F1 Tracks

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bonur

How to improve the circuits of formula 1

Change
the tracks to facilitate overtaking
I propose to change the design
of the circuits of formula 1:
for example

Barcelona
http://www.bonur.it/fantacircuiti/2017/ ... arcellona/

Silverstone
http://www.bonur.it/fantacircuiti/2018/ ... lverstone/

I think that competing on well-drawn circuits is more fun, both for those racing and for the public.
I also know that the cost necessary for circuit changes is too high.
I like to imagine …

what do you think?

Moose

Re: F1 Tracks

Both sets of changes look completely reasonable to me - eliminate the chicanes that force the cars to space out, and make the corners that lead onto the straight ones you can follow through as well as possible.

strad

Didn't know where to put this. COTA sent me this offer....
Boy this actually sounds cool but I bet they want a chunk of change. It is a REALLY nice motorhome. You know one of those $1000,000+ ones.
Be one of the first to experience the FORMULA 1 PIRELLI 2018 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX from the on site luxury of an all-inclusive Star Coach Race Tour package. New to this year, you have the opportunity to make COTA your home during USGP weekend from an exclusive trackside area between Turn 1 and Turn 2.
The Star Coach Race Tour package includes:
• On site accommodation in a private luxury motor coach, including personal roof deck with amazing views of the facility and race track
• General Admission Grounds Pass for the entire weekend
• Admission passes include access to the Bruno Mars concert on Saturday, October 20th and Britney Spears concert on Sunday, October 21st
• Premium location campsite located inside the gates, at the top of the track between Turns 1 and 2
• On site covered hospitality area serving all freshly made meals and snacks throughout the weekend
• Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages during the entire stay
• Parking pass(es) in secure lot if needed
• Arrival on Thursday after 2:00 pm, departure on Monday by 8:00 am
Mailing address: 9201 Circuit of The Americas Blvd, Austin, TX 78617
Here's the coach
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Bill_Kar

strad wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 02:51
Didn't know where to put this. COTA sent me this offer....
Boy this actually sounds cool but I bet they want a chunk of change. It is a REALLY nice motorhome. You know one of those $1000,000+ ones.
Be one of the first to experience the FORMULA 1 PIRELLI 2018 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX from the on site luxury of an all-inclusive Star Coach Race Tour package. New to this year, you have the opportunity to make COTA your home during USGP weekend from an exclusive trackside area between Turn 1 and Turn 2.
The Star Coach Race Tour package includes:
• On site accommodation in a private luxury motor coach, including personal roof deck with amazing views of the facility and race track
• General Admission Grounds Pass for the entire weekend
• Admission passes include access to the Bruno Mars concert on Saturday, October 20th and Britney Spears concert on Sunday, October 21st
• Premium location campsite located inside the gates, at the top of the track between Turns 1 and 2
• On site covered hospitality area serving all freshly made meals and snacks throughout the weekend
• Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages during the entire stay
• Parking pass(es) in secure lot if needed
• Arrival on Thursday after 2:00 pm, departure on Monday by 8:00 am
Mailing address: 9201 Circuit of The Americas Blvd, Austin, TX 78617
Here's the coach
http://www.stradsplace.com/photos/COTA-Coach.jpg
http://www.stradsplace.com/photos/COTA-coach2.jpg
Oh boy, wish I had the money.

strad

I couldn't bring myself to inquire about the price. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ringleheim

It's not complicated! F1 tracks need a straight that is long enough to allow for slipstreaming. And just as important, the track has to be designed in a way that the following car is able to get right on the ass of the leading car in the final corner leading onto that long straight.

If you have those 2 things, you'll have passing.

Where that is not present, you will often find a lack of passing.

Now that Bernie is gone, it would be great to slowly see all of the Hermann Tilke tracks eliminated.

There are about 5 good tracks left in F1. The rest can go.

Moose

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 05:50
It's not complicated! F1 tracks need a straight that is long enough to allow for slipstreaming. And just as important, the track has to be designed in a way that the following car is able to get right on the ass of the leading car in the final corner leading onto that long straight.

If you have those 2 things, you'll have passing.

Where that is not present, you will often find a lack of passing.
Someone gets it! There's a ton of focus on the corner the overtaking happens in. That really doesn't matter. The thing that matters is whether the corner before the straight allows for following closely enough.
Now that Bernie is gone, it would be great to slowly see all of the Hermann Tilke tracks eliminated.
Why? Some of them were, and/or are great.
• Turkey
• CotA
• Sepang
• China
• Austria

The thing we need to get rid of is the succession of street circuits being introduced because it's easier to get a crowd into a city. All of them are boring successions of 90° turn after 90° turn.
There are about 5 good tracks left in F1. The rest can go.
I call bull, Melborne, Shanghai, Barcelona, Montreal, Spielberg, Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Suzuka, CotA, Interlagos. That's 10 good tracks, and even that's being fairly conservative.

Moose

I honestly see the designs above as regressions compared to Barcelona and Silverstone today.

The changes to Barcelona make the corner that enters the straight into a tight 100° corner, which will force each car to run through a traction zone individually, and definitely spread them out before the straight. Not a good plan.

The changes to Silverstone are worse - they literally reprofile the corner that gives us the most amount of racing we see at any F1 track today. Brooklands not only facilitates overtaking today, but it also reaches that perfect ballance where someone *might* pass there, but they also might end up side by side into Luffield, and then all the way down the next straight, and then into Copse, and then a final battle on entry to Maggots/Beckets.

I honestly have no idea why you'd want to change Silverstone today - it reliably produces great racing.

Zynerji

I think tracks like Hungary should just be run in reverse...

loner

well just saying .. a recycled plastic road just installed in Zwolle Netherlands
para bellum.

roon

Coat the track surfaces with a layer of rubber prior to events. Replace the rubber on the tire carcass with an abrasive, tractive surface. Ablative material moved from the unsprung mass of the car to the track. Racing lines avoided as events progress and rubber layer is worn down.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 00:16
They would have to fit much bigger mirrors then though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 11:39
Zynerji wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 00:16
They would have to fit much bigger mirrors then though.
They always want to add more show to race weekends.

They could split the practice sessions for forward and reverse, (p1 R, p2 F, p3 R, q1 2 3 F) Race 1, 2/3 distance F, Race 2, 2/3 distance R. Full points for both races. 3rd cars built in case of race 1 wrecks.

That would also force a compromised setup, and allow sub-optimal traction thus opening the door for closer racing/ overtaking.

We complain about track design, but I think many tracks would be great if the teams couldn't dial in so tight that the margins are near zero. If they needed to run 2 different tracks (R1 F, R2 R) with post qualifying parc ferme locked to both races, no car would be unattackable in either direction.