Michael Schumacher

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ringleheim

Re: Michael Schumacher

Luca di Montezemolo visited Michael not that long ago, maybe a year or 18 months ago? He was pretty grim and made a public comment along the lines of "It's not good" when asked of Michael's condition. I'm sure some here remember that.

For whatever reason, based on doctors' input, reports from those who have seen him, etc., I have always assumed that Michael is kind of in a vegetative state.

I suspect he is conscious but more or less bed ridden and probably doesn't really know where he is. He may not really be able to speak. I suspect he can't feed himself or do anything himself.

A neuro surgeon familiar with brain trauma suggested the next time we will hear anything of substance about Michael's condition is when we will have heard he has died.

A human body doesn't last long in this type of condition.

It's a really crazy, sad situation for such a tremendous athlete and with such a legacy to find himself in. It's much like Senna; we've lost all that Schumi and Senna could have done for F1 or motorsport in their older years.

What a shame.

ringo

I think he can communicate verbally now, but possibly doesn't want to be seen in the media in a weakened state.
If it were really bad and hopeless i think the public would have known a long time ago.
Maybe there is hope he comes back to a respectable level of functionality, and it's until that time that we hear news of him.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 04:36
I think he can communicate verbally now
Where did you hear that? Has there been an announcement by someone who has spoken to him/the family to confirm this?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

ringo wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 04:36
I think he can communicate verbally now, but possibly doesn't want to be seen in the media in a weakened state.
If it were really bad and hopeless i think the public would have known a long time ago.
Maybe there is hope he comes back to a respectable level of functionality, and it's until that time that we hear news of him.
Based on what?

I'm a medical professional and I feel the best case scenario is that Michael can communicate in some way, but there is no chance of any more than that. Otherwise we would have heard it from someone by now.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

GPR-A duplicate2

Can mods please close this thread? While Michael's family has been asking for privacy, speculative talk here is thoroughly disappointing and painful. Whatever is Michael's condition, that shouldn't be a subject of discussion. May god be kind on him and bestow whatever he is destined for. Hope we will see him again.

Bence

GPR-A wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:24
...Whatever is Michael's condition, that shouldn't be a subject of discussion...
Why exactly?

The entire Formula 1 audience knew when and how he had to go to pee before a race (useful, relevant, involving, healthy information... NOT), so there is a certain info-vacuum - which is unwise from his management/family, because this is the determining factor people are still speculating.

A short, factual, official statement would stop this immediately. Not the mods are needed, just facts.

BTW, what's the difference when you talk about Philippe Streiff, or the titanium hardware in Robert Wickens' back, or Zanardi's legs? Is that disrespectful too? Did we talk about Christopher Reeve's condition? We, as humans, all have the right to know and discuss the available information. Then the individual threshold will stop you or let you investigate further, but self-policing (especially on a forum) is not needed.

Jules Bianchi's family handled the situation very well by providing short, factual updates. No one was speculating.

Big Tea

The difference is that he is no longer public property.

A Celebrity who earns through public exposure (should) expects the attention but someone who has retired should not.
Having said that, I would like to know how he is, but not at the expense of his discomfort. I think 99.99% of those wanting to know wish him well not ill.
A statement every now and again from his agent, or who ever has taken over his company is not too much to ask, even if it is 'no change'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Bence

There is no such thing like "he is no longer public property". A multiple world champion, his family & the whole marketing/merchandising machinery can't take on an invisibility cloak and call it a day. Because of his history, he will be always prominently visible. Dead or alive - or even in a vegetative state.

Big Tea

Bence wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 13:24
There is no such thing like "he is no longer public property". A multiple world champion, his family & the whole marketing/merchandising machinery can't take on an invisibility cloak and call it a day. Because of his history, he will be always prominently visible. Dead or alive - or even in a vegetative state.
When did you last buy something he sponsored? He was not 'famous for being someone' which is a life time tag he was a F1 driver, and no longer is.

NathanOlder

You can't expect people to not talk about something in public. The Family want their privacy , I get that. But I'm not on here talking directly to a Schumacher or close friends of his. If they are on here reading this then they obviously don't want their privacy that much otherwise they wouldnt be here reading.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

To be honest, I'd understand the value of this topic, if there was something actual to talk about. There's zero of that. There's no new information, there's no new rumors, there's simply nothing. Effectively, this is what this topic is too - empty speculations with no real basis.

As sad as it is, people have to accept that and simply move on. Remember him for who he was and what he brought, not for what he has become.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

santos

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 11:29

Now I was never a Schumacher fan, but I really am disappointed in the lack of info from the family to his real fans. The poeple that backed him his whole career and supported him, they deserve to know
I'm a fan of him. I'm trully grateful for all the sundays that raced for Ferrari. In 2009 i really hoped that he could replace Massa after his accident.
The few news that we had, it's what fans need to know. He and his family needs privacy. We, the fans just need to wish him the best.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:07
You can't expect people to not talk about something in public. The Family want their privacy , I get that. But I'm not on here talking directly to a Schumacher or close friends of his. If they are on here reading this then they obviously don't want their privacy that much otherwise they wouldnt be here reading.
No, talking about him is fine. No problem for me. I mean taking to him and expecting a public response or an appearance on a chat show. Talking In absentia will not hurt him. Have I misled?

As long as he is not 'pestered' if you excuse the word he will not know

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 14:33
To be honest, I'd understand the value of this topic, if there was something actual to talk about. There's zero of that. There's no new information, there's no new rumors, there's simply nothing. Effectively, this is what this topic is too - empty speculations with no real basis.

As sad as it is, people have to accept that and simply move on. Remember him for who he was and what he brought, not for what he has become.
At the time i started this thread it was reported he was moving to Spain. So there was new info, new news.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Last edited by NathanOlder on 25 Aug 2018, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.