2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Phil wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:36
You know, even if Hamilton/a Mercedes gets pole... it's a long way up Eau Rouge and beyond. It was a miracle (and took some cunning driving by Hamilton) to not lose 1st place last year at the start and safety car restart - if he gets pole (at this point, big if and anyones guess), it'll be extremely difficult to keep the Ferraris behind.

Best case scenario for Merc would be a front-row lockout with a few RedBulls seperating them to the Ferraris. With a rainy qualifying, anything can happen.
Throw in the "Stavelot lottery" and it's anyone's first lap really. Being on pole here is less of a benefit since they've been able to run flat out and close together through Eau Rouge / Radillon. Early defending on the Kemel and then a bit of "how late can you brake?" is required to keep first place. Of course, the run through Blanchimont towards the Bus Stop can allow a come back but staying close in the corners leading up to it is much harder.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 18:14
godlameroso wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 15:02
What I mean is that it has a little less drag but also a little less total downforce, however the Ferrari can get it's downforce working at a lower speed than the Mercedes.
If you make low speed downforce then you make high speed downforce (unless you have a design that stalls the wings (intentionally or otherwise)) and vice versa. The cars don't have active aero so unless someone is cheating (or is lucky), the cars don't tend to suddently lose downforce generating ability as speed increases. Yes, the inherent flexibility of wings etc. means that it's non-linear (of course it's non-linear anyway as it's a square relationship but...) but all teams suffer/benefit from that.
The difference is there, it's miniscule but it's there, so far on tracks that favor top speed with long straights, Ferrari has been the marginally faster car, on tracks where the balance of performance tips towards aero performance Mercedes has had the upper hand. However on tracks where low speed traction and grip is at a premium, both Red Bull and Ferrari have an edge on Mercedes, this could be down to purely mechanical setup. I doubt it though because all 3 have top class resources when it comes to the chassis. So as you say, the non-linearity of the aero performance may be responsible for the slight differences we see. Either way it's entertaining.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

I would say it's down to suspension difference - the rake allowing for softer rear end and thus better slow speed traction.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

Does anyone have an idea on how to get General Admission tickets for Friday only? Seems to be sold out. Any advice?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GrandAxe

Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
What I mean is that it has a little less drag but also a little less total downforce, however the Ferrari can get it's downforce working at a lower speed than the Mercedes.
If you make low speed downforce then you make high speed downforce (unless you have a design that stalls the wings (intentionally or otherwise)) and vice versa. The cars don't have active aero so unless someone is cheating (or is lucky), the cars don't tend to suddently lose downforce generating ability as speed increases. Yes, the inherent flexibility of wings etc. means that it's non-linear (of course it's non-linear anyway as it's a square relationship but...) but all teams suffer/benefit from that.
A couple of weeks ago, there was a link in the Ferrari hardware and software section to an article that shows how Ferrari has positioned their waste gates to stall the rear wing (Renault does something similar). So, altering expected downforce at target speeds and on the straights seems to be accepted practice this season.

BwajSF

Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
At Low speeds its more of the mechanical Grip and the Balance of the car.. rather that the aero Downforce..

alexx_88

Phil wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 23:23
Does anyone have an idea on how to get General Admission tickets for Friday only? Seems to be sold out. Any advice?
Not sure about Spa, but at Hungaroring you could buy Friday grandstand tickets quite cheap. I'd do that and just use them for GA

godlameroso

BwajSF wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 08:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
At Low speeds its more of the mechanical Grip and the Balance of the car.. rather that the aero Downforce..
Then why put barn doors on FSAE cars? If they're stuck at autocross speeds, wouldn't wings be redundant?
Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

New PUs for Ferrari and Merc/FI/Williams -> Bottas will get a grid penalty

via AMuS

Big Mangalhit

I'm going this weekend. Any other members going?

it's only my second time here, any advices?

F1Krof

This is gonna be an easy 1-2 for Ferrari.

Bottas already starting from the back of the field. Even Hamilton's magic won't be enough.
Wroom wroom

Zynerji

F1Krof wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 14:36
This is gonna be an easy 1-2 for Ferrari.

Bottas already starting from the back of the field. Even Hamilton's magic won't be enough.
The last couple races, people said the same...

The weather completely changes the metric, and it's anyone's game.

thetruth

Written win for Mercedes.
The rain is coming down just for the qualy session,such as in hungary.
Easy 1-2.
Bottas will easy recover from the back,with his new PU update and many SC called.

Phil

Help!!!

On the website it says:
spagrandprix.com wrote:It is no longer possible to buy your tickets online. Sales of tickets between the 20th and the 23rd of August at the parking P15 between 9 and 6pm.
Sales of tickets between the 24th and the 26th of August between 6 and 6pm at each entries of the track.
Are these tickets that are being sold at the track, limited? I'm seriously considering driving out 7+ hours, but would be seriously :evil: :evil: :evil: if I find that there are no more tickets available. Does anyone know the chances of getting tickets trackside? I'm looking to only get a GA ticket for Friday only.

EDIT: Okay, I just got through by phone. Apparently it is 50 Euro and they think it shouldn't be a problem to get one of these tickets at the track entrance tomorrow for the day. It's a bronze GA ticket with access to 3/4 of the track.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter