Renault say engine cheating possible under current regulations.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Renault say engine cheating possible under current regulations.

https://www.pitpass.com/62632/Abiteboul ... d-cheating

Revealing that his company has already made a number of suggestions aimed at assisting the FIA with its policing, the Frenchman said: "I think that, frankly, if we wanted to cheat on the current engine, we would know how to do it, and that's an issue. We are a very large corporation and we would never do such a thing like that, we can't afford the reputational risk."

Any ideas how?

gandharva

Re: Renault say engine cheating possible under current regulations.

LOL, if they would really know how to cheat, they already would do it. Just another poor attempt to shoot out at competitors. This engine formula is getting more and more silly!

Zynerji

gandharva wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 21:24
LOL, if they would really know how to cheat, they already would do it. Just another poor attempt to shoot out at competitors. This engine formula is getting more and more silly!
Maybe this is why RBR dropped them... :lol:

Big Tea

To be fair to him, he did say they ALL knew how to cheat and than NONE of the would.
It was not a barb, but still swallowed by the press.

FIA can not check every part of every engine every time so the teams have to be taken on trust.
An example is something going on in another thread, and that is the use of metals.

If the engine maker decided to use an exotic metal for an internal component on their engine, just the two they use, the chances of it being found are minuscule. However, in 2 years time when an engineer goes to another builder, they do not want to be left with a face full of egg and called cheat.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

saviour stivala

it is hard to believe that any of the four manufacturers will try cheating more so considering their calibre. I don't put it dawn as Renault that having said engine cheating possible under current regulations, I will put it down as being hot air generator by the actual man that said it.

roon

Cheating is always possible under any set of regulations. Tucked between all of the spam ads and malware, at the end of the article, he is quoted as saying:

I'm not saying that anyone is cheating but I think it'd be good to get rid of all the speculation, by doing some local and targeted standardisation, and we've put forward some proposals in relation to that.
I guess he's saying he'd like engine suppliers to be more manufacturing oriented, rather than R&D firms.

Zynerji

roon wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 23:43
I guess he's saying he'd like engine suppliers to be more manufacturing oriented, rather than R&D firms.
What's the point then? :wtf:

A standard engine manufactured by 4+ different manufacturers seems the epitome of stupid. At that point, having a 3rd party (like Cosworth) make the ICE for all teams would be cheaper due to scale. If they go that route, only the valve covers would be made by each manufacturer just to include their logo...

These are prototypes by definition. That means they are, by nature, R&D testbeds.

BassVirolla

Posibly they are only searching the limits of what the FIA can keep under surveillance... :roll:

Zynerji

The best judge of legality are the laws of physics.

This BS about arbitrary limitations makes no sense, honestly, as it builds loopholes by definition, and greatly benefits those that stumble upon them earlier than others.