Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henry

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 02:51
roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 00:35
An intentionally textured floor would be distinguishable from waviness due to manufacturing limitations.
I see nothing in 3.7.5 distinguishing these variances as "manufacturing variations".

I mean, what if my mold had 3mm bumps in it, and made my floor look like a golf ball? Do I just have to prove it was unintended? Or say, STFU. You can't question anything under 3mm variance!
You would need to be able to prove your “bumps” were a manufacturing issue. The FIA might ask you to show the CAD files and the CAE files, and any other manufacturing instructions. They can’t, as you so eloquently put it, be told to mind their own business. I refer you to the lengths to which Ferrari had to go in respect of proving their ERS compliant.

I’m guessing this is where McLaren came unstuck by having a uniform taper over the length of the floor.
3.7.5 Tolerances
To help overcome any possible manufacturing problems, and not to permit any design which may contravene any part of these regulations, the following dimensional tolerances are permitted on bodywork situated between 430mm behind the front wheel centre line and the rear wheel centre line: a vertical tolerance of +/- 3mm is permissible across the surfaces lying on the reference and step planes and a horizontal tolerance of 3mm is permitted when assessing whether a surface is visible from beneath the car.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 02:51
Or say, STFU. You can't question anything under 3mm variance!
The stewards determine legality at each event. If they say "we don't like it, you can't run it" then you're screwed. Simple as that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zac510

They could just reduce the allowed manufacturing tolerance to 2mm too.

Zynerji

zac510 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 10:58
They could just reduce the allowed manufacturing tolerance to 2mm too.
This is my point.

Why have a tolerance at all if you can't use it?

CLKGTR

Little bit about RB14 Spa and Monza rear wings and comparison images

2018 Italian GP – Red Bull extreme low downforce rear wing

skitnik

4wd very much at 0:23??????!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/ChK_jYT_1iw wtf?

So that's how they're so fast with a renault powertrain. If this is legal, and none of the other teams figured such a loophole out, i see red-bull AND Torro rosso in the midfield.

F1Krof

Relax! There no 4 wheele drive. It was wet, the tires were coocked and definitely car had momentum, when he released the breakes the tires started spinning.
Wroom wroom

skitnik

This makes no sense to me. As soon the tires stop the momentum is gone!

Godius

Big Mangalhit

skitnik wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 15:11
This makes no sense to me. As soon the tires stop the momentum is gone!
Agreed it's a bit weitd. Maybe it's cause the car is sliding when he releases the breaks? Also the back tyres seem to start rolling backwards for a moment before he presses de gas pedal

PhillipM

It's not weird at all, the car is still sliding, he releases the brakes and the lateral force on the tyres has enough of a radial force to rotate them. You see it all the time, it's normal.

Claiming it's 4wd is #-o

skitnik

My engineer friend says: A momentum driven wheel is impossible to tell apart from a driven one. The only way one can destinguish them from one another is, if the wheel overturns. Because a momentuum driven wheel which jas physical contact to the ground can not overturn.

So the question is, does it overturn or not?

skitnik

PhillipM wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 15:45
It's not weird at all, the car is still sliding, he releases the brakes and the lateral force on the tyres has enough of a radial force to rotate them. You see it all the time, it's normal.

Claiming it's 4wd is #-o
possible that i'm overreacting, on the phone it looked like the front wheels overrun because of the vapour. but on the big screen it's hard to tell, because he's sliding sideways, tho almost backwards.

Sevach

Michiba

It definitely looks like there is force applied to the front wheels. So much torque that it breaks traction!