Why are throttle bodies hydraulic?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Caito

Why are throttle bodies hydraulic?

Hi all,

Simply as the subject says, why are throttle bodies hydraulic?

As opposed to electric. I'm not very knowledgeable in hydraulics but my guess would be that maybe the motor is a little bit lighter, but still, is the valve electrically controlled? Nowadays electric motors can move fast enough i'd guess, and with enough force.

Any light to be shed about why -weight, speed, other- is more than welcomed, pictures as well :D

Cheers!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Caito

Re: Why are throttle bodies hydraulic?

Come back 747, we miss you!!

Brian.G

Caito wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 12:17
To answer myself:

http://www.moog.com/content/dam/moog/li ... eet_UK.pdf
Also,

http://www.moog.com/content/dam/moog/li ... og-LOW.pdf

Lightness vs power is the main one in comparison to electrical actuators.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

PlatinumZealot

I think it is more a space constraint. Inaide the V of these V6 engines is totaly crowded and HOT. Not good for motor and the position sensor.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

saviour stivala

Source FERRARI F1 “from well before year 2000”.
Hydraulics, electrical, and electronics.
“Several of the control systems on the car require a hydraulics power supply to meet the performance specification in terms of force levels and frequency response. Having installed a hydraulic system, it makes sense to use it for control systems that might not demand hydraulics, the hydraulic system is lighter than electrical system, so using the hydraulic system and avoiding the need for a larger alternator and battery results in lower weight. As a result there are nine systems connected to the hydraulic supply (FERRARI FI 2000 CAR).
Hydraulic power supply (F1 2000) Abex variable displacement swash-plate pump, with internal control system that alters the swash-plate angle to vary the displaced volume per revolution. Max displacement of 2.5cc per revolution, driven by the right hand side auxiliary drive at 71.5% engine speed, delivery 10.7 litres per minute @ 6000RPM. And 32.2 litres per minute @18000 RPM. If the above delivery needs were to be meet by a constant flow gear pump, the power consumption at peak RPM would consume 16hp. The Abex pump at full flow demand consumes between 3 and 4hp. The pump draws oil from a 3.5bar pressurised reservoir. System pressure is 200bar. An accumulator is also used. Eight moog series 30 electro-hydraulic servo valves are used.