[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 00:18
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3295003 ... tures.html

Would MantiumFlow take full advantage of this new processor?
Sure, but consider that OpenFoam scalability is not linearly depending on the number of cores, especially for our simulations that are not so big if compared to "professional" CFD computing (F1 with numer of cells 10x and transient models).

LVDH

So guys,
we have eight submitted cars. The Dutch teams Team Bart and Tulip Racing made the very first submission and respectively also the last one with only one minute to go. Lets hope that at least one of them is designed so well that we get a new top rookie team. Somebody has to challenge CAEdevice. His car is designed very very well. It took him a while to figure these cars out but he is the master you guys have to beat.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 10:27
So guys,
we have eight submitted cars. The Dutch teams Team Bart and Tulip Racing made the very first submission and respectively also the last one with only one minute to go. Lets hope that at least one of them is designed so well that we get a new top rookie team. Somebody has to challenge CAEdevice. His car is designed very very well. It took him a while to figure these cars out but he is the master you guys have to beat.
Honestly I am not very happy with the car: the new rules (shorter rear wing chord, rake, and especially that strange step) caused a significat loss of efficiency (15%-20%) and, while at the end of 2017 I completely understood the car, now I am a bit confused.

LVDH

We will see, I have not seen any numbers yet, I am only preparing the cars. In some two hours the simulations will begin.

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 12:04
Still immobile. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the car to you.
Good luck, I hope you can get something submitted.

I have now had a good look at all cars. As always it was very interesting to see with what kind of ideas you guys come up with. If I would have to bet money it would probably be on either JJR or CAEdevice. These two cars are just so refined, while Variante's car is once more a bit more unconventional so it is too hard to just look at it and decide if it will be good. His experiments last year did not really pay off and as they happened on the floor nobody saw them. I already have a cool idea on how we will see more of the cars and how they work this year. The main question is if I can squeeze it into my tight time schedule. Which begs the question:

Does somebody want to join the MVRC staff as a CFD journalist?

Another idea I came up with today as I have already spotted some rule violations is that instead of sending private emails out to the bad boys, I will post all violations online. This will keep everything more transparent and the trouble makers get parts of their car revealed as additional penalty.

variante

LVDH wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 12:47
I'm not sure I'd have the time or the skills to do it, but could you define this role a bit better?

LVDH wrote:
...JJR or CAEdevice. These two cars are just so refined, while Variante's car is once more a bit more unconventional so it is too hard to just look at it and decide if it will be good. His experiments last year did not really pay off and as they happened on the floor nobody saw them.
Yes, I don't think I'm going to win this round either. But I wanted to invest my time on a new concept because:
1 - last year car layout was good, but had clear limits
2 - fossilizing on the same car is boring
3 - this new layout is a lot more flexible
4 - more experience
I'll release pics of it and some comments soon enough.

BTW last year experiment on the floor were cool, but took away from me a lot of time that should have been invested elsewhere. They also didn't suit my diffuser very well (would have been perfect for CAEdevide, instead), and made my car layout not as flexible as I wished.

LVDH

variante wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 15:10
LVDH wrote:
I'm not sure I'd have the time or the skills to do it, but could you define this role a bit better?
I think you would have the skills but I do not think it would be appropriate for a participant to be in this role.

The idea would be, as I have all the CFD data, to create a set of flow visualizations of all cars for an article on the challenge page and obviously here on the forum. That way we can show how the cars work and why some are better than others, CFD eye candy never hurts either. I would create the images and the MVRC journalist would then write and post the article.

machin

LVDH wrote:
Another idea I came up with today as I have already spotted some rule violations is that instead of sending private emails out to the bad boys, I will post all violations online. This will keep everything more transparent and the trouble makers get parts of their car revealed as additional penalty.
Sounds like a good idea to me...👍

Just in case anyone wanted the link to the MVRC Virtual Stopwatch, here's the address... I've not added the new tracks yet... Will do that ASAP...

http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

Like indicated on the submission email, Richard added a new line to his VSW. MantiumFlow should export a copy-paste friendly line so you can insert your values much faster. I have been trying to implement this during the weekend but somehow was mentally not able to do this. Now I am struggling to create the renders of the cars. Two cars simply refuse to get rendered. If my brain remains to be so blocked, I might not be able to get the results out this weekend, although the CFD simulations are going great.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 13:10
Like indicated on the submission email, Richard added a new line to his VSW. MantiumFlow should export a copy-paste friendly line so you can insert your values much faster. I have been trying to implement this during the weekend but somehow was mentally not able to do this. Now I am struggling to create the renders of the cars. Two cars simply refuse to get rendered. If my brain remains to be so blocked, I might not be able to get the results out this weekend, although the CFD simulations are going great.
Hi, I am sorry about the renderings. I was wondering: would not be possibile to use the images from MFlow GUI?

LVDH

Yeah, I was wondering something similar. At the beginning of MantiumFlow the post-processing was done in Paraview, which at some point due to all of its bugs annoyed me so much that I switched to VTK. The VTK post-processing of MantiumFlow works for all cars. Paraview uses the same VTK. I have no idea why it does not work in Paraview. I just have to decide to switch the automatic render generator for MVRC to VTK or to Blender, to make really great images, like I did on some cars for the last race, last year.

RicME85

What is the situation with the Intro Class car? The website states:
Intro-class car:
Please take note that this here is still the 2017 model. An update will either follow soon or this car will be allowed for the first race of 2018.
Am I doing something wrong or is rev4 of the intro car still not a 2018 spec? I imported rev 4 body.stl into my .Skp that has all the guides in and the rear doesnt fit.
If this is how Intro is running, what are we doing with rear wing placement, is that to 2018 rules? What about the floor as there is obviously more length to the diffuser area with the old car.

CAEdevice

Sure, this is the intro car 2018:

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 12:45
Hi, Rev02 of the "intro car" has been released:

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _Rev02.zip

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... er-002.jpg

I worked on the geoemtry to improve balance and cooling flow.
If LDVH could run a simulation and Chris a rule check I think we will be near to the final release.
And simulation results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0icms5y8drs4q ... t.zip?dl=0

The car is 2018 compliant, but I did not receive an official confirmation. Please check the compliance before submitting!

RicME85

Ah, I wasnt sure what was what with that as a) its not on official website and b) it includes all surfaces that intro class have to supply.
I assume if entrants in Intro submit these parts they will be reprimanded and submitted geometry is compared against these parts?