2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Pany wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 22:04
To take latest details and give honda
basti313 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 20:50
skoop wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 20:42
Just a quick question:
I read somewhere (think it was on AMuS) that the installation of the Renault C-Spec engine is very complicated, the packaging is a nightmare and costs are about 1.00.000 $. Why are Red Bull even thingking about testing the engine in Monza when Renault themself is unsure about reliability and saying themself that packaging is a nightmare? Isn't Red Bull helping a competitor with this? Is it the data of the C-spec engine they're after?
Helping a competitor? Honda has proven, that track experience is not worth as much as one would expect.
On the other hand RedBull wants to win races this season. This is only possible with a more powerful engine. Even in SG for example you need power for the straight.
Renault engines come with Renault crew.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Espresso

skoop wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 20:42
Just a quick question:
I read somewhere (think it was on AMuS) that the installation of the Renault C-Spec engine is very complicated, the packaging is a nightmare and costs are about 1.00.000 $. Why are Red Bull even thingking about testing the engine in Monza when Renault themself is unsure about reliability and saying themself that packaging is a nightmare? Isn't Red Bull helping a competitor with this? Is it the data of the C-spec engine they're after?
They've already tested the engine on the dyno. The Spec C with the Exxon fuel maximizes performance. RBR take the calculated risk to just get a few podiums.

Since RBR has to change the lot they decided to take on the full Monty. Spec C engine with the new MGU-K and a (total) repackaging of all components.

Yes, it also helps Renault to have a guinea pig, but RBR can afford to take the risk and focus on winning single races this season.

Guess everybody (the whole field) is curious what the Spec C combined with the new MGU-K will do.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

zac510

I guess the ideal, most realistic race strategy for RBR generally involves getting a good place in the top6 in qualifying, then finish the race as 'best of the rest' with the engine turned down. In that scenario they mightn't actually stress the SpecC motor as much as Renault or McLaren who are battling in the midfield.

PhillipM

I would think they'll just run it flat out, if it turns out to be not enough to win the race they can blame the new renault for still not being good enough, and justify their Honda move again to the press, and if it blows up, just the same.

zac510

Too cynical :D

Sieper

But what if the cynical plans fails and they actually win the race (utopia) with the new spec c power, how would they then justify their switch to Honda?

Webber2011

Sieper wrote:
30 Aug 2018, 14:06
But what if the cynical plans fails and they actually win the race (utopia) with the new spec c power, how would they then justify their switch to Honda?
Probably say it was all down to their fuel upgrade, and they had to run conservatively towards the end as the engine was close to failing 😉

PhillipM

They'll say their repacking work together with the awesome chassis made up a second a lap and the new fuel was worth the rest ;)

Sieper

ahahahah, very likely (even in this most unlikely of events).

Actually, I do still have some hope for RBR, they run a almost non existent rear wing and last year they weren't that far of the pace.

Morteza

Apparently Gasly is too excited about his RB seat next season, he is already in Danny Ric's car :)
https://twitter.com/LaurentDupin_f1/sta ... 9574646784
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ground Effect

Maybe they'll call DJ Jaime Alguersuari...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

yener

Riciardo having a problem with the car, made it back to the pits. Anyone knows whats wrong? Has it something to do with the "spec3" which he is using.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

ivanlesk

yener wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 14:57
Riciardo having a problem with the car, made it back to the pits. Anyone knows whats wrong? Has it something to do with the "spec3" which he is using.
According to CH engine went in safe mode.

Renault installed new software / firmware and after that I believe it was ok.

yener

I really hope they are running the long stints, because the gap to Fer/Merc is big. Riciardo, on spec C not really impressive. Both on supersoft

1. S. Vettel - 1:21:105 (SS)
2. K. Räikkönen - 1:21:375 (SS)
3. L. Hamilton - 1:21:392 (SS)
4. V. Bottas - 1:21:803 (SS)
5. M. Verstappen - 1:22:154 (SS)
6. D. Ricciardo - 1:22:296 (SS)
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

dxpetrov

yener wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 16:06
I really hope they are running the long stints, because the gap to Fer/Merc is big. Riciardo, on spec C not really impressive. Both on supersoft

1. S. Vettel - 1:21:105 (SS)
2. K. Räikkönen - 1:21:375 (SS)
3. L. Hamilton - 1:21:392 (SS)
4. V. Bottas - 1:21:803 (SS)
5. M. Verstappen - 1:22:154 (SS)
6. D. Ricciardo - 1:22:296 (SS)
Riccardo's lap times are never impressive.
He tends to gain points by his opportunistic style and good fortune.