Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zioture
zioture

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Today Photos

Last edited by zioture on 26 Jul 2018, 18:04, edited 2 times in total.

roon
roon

Re: drag reduction. The exhaust is positioned low compared to Renault. What would the direct interaction w the rear wing be?

I've been thinking they may have a turbine and H which are capable of building up significant backpressure, to the extent that air stagnates or travels backwards through the main exhaust pipe. All exhaust flow must then exit the two smaller wastegate pipes at high velocity. In effect, a stalled low pressure zone with perhaps some reverse flow immediately outside of the main exhaust tip, flanked by two high velocity exhaust streams.

How much thrust could those little pipes create? Enough to counter the pressure drag from the rain light? For example. In general firing two jet streams into the low energy/low velocity radiator wake might be a good idea. The drag reduction as simple as speeding up all flow through the rear endplates.

If there's a legal way to pipe the BOV into the exhaust you'd get jet flow free of ICE pulsations.

(Not a recent photo.)
Last edited by roon on 26 Jul 2018, 18:32, edited 3 times in total.

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:08
Here’s a theory from motorsport:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/blow ... e-1064053/

Not to be ‘that guy’, but this is actually not dissimilar to something I was discussing in the McLaren speculation thread pre-season - I.e. the idea that a DRD-type device might be particularly pertinent in the current PU climate and that I wouldn’t be surprised if benefits in reducing drag would far outweigh those of increasing power,

Given the claims that Ferrari’s improvements equated to something like 2 years’ of development from power output, drag reduction seems far more likely.
So Motorsport is giving a theory about Ferrari performance from the start of the season based on the newest update?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

MtthsMlw

Could the airflow coming out of the gearbox tunnel be somehow manipulated with the wastegates/exhaust to ''control'' DF and drag?
Edit:
I'm thinking about the air coming out of the tunnel going up to help the RW and diffuser a bit and when the wastegates are open this upward stream of air gets intersected and therefor messing with the RW performance (less drag).
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 26 Jul 2018, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

roon
roon

They are also positioned right over those stub wings either side of the crash structure.

Worth noting that the wastegate pipe and diffuser trailing edge are perpendicular? Gonna be some complex btwn CS, pipe flow, diffuser wake, & RW.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:19
f1316 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:08
Here’s a theory from motorsport:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/blow ... e-1064053/

Not to be ‘that guy’, but this is actually not dissimilar to something I was discussing in the McLaren speculation thread pre-season - I.e. the idea that a DRD-type device might be particularly pertinent in the current PU climate and that I wouldn’t be surprised if benefits in reducing drag would far outweigh those of increasing power,

Given the claims that Ferrari’s improvements equated to something like 2 years’ of development from power output, drag reduction seems far more likely.
So Motorsport is giving a theory about Ferrari performance from the start of the season based on the newest update?
No, I don’t think so. I think they posit that it’s a recent gain; on this forum we’ve seen this (seemingly) low drag characteristic of the Ferrari since the start of the season but the media narrative seems to be that there was a huge jump in Austria/Britain/Germany (depending on which story you read).

For all I know, the GPS traces do show a big improvement in that timeframe, but it was noted on here as early as Australia that Ferrari had higher top speeds despite a larger rear wing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

We were noting Ferrari's power even in winter testing and speculating they were equal or higher than Merc.

roon
roon

There are a number of unique features to the car. Mirrors, sidepods, middle endplates, bargeboards. Maybe it all adds up to less drag than everyone else.

Sevach
Sevach

Sensor on the FW.

Big Tea

Thinking back to last week, there was a shot of an icepack rested on top of the camera housing.
The commentators joked that there were electronics in there that needed to be kept cool.

Is it possible that it was not cooling but hiding? Is there any possible way a vortex can originate there, or in the nearby area and directed there and stall the wing?

I think the housing is to be used as it without any alteration, but is it possible to bleed some air to this point or close to it, and would it be the tipping point to stall the wing?

I believe it is not legal to direct air there from the fuel system but can a pump be driven from the turbo/h area, directly or electrically?

Yes I know this is waaaay out there, but most people seem to be scratching their heads as to where Ferrari are getting their blip.

Alternately, can it be done with the mirrors?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Vanja #66

They do something different with electric power in PU, no doubt. But there should also be no doubt that some big areas of the car were done with drag reduction (compared to 2017 car) in mind.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

F1NAC

Big Tea wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:51
Thinking back to last week, there was a shot of an icepack rested on top of the camera housing.
The commentators joked that there were electronics in there that needed to be kept cool.

Is it possible that it was not cooling but hiding? Is there any possible way a vortex can originate there, or in the nearby area and directed there and stall the wing?

I think the housing is to be used as it without any alteration, but is it possible to bleed some air to this point or close to it, and would it be the tipping point to stall the wing?

I believe it is not legal to direct air there from the fuel system but can a pump be driven from the turbo/h area, directly or electrically?

Yes I know this is waaaay out there, but most people seem to be scratching their heads as to where Ferrari are getting their blip.

I would laugh my ass off if they just put bag of ice on top of that to make more confusion for others and diverting them from other important stuff :d

Big Tea

F1NAC wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 20:44
Big Tea wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:51

I would laugh my ass off if they just put bag of ice on top of that to make more confusion for others and diverting them from other important stuff :d
In all probability it was just that. :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dren

roon wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:07
There are a number of unique features to the car. Mirrors, sidepods, middle endplates, bargeboards. Maybe it all adds up to less drag than everyone else.
It could be something internal that greatly reduces the internal flow drag?

If it's stalling wings or diffuser, we should see the car rake change down the straight I'd think.
Honda!

MtthsMlw

Both cars are using the normal wastegates layout in FP1.