Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

rscsr wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 10:52
Zynerji wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 04:43
MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 22:48
https://i.redd.it/6te0ah1vr3i11.jpg
open in new tab for high res
With the +/- 3mm variance allowed across the "flat floor", I'm somehow disappointed that there isn't any strategic "waves" to get aero benefit. Like golf ball dimples or similar...
McLaren tried something like that several years ago. They bent the tea tray upwards by the tolerance and it was forbidden.
Why have a variance set in the rules, then? It was +/- 5mm, and got changed to 3.

roon

Flatness tolerance for manufacturing.

Vanja #66

roon wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 16:59
Flatness tolerance for manufacturing.
I'd say more on montage than on manufacturing, it's not that hard to make a flat piece of composite, down to a tenth of a millimeter.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

roon

3.7.5 Tolerances
To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may contravene any part of these regulations, the following dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated between 430mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line: a vertical tolerance of +/- 3mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a horizontal tolerance of 3mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.

McMrocks

roon wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:18
3.7.5 Tolerances
To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may contravene any part of these regulations, the following dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated between 430mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line: a vertical tolerance of +/- 3mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a horizontal tolerance of 3mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.
So could teams remove the slots in the side pod turning vanes and say that the small area seen from underneath is down to manufacturing tolerances?

Zynerji

McMrocks wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:35
roon wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 17:18
3.7.5 Tolerances
So could teams remove the slots in the side pod turning vanes and say that the small area seen from underneath is down to manufacturing tolerances?
Kind of the point I was making.

And a +3/-3mm "flatness" tolerance could seriously be abused for "texturing" the underside of the floor...

roon

An intentionally textured floor would be distinguishable from waviness due to manufacturing limitations.

ScrewCaptain27

Impressively shallow RW for Monza:
Via @AlbertFabrega
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

mrluke

Amazing they can have such a flat RW but still do better than the whole midfield on the twisty bits.

M840TR

Interesting.

Zynerji

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 00:35
An intentionally textured floor would be distinguishable from waviness due to manufacturing limitations.
I see nothing in 3.7.5 distinguishing these variances as "manufacturing variations".

I mean, what if my mold had 3mm bumps in it, and made my floor look like a golf ball? Do I just have to prove it was unintended? Or say, STFU. You can't question anything under 3mm variance!

Ashwinv16

Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 02:51
roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 00:35
I see nothing in 3.7.5 distinguishing these variances as "manufacturing variations".

I mean, what if my mold had 3mm bumps in it, and made my floor look like a golf ball? Do I just have to prove it was unintended? Or say, STFU. You can't question anything under 3mm variance!
First off this whole golf ball thing will only help with flow attachment, which can be achieved through cheaper means, like the vortex generators placed in front of the floor, second you will have to proof that those were un intended but if they form a symmetery(Left and Right side of the central skid plane) FIA ain't gonna believe you.

P.S This whole golf ball floor texture is slightly confusing on how it will work, it makes more sense placed in the diffuser entrance. (That curved bit transitioning from the flat floor before the diffuser exit)
Halo not as bad as we thought