Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Alonso Fan

Re: Racing games

garyjpaterson wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 19:10
Regarding AC mods, here's one I've been working on for nearly 3 years now.

3 years you say, are you mad!? Yeah probably, I sorta attempt to explain the reasoning behind it in this video, along with a 'fast' lap to show it off a bit.

Basically comes down to no reasonable logic behind making it, but really glad I did, as I've been able to work with some great people and on great projects off the back of it. Currently modelling official cars for the developers now, so its not a lost cause ;)

Anyway, it comes out on RaceDepartment on friday :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGdJ-24B_w
I would so download this!

Man if I could just get my hands on one to make some nice sounds that would be awesome. But I can't get my hands on one nor can I find any decent sources for samples

P. S. If anyone has one could you please kindly upload a video of some flybys from the outside and some constant revving too as well as idling and perhaps some constant revving and normal driving from the inside. This mod needs a good sound!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

Looks excellent

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

digitalrurouni

I am currently playing F1 2017 and coincidentally I am the Hungary track. I am driving a Mercedes and man I just have no grip lol. Like the car is very highly developed only the last few huge pieces remain in the development tree but I am having a really hard time putting the power down or carrying the speed through the corners. It's like the tires have no bite they just skate across the surface.

Watching the free practice highlights I can almost related to what the Mercedes drivers are going through!

garyjpaterson

Alonso Fan wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 15:32
Looks excellent

https://youtu.be/va48z843Lko
Yep, out now! https://www.racedepartment.com/download ... sit.22336/

PS, hearing a few reports its slower in terms of top speed than expected. I tend to agree but am not about to reduce drag just for the sake of it, I'd rather stick to the data I have until I have something better.

Someone did do some CFD for it a few years back (came from here actually!), and obviously I'm really happy about the job they did, but I'm starting to think it wasn't quite right. If anyone wants to try some CFD runs themselves, I'm happy to let them use the model, would love some verification one way or another :)

Zynerji

digitalrurouni wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 18:21
I am currently playing F1 2017 and coincidentally I am the Hungary track. I am driving a Mercedes and man I just have no grip lol. Like the car is very highly developed only the last few huge pieces remain in the development tree but I am having a really hard time putting the power down or carrying the speed through the corners. It's like the tires have no bite they just skate across the surface.

Watching the free practice highlights I can almost related to what the Mercedes drivers are going through!
Try -3 camber on the front, and +0.6 on the rear...

Alonso Fan

Zynerji wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 00:56
digitalrurouni wrote:

Lol I hope that's a relative setting and not an actual value
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

garyjpaterson wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 23:22
Alonso Fan wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 15:32
Looks excellent

https://youtu.be/va48z843Lko
Yep, out now! https://www.racedepartment.com/download ... sit.22336/

PS, hearing a few reports its slower in terms of top speed than expected. I tend to agree but am not about to reduce drag just for the sake of it, I'd rather stick to the data I have until I have something better.

Someone did do some CFD for it a few years back (came from here actually!), and obviously I'm really happy about the job they did, but I'm starting to think it wasn't quite right. If anyone wants to try some CFD runs themselves, I'm happy to let them use the model, would love some verification one way or another :)
Do you know where I could find sounds? This could be even better than it already is!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Zynerji

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 01:27
Zynerji wrote:
digitalrurouni wrote:

Of course it's the actual setting. That's how I used to solve the same issue in rF2.

It also helped overheating the rear tyres immensely.

Alonso Fan

Zynerji wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 01:30
Alonso Fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Of course it's the actual setting. That's how I used to solve the same issue in rF2.

Really? Wouldn't you get a lot of oversteer using a setting like that? Also how could one sacrifice so much potential cornering performance at the rear?

I can feel the difference if I keep the fronts at - 3 and change the rears only to —2.

I increase tyre pressures to deal with overheating. Or use a harder compound. A couple of psi more can make a big difference

Edit I play Assetto corsa
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Zynerji

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 01:59
Zynerji wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

Really? Wouldn't you get a lot of oversteer using a setting like that? Also how could one sacrifice so much potential cornering performance at the rear?

I can feel the difference if I keep the fronts at - 3 and change the rears only to —2.

I increase tyre pressures to deal with overheating. Or use a harder compound. A couple of psi more can make a big difference

I understand, and I'm sure there is a ton of difference in the games. When I was in a league in rF2, that trick won me a lot of races. It was also better with very stiff rear corner springs, and softer 3rd rear springs.

Try it, it makes for a snap-then-hold type cornering, but it worked very well for us (my league teammate).

I was also "league famous" for running asymmetric caster.... :lol:

Alonso Fan

Zynerji wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 02:59
Alonso Fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I understand, and I'm sure there is a ton of difference in the games. When I was in a league in rF2, that trick won me a lot of races. It was also better with very stiff rear corner springs, and softer 3rd rear springs.

Try it, it makes for a snap-then-hold type cornering, but it worked very well for us (my league teammate).

Haha I see! Will give it a try later today perhaps
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

digitalrurouni

Cheers! Wiill give the camber settings a shot lol though it's quite anti-intuitive! I mean i have always had a bit of grip issue on this track but i am using the same settings i used last season. It seems the development of the car had made it kind of lacking which doesn't make sense. I remember the car being on raiks before at turn 4 and 5 etc. Intriguing.

Zynerji

Alonso Fan wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 12:30
Zynerji wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 02:59
Alonso Fan wrote:

Haha I see! Will give it a try later today perhaps
Actually, I'm completely wrong. The settings I proposed are for TOE, not camber... been about 6 years since my last league participation. Now I understand why you thought I was silly... lol. Never positive camber!

Zynerji

digitalrurouni wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 15:04
Cheers! Wiill give the camber settings a shot lol though it's quite anti-intuitive! I mean i have always had a bit of grip issue on this track but i am using the same settings i used last season. It seems the development of the car had made it kind of lacking which doesn't make sense. I remember the car being on raiks before at turn 4 and 5 etc. Intriguing.
I meant TOE, not camber. I can't believe I mixed them up!

Try -3 front, +0.6 rear with your standard camber (-3 to -4 front, -0.5 to -1.5 rear) with stiff rear corner springs.

Snap steer into the corner to weight shift, and let the toe steer the rear.

Alonso Fan

Ah makes much more sense now!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord