Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Renault seems confident they'll make a step forward with the power unit. I wonder where this enthusiasm comes from. Given the lack of improvement seen this year, I wonder if there's a planned architechture change for next year.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 19:17
Renault seems confident they'll make a step forward with the power unit. I wonder where this enthusiasm comes from. Given the lack of improvement seen this year, I wonder if there's a planned architechture change for next year.
Seems like the actual technical guys at the team aren't as confident:
"I would say, yeah - we are a bit surprised," he said, pointing to the big step forward Ferrari made with their second-generation engine of the season which was introduced in Montreal.

“They’ve got a strong engine anyway, but it is really quite strong now," he said. "The performance is right up there.

Renault's Bell relinquishes tech chief position for part-time advisory role
"It just seems to be more power unit output," he told Crash.net. "Their straight line speeds are very strong while running a sensible rear wing on the car. So they do seem to just have good power."

It does give us a concern. We are obviously in a pretty tight fight, so we have brought stuff all the way up to the shutdown.”
http://www.f1i.com/news/313807-chester- ... rades.html

GhostF1
GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
Cyril is highly confident of everything they have "in the pipeline", most of it has been smoke though.. Apparentpy Spec C will make RBR regret it's Honda decision.. and yet Ferraris gain startled them... We'll see how good it ends up being. Cyril has talked this spec up big time.

604gtir
604gtir

GhostF1 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 00:16
Cyril is highly confident of everything they have "in the pipeline", most of it has been smoke though.. Apparentpy Spec C will make RBR regret it's Honda decision.. and yet Ferraris gain startled them... We'll see how good it ends up being. Cyril has talked this spec up big time.
ferrari has also startled mercedes.. so...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
To be honest, I don't really put much weight on statements regarding the Renault PU, that are made by Cyril. I gauge things more on comments by Rémi Taffin. Cyril has made some dodgy comments, even in the recent past. He said that the gains from the spec B engine would be more than the then current deficit. He talked about the party mode before it was used and only downplayed it's effectiveness after it failed to impress in Austria. He claimed Renault only talked about it because Christian had spoken about it to the media.
I find it a bit interesting though, that Taffin, who is always a lot more reserved and cautious in making claims said that the plan is to catch Ferrari and Mercedes completely in 2019. I don't see them changing architecture next year.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 08:36
godlameroso wrote:
To be honest, I don't really put much weight on statements regarding the Renault PU, that are made by Cyril. I gauge things more on comments by Rémi Taffin. Cyril has made some dodgy comments, even in the recent past. He said that the gains from the spec B engine would be more than the then current deficit. He talked about the party mode before it was used and only downplayed it's effectiveness after it failed to impress in Austria. He claimed Renault only talked about it because Christian had spoken about it to the media.
I find it a bit interesting though, that Taffin, who is always a lot more reserved and cautious in making claims said that the plan is to catch Ferrari and Mercedes completely in 2019. I don't see them changing architecture next year.
Agree with this entirely. Cyril is a smoke blower, the much lauded Spec B is no better than Honda's Spec 2. The only thing I'll add, even though Taffin originally said he thinks they'll match Ferrari in 2019 a while ago, I think Renault will still lag next year. he said this before Canada and the fact they were surprised at Ferrari's big engine gain there and the way they worded their response to it, saying "it is a surprise actually.. Ferrari already had a strong engine, now it's a very very strong one".. essentially confirms, for me, they probably won't match that level too soon. I know that is a baseless statement to make based on their response to a competitor, but their attitude was sort of low and they didn't mention they will counter or anything like that.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GhostF1 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 09:32
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 08:36
godlameroso wrote:
Agree with this entirely. Cyril is a smoke blower, the much lauded Spec B is no better than Honda's Spec 2. The only thing I'll add, even though Taffin originally said he thinks they'll match Ferrari in 2019 a while ago, I think Renault will still lag next year. he said this before Canada and the fact they were surprised at Ferrari's big engine gain there and the way they worded their response to it, saying "it is a surprise actually.. Ferrari already had a strong engine, now it's a very very strong one".. essentially confirms, for me, they probably won't match that level too soon. I know that is a baseless statement to make based on their response to a competitor, but their attitude was sort of low and they didn't mention they will counter or anything like that.
Exactly, I guess they'll be re-evaluating their targets for 2019. They'll probably end up targeting being the 3rd best engine.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Discussing the strength of the Renault power unit in comparison to Mercedes and FERRARI Abiteboul told auto motor und sport “The engine is good enough to put a car in pole position, win races and fight for the title, Red Bull proves it. Without their problems, they would now be fully in the title fight, and only two of their problems had to do with the engine”.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

toraabe wrote:
12 Apr 2015, 12:48
Well according to http://f1-insider.com/red-bull-renault- ... h-technik/
Renault lacks 80 hp to Merc / Ferrari engines in race trim.
In quali trim another 30 hp down due to a „Free-Load-System“ that both Merc and Ferrari are using.
To be honest, this is more than depressive to Renault.
If you look at Riccardo to manage 7. grid with 110 hp down still proves that the RB11 is on level with Merc and Ferrari when it comes to chassi.
Ferrari gained at least 80 hp during winter by adapting the merc innovated split turbo concept, and to be honest Renault cannot wait to adopt this. Longer pipes from the compressor means pressure drop and because of the higher temp in the conventional turbo even more is lost . With their current design no more power is available only behalf on durability. I also assume due to their concept the engine is running too hot and is suffering from continuous overloading.
FERRARI does not use the mercedes "split turbo" concept.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

hurril wrote:
12 Apr 2015, 13:29
What is a „Free-Load-System“?
free load system (mode)/ qualifying mode/ party mode: with the engine at full fuel flow allowed, in electric supercharging mode, with waste gates open and exhaust gases bypassing the turbine, with H and K sharing ES power.

hurril
hurril

saviour stivala wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 12:48
hurril wrote:
free load system (mode)/ qualifying mode/ party mode: with the engine at full fuel flow allowed, in electric supercharging mode, with waste gates open and exhaust gases bypassing the turbine, with H and K sharing ES power.
My post is from April, 2015. I have learned a thing or two since :)

gandharva

Renault underestimated rivals' engine development
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... 49/?nrt=54

"I believe indeed that we underestimated the potential of the current engine regulations, let's put it this way," he said.

j2004p
j2004p

saviour stivala wrote:
hurril wrote:
Forgive my non-technical ignorance but does that mean that the MGU's are wholly responsible for spooling the turbo whilst the ICE is effectively running with no back-pressure because the wastegate is fully open?

hurril
hurril

j2004p wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 12:54
saviour stivala wrote:
hurril wrote:
Forgive my non-technical ignorance but does that mean that the MGU's are wholly responsible for spooling the turbo whilst the ICE is effectively running with no back-pressure because the wastegate is fully open?
No, not wholly. There is still work being done to the turbine despite the waste gates being fully open.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

gruntguru wrote:
16 Apr 2015, 05:54
I think Renault tried to run without a wastegate - using the load bank for the rare ocaision when the turbine was making power that couldn't be sent to the ES (battery full) or the MGUK (Driver throttle demand low). There was no suggestion that they don't have the same self-sustainig mode features as the other PU's. . . or am I missing your point?
since the introduction of the present power unit there were no manufacturers running without a waste gate. there was a time when Renault (if I am not mistaken) used a single entry turbine scroll and only one waste gate plus only one waste gate exhaust tail pipe. before the mandated waste gate/s exhaust tail pipe/s, all manufacturers waste gate/s bypassed the turbine and dumped exhaust gases into the turbine tail pipe.