2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

siskue2005 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:51
LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:47
siskue2005 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:45
And why does everyone going crazy about the force India's? There was 4 top cars missing in the qualy, and they were 3.4 sec behind the pole lap...they would only have been 7th and 8 th out of 10 cars
But they didn't, which shows that it was pure chaos ongoing. No equalising whatsoever. Do you understand what I mean now?
They didn't coz Bottas had pently and he didn't run.
Red bulls and Kimi got shafted by their teams.

And it was chaos for viewers but for people in the team it was not so... u saw how calmly they were adjusting vettel's and Lewis car.

I know what u r trying hard to do.... derating Lewis pole .... but not gonna happen as long as there are fair f1 fans watching the sport.
I'm not trying to derate Lewis' pole lap. I just don't agree that rain equalises anything and makes the overall best drivers shine. Some drivers like the wet more others like it more when it's dry.
There are thousands of important factors which should be considered in general.

MtthsMlw

Hahaha funniest thing you'll see today :lol:

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:49
The very best surely rise to the top in the wet. How I wish it would rain tomorrow!
Rain would add a lot of spice, especially with Kimi and both Red Bull's out of position because they ran out of fuel.

I guess a wet race would hand an easy win to Lewis though. Kimi and Vettel are rubbish in the rain (especially Kimi), while Max is great, but has a an aggressive dry setup. Ricciardo is average in the wet, but has the same aggressive dry setup as Max.
Why were both Ferrari drivers garbabe in the rain?
Last edited by SchuMassa on 25 Aug 2018, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra117

LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:41
SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:29
Sierra117 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:20

Dramatic phrasing, but specifically the advantage of the machinery was equalised, of course. Everyone had four wheels and engine power was no longer as important as in the dry. Some software and stuff is there for aid, sure, but it can't incorporate intuition, "feel", all that years of experience coming together and making a decision. There's no traction control either. As aforementioned, the ability of the driver is much more important. As shown by Kimi, Hamilton and many others whenever it rains.
You are a bit off in this case. Chassis still remains a factor in rainy conditions - every single car has different ride hight, rake, suspension geometry, spring stiffness etc. Some perform better on a wet rack, some not! (and engine mapping, torque is not insignicant either)
True. Actually it's very surprising that some people seem to just look at driver performance as if the cars turn into the exact same cars when it's wet. In fact, they still remain completely different cars from each other which do have completely different characteristics. Not to forget warming up the tyres, which is at least as important on wet tyres as it is on slicks.
My quote literally states " ... no longer AS IMPORTANT as in the dry."; "software and stuff is there for aid, sure, but ... " ...

Nobody has said the cars turn into the exact same thing. At least I haven't. Forgive me, but it seems like there is some quest to find absolute equal cars, equipment etc. etc. which is pretty much impossible in our world. This logic makes any sort of comparison impossible because if we keep looking at it materialistically, we will keep finding something to pick out and complain about. For instance, in martial arts, one can easily say how one guy is shorter and therefore cannot generate as much leverage as a taller opponent and the list will get very long. The whole point of competition is how well you can do with what you have. The car is your body's extension in a way. These guys know it inside out. The rain significantly reduced the constant potential of the machinery and made driver ability much more important. That is why you see Ocon up there in 3rd, where he would never be there in the dry.

The whole point is how well you can control this extension of your body in rapidly changing and unpredictable circumstances. The differences in the cars are there, but each driver is intimately aware of his car's behaviour and limits, combined with their experience accumulated over the years in different conditions. This is what we applaud - the ability of the driver to align these variables into something they can work with.

There was chaos, sure (not really, but ok), but it was chaos for everyone. Otherwise in the dry it's always the teams with less power fighting their own battle. Once again, tricky conditions offer opportunities to everyone to use their ability to find the grip. You can't make use of engine power if you cannot find the grip to plant that power. In the dry there's too much prediction, too much software and with a significant background in software, I know how that goes.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:53
Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:50
Hamilton 100% flat trough puohon on his Q2 run

HQ: https://streamable.com/0yk0w

https://streamable.com/0yk0w
Amazing =D>
Anyone else flat through there?
Not that I've seen, but there's no ferrari footage from q2.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

SchuMassa wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:59
GrandAxe wrote:
The very best surely rise to the top in the wet. How I wish it would rain tomorrow!
Rain would add a lot of spice, especially with Kimi and both Red Bull's out of position because they ran out of fuel.

I guess a wet race would hand an easy win to Lewis though. Kimi and Vettel are rubbish in the rain (especially Kimi), while Max is great, but has a an aggressive dry setup. Ricciardo is average in the wet, but has the same aggressive dry setup as Max.
Kimi is always overly tentative in wet conditions. As for Vettel, he was on fresher tyres than Lewis and on the track at the most optimum point to get pole, but still lost by almost a second to Lewis ... A second.

LM10
LM10

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:08
SchuMassa wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

Kimi is always overly tentative in wet conditions. As for Vettel, he was on fresher tyres than Lewis and on the track at the most optimum point to get pole, but still lost by almost a second to Lewis ... A second.
Both had the same tyre age.. and Vettel did several laps without a break whereas Lewis did an unintended cooling lap after a mistake in one of his previous laps.

siskue2005

Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:04
MtthsMlw wrote:
Juzh wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:50
Hamilton 100% flat trough puohon on his Q2 run

HQ: https://streamable.com/0yk0w

https://streamable.com/0yk0w
Amazing =D>
But both Ferraris were .3 sec slower in s2.... so most probably they didn't run flat out as they were running lower wings

justmoi
justmoi

This is daft. Kimi topped the times before running out of fuel in Q3. And Vettel did botch one run also, aborted then did another run. Vettel was very fast. Nearly 3 seconds ahead of 3rd. He just wasn't fastest.

I'm out of this mess

LM10
LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:17
Juzh wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

Amazing =D>
But both Ferraris were .3 sec slower in s2.... so most probably they didn't run flat out as they were running lower wings
Vettel was flat through Pouhon in Q2 as well.

iotar__

GrandAxe wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:08
SchuMassa wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

You can't compare Raikkonen's time, it was set in different conditions. BTW it was good to see nr 2 stooge drivers out of the way and not interrupting predetermined results.

"while Max is great, but has a an aggressive dry setup"
Oh gawd #-o . Why aim for third if you can start seventh ("Seventh Place") with an aggressive set up.

Another stellar performance by Sainz & Gasly is on Hartley's pace here. No wonder they found F1 seats so quickly including a top one and a long term contract.

GPR-A duplicate2

LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:13
Both had the same tyre age.. and Vettel did several laps without a break whereas Lewis did an unintended cooling lap after a mistake in one of his previous laps.
Last time in Hungary, someone said Hamilton did the lap when track was better, while it was not and now you are saying tyres. The fact is, Vettel did the lap, when the track was getting better, than when Hamilton did. That was the reason why Foece Indias did well, because they were at the right point at right time. Yet, Vettel fell short.

thetruth
thetruth

And so,Bottas got no penalty for the incident in FP3?

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:20
siskue2005 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:17
Juzh wrote:

Vettel was flat through Pouhon in Q2 as well.
Source ? Video?

LM10
LM10

GPR-A wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:20
LM10 wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:13
Last time in Hungary, someone said Hamilton did the lap when track was better, while it was not and now you are saying tyres. The fact is, Vettel did the lap, when the track was getting better, than when Hamilton did. That was the reason why Foece Indias did well, because they were at the right point at right time. Yet, Vettel fell short.
Yea, so what's your point now? Do you want me to tell you a million'th time that Hamilton is the best driver in wet conditions so that you can feel better or get another million'th confirmation? :)