2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

Andres, you're just embarrassing yourself dude.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Andres125sx

BTW, Ocon should have gone full attack mode at les combes in first lap or not?

He could have took the lead! Or DNF ok, but the opportunity was worth the risk I think, and his conservatism took him 4th, and behind his teammate

OTOH both Lewis and Vettel would have pass him anycase so maybe the risk was not worth, but he gifted Perez his position, and you don´t want to gift your teammate any position, let alone a final 5th

Opinions?

Andres125sx

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 14:29
[...] I think Hamilton is one of the best out there, but IMO his consistency is far from Alonso. He´s faster tough, are you happy with this? If not I´m sorry, but that´s my opinion
Shrieker wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:30
Andres, you're just embarrassing yourself dude.
That´s funny, because when I read some post like this where you can´t post any argument and only try to mock me because of expressing my opinion, that´s exactly what I think, you´re embarrasing yourself dude :twisted: :mrgreen:

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:32

He could have took the lead! Or DNF ok, but the opportunity was worth the risk I think, and his conservatism took him 4th, and behind his teammate

OTOH both Lewis and Vettel would have pass him anycase so maybe the risk was not worth, but he gifted Perez his position, and you don´t want to gift your teammate any position, let alone a final 5th

Opinions?
For Ocon, the possibility of taking out Hamiltons car is a no go. I don't think Toto would try his best anymore to get him in a good seat for next year....

siskue2005

https://f1insider.co.uk/ferrari-noticed ... -rear-wing
Ferrari ‘noticed’ Mercedes’ flexing rear wing

Even though Ferrari got the beating of Mercedes on race day at the Belgian Grand Prix, Scuderia team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said their attention has been drawn to rear wing on the Mercedes car and how it flexes.

“That’s the FIA’s job, not ours,” said Arrivabene whether Ferrari would investigate it further.

“We are already busy to answer to all the questions they ask us every race. But yes, we noticed it. Let’s see if also the FIA will notice it.”

During their race coverage, Sky Italia analysed the Mercedes rear wing through the corners and compared it to other cars on track.

There is no word yet whether the FIA will hold their own inquiries into the matter ahead of the upcoming Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
Did anyone notice how much the ferrari front wing was also flexing ...it was evident on the nose cam in qualifying

Fulcrum

Phil wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:08
Technically, that should have been good. I think the theory was; Either be far enough ahead so that no pass is possible (what Vettel did on Hamilton on the restart). If that is not possible, make sure the overtaking car has to move out of the slipstream as early as possible to negate the effect. That makes it a drag race down the straight with identical air resistance. If the overtaking car can stay longer in the slipstream, it can use that to reach a much higher top speed, so that when it goes out of the stream, the speed difference is high enough to make a pass.

Last year, this worked because the Mercedes in theory was the faster car in a straight line.
Not sure if you were directing that comment at me or not.

Either way, Hamilton dropped his left rear tyre over the lip of the curb on the exit of the final corner (the 2nd left at the top of the hill). Vettel absolutely nailed that apex, and didn't go over the curb. The speed differential from that point onward was so huge Vettel had no choice but to initiate the overtake early. Hamilton had no chance.

fiohaa

decided to fast forward through this one. didn't miss a single thing apart from some pathetic over powered DRS overtakes down kemmel straight. 0 racing. 0 competition. Cars finish where they expected to. Drivers can't do anything.
This picture sums up everything wrong with F1:

zac510

fiohaa wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 18:45
decided to fast forward through this one. didn't miss a single thing apart from some pathetic over powered DRS overtakes down kemmel straight. 0 racing. 0 competition. Cars finish where they expected to. Drivers can't do anything.
I actually read all of this post. I didn't see anything new though, just the same old complaint, expecting every single race to be edge-of-seat viewing. Forgetting how many great races we've had already this season.
This post sums up everything wrong with F1 fans.

fiohaa

zac510 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 19:32
fiohaa wrote:
I actually read all of this post. I didn't see anything new though, just the same old complaint, expecting every single race to be edge-of-seat viewing. Forgetting how many great races we've had already this season.
What great races have we had this season exactly?
Exclude anything that has hinged on safety cars, and weather. And tell me. I'd love to hear it.

also LOL - you're the typical blinded F1 fan, Nope, can't criticise the 'sport' can we, it must be the FANS that are the problem. =D>

Zynerji

fiohaa wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 19:56
zac510 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 19:32
fiohaa wrote:
What great races have we had this season exactly?
Exclude anything that has hinged on safety cars, and weather. And tell me. I'd love to hear it.

also LOL - you're the typical blinded F1 fan, Nope, can't criticise the 'sport' can we, it must be the FANS that are the problem. =D>
When cars line up, fastest to slowest, wtf are you expecting? Magic?

Rain, safety cars, tyre strategy are all you have to shake up the starting order.

Get a grip, or a new sport.

maxxer

I dont mind 2 teams being dominant it has been like that for years and years already , but jeey the midfield , williams mclaren why dont they just stop now and start developing for next year.
How can williams even after testing in Hungary still be so --- what part of the car they still not understand it was painted in 6 layers of flowviz. Mclaren also such a big mouth on the chassis and it is absolutely --- with any engine in the world even a peugeot 205 gti engine would make it reache the same level.
No fights in midfield at all except bottas steaming through with the "horrible slow" mercedes.

roon

fiohaa wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/E58U7ge.jpg
If inconsistency is your thing, there are plenty of feeder series to follow.

NYGIANTS

Andres125sx wrote:

Opinions?
i agree somewhat... and my buddy and i were talking about it yesterday,...in that ocon had nothing to lose late braking into les combes for the potential lead.

vettel i would hope wouldn't do something stupid like fight him into the corner since he should only be fighting with lewis, and it would've been interesting restart if ocon was first and vettel and hamilton in 2nd and 3rd.

i think it was lewis and vettel compliments after qualifying is what got into his head, cause he braked a little early for my liking even though he had no where to go after they were 4 wide going into les combes.

NYGIANTS

fiohaa wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/E58U7ge.jpg
as a fan since 92, F1 has always been like this. its not a spec series so there will always be cars that will be lapped, and others that are 15+ secs behind the leader.

the only way to balance the grid is to prevent the top 3 teams from developing their car throughout the year, but that would be one of the many things real fans love about F1 and that's constant rate of development. i like the fact the cars in australia vs. now is faster, and same goes for year over year.

gdanielwesley

NYGIANTS wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Opinions?
i agree somewhat... and my buddy and i were talking about it yesterday,...in that ocon had nothing to lose late braking into les combes for the potential lead.

vettel i would hope wouldn't do something stupid like fight him into the corner since he should only be fighting with lewis, and it would've been interesting restart if ocon was first and vettel and hamilton in 2nd and 3rd.

i think it was lewis and vettel compliments after qualifying is what got into his head, cause he braked a little early for my liking even though he had no where to go after they were 4 wide going into les combes.
Even if Ocon managed to lead..then what? Lewis and Seb would have passed him without any problems. With the benefit of hindsight, only advantage would have been that he would have been ahead of Perez at that point. IMO, he couldn't have known that Perez was going to be ahead of him.

On the other hand if he had messed up, he might have taken out a lead car and ruined his own race. Doesn't make much sense to take so much risk for little reward.