General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HPD

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

The possible future of the relationship Aston Martin - Red Bull - Honda (with Hartley)
Aston Martin in DTM for 2020 with the sponsorship of Red Bull and Honda engine (NSX)
https://www.motorsport.com/dtm/news/ast ... 0-1060825/
(This comment is only informative, avoid answering because it does not correspond to the F1. Thank :) )

HPD

I hope they are closer. :cry:
Cristian Horner: "I certainly expect that the first year (with Honda) will be an interim year for us," the Brit said. A slap in the face for all fans of Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo. When Red Bull Racing can participate in the world title? "We will be ready for it in 2020", says Horner. "Compared to the competition, the necessary steps have to be taken."

roon

Read that as: another 3rd place year. Not exactly a slap in the face. There are seven worse positions to find themselves in next year. But this could all be misdirection and sandbagging. Can't be sure with just one quip.

urbanglowcam

I think they're setting the expectations low after all the McLaren Honda talk ups.

etusch

It is result of being realistic

GhostF1

I can't imagine they'd be at their strongest on a first year with a new engine. Year 2 is always more fruitful after accumulating all the knowledge from the first year.

Common sense really. And yes Horner is extinguishing any title challenge rumours as early as possible.

yener

Well to be honest, you shouldn't see this as a new engine. Offcourse they have a new concept, but they had and still have enough hours on the dyno developing the MGU-K and MGU-H and other parts. Even if i don't think they will match the Ferrari and Merc PU, they will definetly be ahead of Renault. In both reliability and power
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

roon

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 23:38
I can't imagine they'd be at their strongest on a first year with a new engine. Year 2 is always more fruitful after accumulating all the knowledge from the first year.

Common sense really. And yes Horner is extinguishing any title challenge rumours as early as possible.
Maybe next year can be considered year 1.5, considering STR data.

etusch

roon wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 02:06
GhostF1 wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 23:38

Maybe next year can be considered year 1.5, considering STR data.
It is completely different between Toro Rosso and Redbull. Toro Rosso was expecting to go with Renault but it had changed. But Redbull was planning to go one direction from two... They didn't start to produce 2019 car for renault. So they didn't send garbage any work. It is not needed to say Technical ability of Redbull compared to junior team.
If Honda keep same development ratio they(Redbull) will be good next season I think/expect better than this season. If somehow they(Honda) can achieve to do better they can fight for Wdc. In short I don't expect integration issues. Just how good the chassis and how good the PU

foxmulder_ms

Tough luck for Honda, they will they will be blamed for EVERYTHING going wrong with Redbull years to come :D

HPD

"Fortunately, McLaren was wrong with Honda, I already knew it last year, saying: 'Jesus, how can you criticize such a fantastic collaborator and the money they put there?' We know that your chassis is not the best ... Good for us, thank you, McLaren, I thanked you last year and they smiled, I think I smile now. "
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b45a2.html

roon

foxmulder_ms wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 17:36
Tough luck for Honda, they will they will be blamed for EVERYTHING going wrong with Redbull years to come :D
I take it you're exaggerating, but the Renault engine is what has held RB back for 4.5 years. Is there any reason to believe otherwise? Strong team, good drivers, probably still the best chassis & aero. In the EBD era, last days of the NA V8, there was greater engine parity. RB never won those years by a large margin, which further attests that they won thanks to chassis, aero, strategy, drivers, and other organizational superiorities. Only in recent years have the other teams adopted RB's attention to detail.

If Honda do not deliver, it will again be a power unit which holds the team back. They really need to bootstrap an engine department of their own. Maybe that's why they've advocated ditching the current ruleset--they want to build engines.

apexcontrol

foxmulder_ms wrote:
yeah i dont think so, redbull have 2 teams and have all the money they want, honda is the same.

mc laren is a second rate team, they will never dominate again customers teams never do.

honda redbull is the best you could wish for they will not fail redbull is to big and they have endless amounts of money

redbull is the only one with 2 teams last decade

GhostF1

roon wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 21:10
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I take it you're exaggerating, but the Renault engine is what has held RB back for 4.5 years. Is there any reason to believe otherwise? Strong team, good drivers, probably still the best chassis & aero. In the EBD era, last days of the NA V8, there was greater engine parity. RB never won those years by a large margin, which further attests that they won thanks to chassis, aero, strategy, drivers, and other organizational superiorities. Only in recent years have the other teams adopted RB's attention to detail.

If Honda do not deliver, it will again be a power unit which holds the team back. They really need to bootstrap an engine department of their own. Maybe that's why they've advocated ditching the current ruleset--they want to build engines.
RBR were advocating to change PU concept on Renault's behalf, that was simply because Renault have not made huge gains and we all know RBR's position with Renault. They wanted a big change to possibly become competitive, especially when it looked as though they could only be and will only be with Renault.
Since Honda have improved dramatically and RBR signed with them seeing great potential, they immediately swung back and said keeping this formula for the PU is cost effective and advantageous to the manufacturers. They did a complete 180 as soon as they announced the partnership.. RBR's position has always been reflective of their engine partner.

apexcontrol

Honda is underrated . There concept was very bad so they had lost years. Then mc laren made it even worse.

But now the concept is good, teamwork is good. There is no doubt if they gonna challenge merc and fer the only guestion is when.

Redbull honda wil be in a good spot. Renault or mc laren.....one of them will quit f1 rather than winning anything