Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

garygph wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:28
Miha_v wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:13
garygph wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 19:47

I never understand these statements on a F1 site which is frequented by serious F1 fans
Watching f1 seriously for over two decades, I completely understand - the predictability and boredom of races in that Era is still unmatched, it was beyond frustrating.
What I do not understand is that if you have stopped following F1 why are you taking time out of your life commenting on a dedicated F1 forum which is a lot more effort than casually watching it on tv? If you have stopped following it ( which is totally acceptable and obviously your prerogative) why enter an area of discussion filled with people that still love it and follow it with these statements? If you were not following it you would not know enough to comment on the latest events!? Not following it and being less enthusiastic about it recently are two different things. If you are genuinely not following it anymore then do us a favour and do exactly that and we would not have your negative statements here.
I figured it was obvious from the context in which the statement was made, but let me spell it out for you:

I stopped watching during the Schuey era, and picked it back up when Alonso ended his reign. Have been following it ever since.

Hope that clears it up.

makecry
makecry

Re: Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Wass85 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 21:12
Sadly for many Alonso has announced he will be retiring from F1 at the end of the season. He's had a very good career no doubt but he will leave a lot of if's. I have a feeling Christian Horner shunning him recently was the final nail in the coffin.
LOLwut? he had decided it long time back. he said it already,liberty media tried to convince him to stay and he decided against it, i m sure he was in running for the renault seat too but he didnt want it.

GPR-A duplicate2

Is Brown good enough to do a coup and bring Nico Rosberg back? They need an experienced and fast driver and why not Nico? Given the pathetic choices available, I think it would be worth for Brown to try.

johnny vee

GPR-A wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 06:56
Is Brown good enough to do a coup and bring Nico Rosberg back? They need an experienced and fast driver and why not Nico? Given the pathetic choices available, I think it would be worth for Brown to try.
...this would not be a bad idea
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Espresso
Espresso

Re: Fernando Alonso announces ..new horizons...

ALO going for a Triple Crown with a bite =D>

2006 Monaco + F1 WDC
2018/2019 (double) Le Mans + WEC championship

and...
2019 Indy 500 + Indy championship [-o<
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

garygph
garygph

GPR-A wrote:
That would be a great rescue for the team! But what would be really in it for Nico? I do not think he needs the money :)

Phil

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Jolle wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 21:21
ALO’s move to quit now feels to be to be a bit of a dick move. He was one of the forces in McLaren to switch to Renault (with Zak’s one core message “we have to keep Fernando happy”) and now after one season he leaves them. There are no good driver options left for McLaren on the market. All the world champions are taken, even all the race winners have good seats. Grosjean, Perez and Stroll are the only drivers left with a podium to their name. So next year it’s going to be a sponsorless car, no works status and second choice drivers. The ingredients never have been this bad, even in the Peugeot and early Mercedes days they had at least works status and a good deal with Philip Morris. I think we have to go back before Fittipaldi and Texaco...
I agree with this. I think to some extent, it also highlights the disillusion that has been going on at McLaren for some years. I feel the blame that was apportioned towards Honda and their outspoken belief of having one of the best chassis up until this season was not just a play in order to sell their worth in front of sponsors and fans. They really believed it. And on some level, they must have believed that moving to a more competitive engine and retaining Alonso (who was indeed one of the forces in the switch to Renault) would instantly put them into contention for podiums, at the very least. Reality must have hit hard when they found themselves in arguably the same spot as last year, performance wise.

IMO - it was a mistake to let Honda go. I argued at the time of the break-up that Honda was a significant partner, sponsor and investor. They had the 'works-relationship' too, but perhaps having a driver of Alonso's caliber was ultimately the death-sentence for such a partnership: Too high the pressure to supply a competitive car. With every failure and set-back, the pressure mounted and ultimately led to the belief that the chassis was good and the engine wasn't, which then led to a strained relationship. There were many at the time that argued that it's either winning or nothing. Meanwhile, they have been surpassed by Renault who has slowly, step-by-step, kept their heads low and made incremental improvements over the seasons to be where they are today.

While I wouldn't attribute all to the Alonso-effect, certainly there is a point to be made that he is perhaps one of the most influential drivers on the grid and that influence surely has had an effect. Personally, the loss of Honda, however way that was influenced by Alonso, will have long lasting consequences for McLaren as a team. Their performance has been exposed and the team has surely become a much less attractive place for many highly gifted engineers and drivers. One has to wonder if McLaren has the ability and resources to turn things around from here on out, especially now that Alonso has left the boat.

Overall though, and I hate to say it, but I think despite the performance Alonso brings to the team, I think ultimately, it will be good for McLaren that he has left. Bad in the sense that surely this will lose them some exposure, attractiveness and sponsorship in the long run, but perhaps overall less pressure.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dodds_turbo

Hmmm, ESPN F1 reporting Carlos Sainz is set to announce he'll be replacing Alonso in McLaren...

es.pn/2Pb8WS0

Andres125sx

"You (F1) played with me, but I also learnt to play with you"

Fernando Alonso

From Alonso´s video on twitter

F1NAC

GPR-A wrote:
Nico retired on top. I doubt he would want to come back. He has no desire to race anymore in F1 because he accomplished his goal. He doesn't need money so why would Brown bother to contact him anyway?

marmer
marmer

F1NAC wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 14:01
GPR-A wrote:
Nico retired on top. I doubt he would want to come back. He has no desire to race anymore in F1 because he accomplished his goal. He doesn't need money so why would Brown bother to contact him anyway?
two years with a wife all day might be all the motivation he needs

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

for the F1 in general this is not good, you may say what you like.
but fernando has the x factor and thats good for F1

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It makes no difference - he's a bit player these days. And who can forget crashgate...?

When Vettel or Hamilton retire it'll be a bigger issue as they will doubtless go near/at the top, not, like Alonso, at the bottom.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

marmer wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 14:40
F1NAC wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
A young child to enjoy playing with will offset the nagging! :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 22:17
marmer wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 14:40
F1NAC wrote:

A young child to enjoy playing with will offset the nagging! :lol:
And numerous trips to the shops
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.