Williams FW41 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bill shoe

Re: Williams FW41 Mercedes

Wonderful to see improvement parts on this car again. They may be 10% of the solution, but it's a start. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Carinni

I think this front wing is a compromise

Tattoo-

Via @ihme from WilliamsF1 forum
"There are only three sports: bull fighting, car racing and mountain climbing. The rest are mere games!" - Ernest Hemingway

roadie

Good to see some updates! I wonder if the team can turn the car around like they did in 2013 when I think the exhaust was a real problem until the later rounds.

munudeges

That's.....a lot of flo vis. If anything says "We have no idea what this car is doing" that's it.

Carinni

roadie wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 14:09
Good to see some updates! I wonder if the team can turn the car around like they did in 2013 when I think the exhaust was a real problem until the later rounds.
Not likely it can be turned around. The so called update-the new front wing actually is not designed to gain any downforce or to reduce drag. Just to reduce the overall downforce for the whole car to increase its predictability. In the end it helped improving laptime a little bit as the drivers are more confident to push to the limit. But it won’t give u enough performance to score points! In some certain extent it somehow is a backward update! So I think the team still has not yet figured out how to make the car work.

roon

Carinni wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 17:05
roadie wrote:
Not likely it can be turned around. The so called update-the new front wing actually is not designed to gain any downforce or to reduce drag. Just to reduce the overall downforce for the whole car to increase its predictability. In the end it helped improving laptime a little bit as the drivers are more confident to push to the limit. But it won’t give u enough performance to score points! In some certain extent it somehow is a backward update! So I think the team still has not yet figured out how to make the car work.
This was mentioned somewhere?

dren

roon wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 17:30
Carinni wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 17:05
roadie wrote:
This was mentioned somewhere?
Publications stated it wasn't a DF adder, but a front wing that was less pitch sensitive so it provided the drivers with something more predictable to pilot. I didn't read anything that stated it reduced the overall downforce of the whole car. The changes were made in strong vortex areas. I'd guess they were having inconsistent vortex strength in different dynamic vehicle conditions which would cause issues on all of the rear bits they are interacting with.
Honda!

roon

dren wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 20:29
I'd guess they were having inconsistent vortex strength in different dynamic vehicle conditions which would cause issues on all of the rear bits they are interacting with.
There was mention of instances of diffuser stall a few weeks back.

Mr Brooksy

I think many are referring to this article by Giorgio Piola about the new front wing

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... r-1063343/
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Carinni

Mr Brooksy wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 00:41
I think many are referring to this article by Giorgio Piola about the new front wing

Yes I did refer to this article, but well before this article, I have already thought that the new front wing is a compromise. As it clearly reduced the vortex generator n other sources suggested that the diffuser was also downgraded the down force to match the new front wing. It is like what we did in 2013 when we couldn’t make the exhaust blow work, then performance improved after we aborted the blow.

ScrewCaptain27

The double T-Wing tested in Silverstone is back for Hungary:
Via @AlbertFabrega
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

ScrewCaptain27

More pics of the double T-Wing (AMuS):
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wesley123

Carinni wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 11:19
Mr Brooksy wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 00:41

As it clearly reduced the vortex generator
Not so sure on that, as the wingtips increased to 4.

The Front wing's improvement largely will come from the reduced pitch sensitivity as the wing runs less close to the ground. This implies that the aerodynamic issues come from pitch sensitivity.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender