can improve in the next races.
Since I will be out of office in a few days (not so far, less than 100km from home, but 2.5km higher, so no way to have an internet connection), I ask LDVH if I could send the car in advance.
Sure, send it. I am still not sure if I should delay the first race a week.

CAEdevice wrote:
(BTW, Which is the official submission date?)
Good question, apart from the possibility of a delay, I have sometimes wondered if it would not be better for me to receive the files on Saturday, so I could work on your cars on Sunday. But I am sure that you guys like spending the weekend on the last details. What do you think?

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 14:05
PS: I did not see any car preview nor heard any news from the other teams. How many teams are working on their cars for the next season?
I think we now have ten teams registered. I will try to get the new team section done the next days.

RicME85 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:36
Fentanyl and Morphine is not conducive to self learning :lol:
That does not even help to generate new and creative ideas not seen before?

CAEdevice

Thanks, any date would be ok for me, just let us know as soon as possibile.

RicME85

LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 11:33
RicME85 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:36
Fentanyl and Morphine is not conducive to self learning :lol:
That does not even help to generate new and creative ideas not seen before?
Well its good for bizarre shapes in your mind but actually creating these mind bending surfaces is another matter :lol: