2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Edax

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:06
What Vettel did was just stupid.

Why risk throwing away the entire race with a DNF, especially when Bottas is no where near being a championship rival? Its hard to fathom his decision making. He is fast, but has zero race craft.
How many prangs has he had this year now? I'd love to see Leclerc at Ferrari replacing not Kimi, but Vettel.
This. I think no one can dispute that Vettel had the right to the corner, or that Bottas had no business putting his nose there.

But simple fact was that Bottas was there, and by turning in he almost caused a double 0 points for ferrari, like he did in Singapore and Spa. Because he easily could have punctured and Rai almost collected Bottas.

That of course would have been his right, but that does not buy you anything.

sAx
sAx

apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:11
Big Tea wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:45
apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:31
bottas in a mercedes a disgrace, and i would say the same about kimi, 2 second drivers who are destroying nice battles.

come on put a normal driver beside vettel and especially hamilton this is just ridiculous.
I think Bottas is doing his job at Mercedes very well. What more could they want. He is a team player who 'wings' and tailguns for his lead, and the team. Well done I say.

Set him 'loose' and you will have Ferrari Red Bull and Mercedes to fight. Do Mercedes have only one strategy guy?
Why is that I wonder :D

Vettel makes to much mistake and hamilton has to many weekends off

Maybe no bad thing! If Vettel didn't make too may mistakes he would have won 102 races and 8 WDC, Similarly if Hamilton didn't have too many weekends off, 130 race wins and 8 WDC's might be boring the pants off the viewers watching as they fight for the 9th! #-o #-o #-o
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

GrandAxe

NYGIANTS wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:24
LM10 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:14
GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:06
What Vettel did was just stupid.

Why risk throwing away the entire race with a DNF, especially when Bottas is no where near being a championship rival? Its hard to fathom his decision making. He is fast, but has zero race craft.
How many prangs has he had this year now? I'd love to see Leclerc at Ferrari replacing not Kimi, but Vettel.
The 4 time world champion does have zero race craft?
Vettel should have not raced Bottas because Bottas is not a championship contender? What are you even talking about?! :wtf:
Do you know that you get more points with a higher finish?

Some negative comments towards Vettel get really ridiculous already. It’s like people search for things to blame Vettel for.
not zero race craft but he can get clumsy when he doesn't need to. he's lucky that the contact with bottas didn't have bigger damage. the point is, he was going to pass him regardless so why close the door that much knowing what could happen if they got into contact at that speed.

the blame comes with territory, all drivers particularly the top drivers get their fair share of blame of what they did wrong.
You just described zero race craft! :P
Here's someone fighting for the world championship, yet engaging in a no holds barred battle with a sitting duck on shot tyres who isn't. He could easily have left Hungary with a 32 point deficit to Lewis - race all thrown away again. Its almost rookie stuff.

Bottas tyres were so worn that he could barely keep his car moving in a straight line without a drunken wobble. Vettel could have taken the normal racing line and still come out ahead, but he acted as if the entire race depended on that single corner; no spatial awareness, no strategic thinking, no patience, poor car placement.

Zynerji

Why no fine for Merc team leaving Bottas out with a damaged car that couldn't turn, and then struck the Red Bull?

They should have pitted and changed the wing, but they chose to continue at the cost of a competitor...
Last edited by Zynerji on 29 Jul 2018, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:14
Did anyone hear what Horner said at the exact moment Botas ran into Ricciardo? He was live from the pitwall but crofty just appologized for Horner's language... I did not manage to hear what he said...
You didn’t hear it. I mentioned it at the time.

I think a SKY bod on seeing Bottas sliding quickly shut of Horner’s feed to the TV transmission. I think Crofty heard it but we didn’t.

GrandAxe

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:49
GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:44
After all the vitriol rained on Renault by Red Bull boy's today, Honda will be wise to snap up Force India. That's a great team at discount price instead of an irate customer.
I guess the Red Bull drivers have learnt how to launch a hairy word or two without decorum from long traditions at the team. The words today were really nasty.
So, what was Cyril's excuse after the race?
Its not about Renault's excuse, their engine is obviously sub par. There's a particular level of shock you get seeing drivers (aside Alonso) spitting on their engines in public. If engines were so easy to make, why can't they make theirs?

Di Resta wasn't half this lippy before he was summarily launched into high orbit - never to land in F1 again.
Last edited by GrandAxe on 29 Jul 2018, 23:15, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:08
Zynerji wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:44
After all the vitriol rained on Renault by Red Bull boy's today, Honda will be wise to snap up Force India. That's a great team at discount price instead of an irate customer.
I guess the Red Bull drivers have learnt how to launch a hairy word or two without decorum from long traditions at the team. The words today were really nasty.
Its not about Renault's excuse, their engine is obviously sub par. There's particular level of shock you get seeing drivers (aside Alonso) spitting on their engines in public. If engines were so easy to make, why can't they make theirs?

Di Resta wasn't half this lippy before he was summarily launched into high orbit - never to land in F1 again.
He landed a race at William's after being launched...

And you pay for engines that meet the rules. At this point, RBR is taking penalties and losing real championship money due to the fact they had no choice of supplier other than Renault.

cooken

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:41
So bottas gets 10 second penalty for pushing Ric off the track. What was vettels penalty for taking Bottas out in france?
Who cares because the two incidents are not comparable?

apexcontrol

sAx wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:55
apexcontrol wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:45

I think Bottas is doing his job at Mercedes very well. What more could they want. He is a team player who 'wings' and tailguns for his lead, and the team. Well done I say.

Set him 'loose' and you will have Ferrari Red Bull and Mercedes to fight. Do Mercedes have only one strategy guy?
Why is that I wonder :D

Maybe no bad thing! If Vettel didn't make too may mistakes he would have won 102 races and 8 WDC, Similarly if Hamilton didn't have too many weekends off, 130 race wins and 8 WDC's might be boring the pants off the viewers watching as they fight for the 9th! #-o #-o #-o
Yeah maybe not if vettel and hami can fight it out but they cant... 8driver championships between them..and my god what a bad pair of champions they are.

Just ridiculous to see and hear them in a race
It's a shame that ricardo or max are not in a decent car they would repair the bad joke of driver paring at merc and fer

Would not suprice me if leclerc will outright kill vettel in the first race with same car ....and plz dont put ocon or max beside hamiton....because it will start his singing career and ending his driving

sAx
sAx

apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:16
sAx wrote:
apexcontrol wrote:

Yeah maybe not if vettel and hami can fight it out but they cant... 8driver championships between them..and my god what a bad pair of champions they are.

It's a shame that ricardo or max are not in a decent car they would repair the bad joke of driver paring at merc and fer

Would not suprice me if leclerc will outright kill vettel in the first race with same car ....and plz dont put ocon or max beside hamiton....because it will start his singing career and ending his driving
Haven't been watching for very long have you?

Schuttelberg

apexcontrol wrote:
sAx wrote:
apexcontrol wrote:

I tried to ignore this thrice but I can't help taking the bait.

Where exactly did Max and Daniel qualify in tricky conditions on Saturday? It's very easy to demean people that are winning by saying they have the best tools for it. Guess what? they've worked hard to acquire it in their careers and not just lucked into that. Do you remotely understand racing to even know how brilliant this victory of Hamilton is and how brilliant Vettel's recovery was?

Every driver has their weak moments in the car and tend to speak rubbish in the heat of the moment. That's what makes these amazing athletes who can do things we can't human i.e us. Get off your high horses and appreciate what you're seeing and if you can't, turn that tele off next time. No one is shoving the product down your throat!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

sAx
sAx

sAx wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:24
apexcontrol wrote:
sAx wrote:

Maybe no bad thing! If Vettel didn't make too many mistakes he would have won 102 races and 8 WDC, Similarly if Hamilton didn't have too many weekends off, 130 race wins and 8 WDC's might be boring the pants off the viewers watching as they fight for the 9th! #-o #-o #-o

Haven't been watching for very long have you?

GrandAxe

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:12
GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:08
Zynerji wrote:

Its not about Renault's excuse, their engine is obviously sub par. There's particular level of shock you get seeing drivers (aside Alonso) spitting on their engines in public. If engines were so easy to make, why can't they make theirs?

He landed a race at William's after being launched...

And you pay for engines that meet the rules. At this point, RBR is taking penalties and losing real championship money due to the fact they had no choice of supplier other than Renault.
Not giving excuses for Renault, but Red Bull's DNF's seem to be mainly electrical or gearbox, which would be their fault, not Renault's.

Those are side arguments though, at the core of their public spat with Renault are decorum, respect and to a degree, honesty. Its not good for business. Mercedes refused to supply them an engine, using their relationship with Renault as an excuse. Ferrari too refused them, though for reasons not made public.

Just_a_fan

RedBull have suffered more than the other Renault teams which must point the finger at RedBull as the source of the problem. I doubt their (i.e. Newey's) drive for tight packaging isn't helping their reliability.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.