2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flmkane
flmkane

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

zoroastar wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 04:14
what title does Ojjeh carry at mclaren anyway? i thought that he was just a major shareholder. and i wonder how much he meddles in team building?
He forced out Ron Dennis. Does that count as meddling?

WaikeCU

flmkane wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 04:39
zoroastar wrote:
what title does Ojjeh carry at mclaren anyway? i thought that he was just a major shareholder. and i wonder how much he meddles in team building?
But that was because Ron was trying to sell company to Chinese investors right?

adrianjordan

WaikeCU wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:47
flmkane wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
But that was because Ron was trying to sell company to Chinese investors right?
I think it dates back further than that...I may be mistaken, but I think it stems back to the Honda deal, Ron had a chance to buy out the other shareholders, but failed...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think there is still a lot of bitterness among several parties involved that Ron vetoed Mercedes picking up a significant stake in Mclaren in 2007, which was then exacerbated by the "spy" scandal.

marmer
marmer

F1 team in ownership scandal while making multiple on track cock ups

You could make a decent film about this

Maybe that's the plan

RonDennis
RonDennis

flmkane wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
Last edited by RonDennis on 08 Aug 2018, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 16:26
flmkane wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
That's because Ron did something terrible personally, which some people in the paddock know about but nobody wants to say what happened.
Can't say I know exactly what happened, but I remember some talk about Ron making some moves and taking some decisions, while Mansour was practically on his death bed. It's believed Ron took those actions believing Mansour wouldn't recover, but he miraculously made an almost full recovery. They've been estranged ever since, understandably so.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McG

marmer wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 15:38
F1 team in ownership scandal while making multiple on track cock ups

You could make a decent film about this

Maybe that's the plan
They made a documentary lol
F1 is dead.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 16:26
flmkane wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
That's because Ron did something terrible personally, which some people in the paddock know about but nobody wants to say what happened.
#-o Source? Or shut up.
F1 is dead.

Big Tea

I am not going to gossip monger, but if you search Bahrain GP and the names there is 'another version of the rumor' being attributed to it.

I KNOW NOTHING OF IT, just an attempt to centralise speculation if not reduce it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zoroastar
zoroastar

flmkane wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
i know that haha. but thats upper upper management. and we have an idea as to why that happened. i was mainly speculating on whether he gets involved in people farther down the chain. im sure there was pressure by the shareholders to start cutting heads after the start of this season though. so i guess i already had my answer. just curious if they "meddle" if things are going good.

McG

Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 21:41
I am not going to gossip monger, but if you search Bahrain GP and the names there is 'another version of the rumor' being attributed to it.

I KNOW NOTHING OF IT, just an attempt to centralise speculation if not reduce it
Or you could provide a link, reputable source would be welcomed.
F1 is dead.

Big Tea

McG wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 16:50
Big Tea wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 21:41

Or you could provide a link, reputable source would be welcomed.
I don't have a 'reputable source' That is the problem. It is all picked up from here and there, but it does not seem to involve any personal or family related incidents, which is the way it usually seems to go.
{Heresay, and I stress it is that, goes Ron Dennis and Ojjah seem to have had a voting agreement that they vote the same way, but Ron was unable to attend the meeting when the 'problem' was on at Bahrain and Ojjah used both votes in the wrong direction.
There is an article here (https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... our_ojjeh/)
but again I stress it is something that came up when I googled it, the author is unknown to me, but it is very close to what I believe}

Edit.

This is off Joe's Blog at the time. That seems reputable.
As I understand it, the role of chairman at McLaren rotates between the shareholders and on this particular issue, Ojjeh was chairman. He was obligated to vote with Dennis but, in that particular meeting, he was chairman and had the right to cast the deciding vote. He did what he felt was right and voted against Dennis (and himself). Dennis took this as a betrayal and the relationship was broken. Ojjeh was a very sick man at the time and there are many confusing stories about what was going on, but the reality is that the problem came down to a matter of opinion over the Bahrain GP – and, in many ways, both sides were right. F1 probably should not have been there, but things were nowhere near as bad as they were portrayed.

Whole article, but the https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/11 ... mclaren-2/ part is above.
(https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/11 ... mclaren-2/)
Last edited by Big Tea on 10 Aug 2018, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

Can they switch back to a Mercedes engine any time soon?

adrianjordan

roon wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:23
Can they switch back to a Mercedes engine any time soon?

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 766731.jpg
No. Mercedes won't supply them, they're in a contract with Renault and that's before we consider whether they could even actually change the car in time.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️