Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: Porsche 919 sets new Spa lap record

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 08:37
The acceleration out of corners is crazy. Very perceptible. The video is almost cartoonish.

J.A.W. wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 03:01
sounds pretty meaty
180hp per cylinder. Hard to find such a figure outside of drag racing...
Well roon, real big engines do easily beat it, & in motorsport, hard-tuned Reno air-race machines do too, of course..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

roon

J.A.W. wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 05:24
roon wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 08:37
The acceleration out of corners is crazy. Very perceptible. The video is almost cartoonish.

J.A.W. wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 03:01
sounds pretty meaty
180hp per cylinder. Hard to find such a figure outside of drag racing...
Well roon, real big engines do easily beat it, & in motorsport, hard-tuned Reno air-race machines do too, of course..
Yes, cargo ships decimate this figure. I should have said: 180hp per cylinder is uncommon for a road car outside of drag racing.

roon

Porsche only published onboard footage of a 1:43,5! In order to make this video I rendered their video at a speed of 102%, which shortend the 1:43,5 to approximately 1:41,7 (which is the actual new track record)

Looks like they extended the side skirts for their Spa run. Bonus points for those who can explain why the compressor has 3 pipes entering it from the airbox. Multi stage? BOV returns?

roon

Seems to have a microtube water radiator in the left sidepod.

Example:

Audi version:

I see no oil radiators.

e36jon

The new photos by Roon allowed me to notice something: Are the rear suspension pushrods active in some way? They sure look like more than a simple pushrod. Active ride height maybe? I think I am seeing independent left and right dampers and a third heave unit, so ride height seems like all that's left...

schwepes

e36jon wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:18
The new photos by Roon allowed me to notice something: Are the rear suspension pushrods active in some way? They sure look like more than a simple pushrod. Active ride height maybe? I think I am seeing independent left and right dampers and a third heave unit, so ride height seems like all that's left...
I have seen an information that 919 evo has rear axle steering, but I cannot find it again to confirm the source.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

Is there another term for 'brake migration' control? Brake bias dependent upon pedal force/travel.

Just_a_fan

It's a brake bias that changes with speed. F1 used to have brake migration if I remember correctly, although that was purely hydraulic brakes. In the hybrids, I think the system changes the amount of brake energy harvesting to maintain balance as speed drops.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

kudryavchik

Guys, in your opinion which car (engine) is more advanced, 919 Hybrid (EVO) or F1? Looking for your feedback)

JonoNic

On a slower note. The new Aventador SV Jota vs Porsche GT2 RS. TOO bad they couldn't synchronise the two vids properly.

[media] https://youtu.be/r185p-nD4KQ [/media]
Always find the gap then use it.

dmjunqueira

Didn't last long... :twisted:
1min41s501 from Ferrari today.

apexcontrol

It's very very easy headlines for porsche,and I dont like that.

If the ppl would make a car to drive as fast as possible around spa or nordschliefe,
Porsche 919 is damn dumptruck.

So I am happy that a F1 team heavyle bounded by rules, show the world that 919 is just a piece of ---, and nothing more than cheap way of getting attention.

Porsche did some maths and was like hej, this is easy attention.
Well good its short lived and cleaned up.

919 will only break records that are not seriously contented, so Porsche need stop bullshiting with easy headlines

Let them do something useful and let set real records, not ones that are up for grasp. Because no else cares

apexcontrol

If ppl want they can make car that looks like a batmobile, and is twice as fast as any know car on those circuits.

But there is none interested, so there no competition.
If there is no competition there nothing to win,
So Porsche must not do like they did something special because they didn't

What you think would happens if a company like merc would build a car with no rules, then every record wil be broken......50%faster

Then you would have a real record, not something Porsche came up with