2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JonoNic

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

nevill3 wrote:Bottas was not sacrificed today, by keeping him out and holding up Kimi he benefited from fresher tyres at the end to be able to challenge Max and he would have passed him if he really needed to. The team knew he would not lose any places by staying out longer because of the gap to the rest of the field.
I'm not saying that Bottas was sacrificed. It's just easier to take advantage when the performance of these cars are so close.
Always find the gap then use it.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Spoutnik wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:00
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:50
Spoutnik wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:46
Hamilton need to finish his career at Ferrari
Why?
He may end up tied top on the all time championship’s table.
He will end up top on poles
He will end up top on wins.

I’m sure he’ll sleep fine.
Of course, but I think for all the support Ferrari got today, he would love that. Secondly I'd say if Vettel fail to win the championship this year, who is more capable of giving to Ferrari a new WDC ?
He is tied to Mercedes for the next 2 seasons. Even the great Schumacher’s skills dropped off as he aged.
By the time Hamilton possibly gets to be in red he could well be in the sunset of his career.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

It was great to see a battle for the lead for 80%+ of the race. When was the last time we saw 1-2 within a second for that duration?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Why on earth you're blaming the Merc strategy.
Bottas and Hamilton were issued the same problem. They're in the gearbox of their opponents, who stopped for tires not so much faster (half a second a lap), while the SS on the Merc were still good. So stop latter, and create a difference of performance. In reality that was the best way to help Hamilton to finish 1st and Bottas 3rd... (EDIT : Toto is saying on French TV that that was the best strategy for Valtteri himself and Lewis at the same time).
Last edited by Spoutnik on 02 Sep 2018, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

Fulcrum wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:04
It was great to see a battle for the lead for 80%+ of the race. When was the last time we saw 1-2 within a second for that duration?
yeah. Too bad that one was already at the start of the battle hindered with disintegrating rear tyre

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Fulcrum wrote:
What amazed me was that the Mercedes seemed more than happy sitting in the dirty air (Hamilton and Bottas).

Shrieker

JonoNic wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:39
I don't believe this Ferrari has an advantage crap. The way Hamilton caught Vettel was too easy
1- Hamilton was faster than both Ferraris in sector 1 in Q3 yesterday,
2- He had the benefit of a not one, but two car tow.
Last edited by Shrieker on 02 Sep 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sierra117

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:06
Fulcrum wrote:
What amazed me was that the Mercedes seemed more than happy sitting in the dirty air (Hamilton and Bottas).
They've really done a fantastic job with tyre life management.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

matt_b
matt_b

Spoutnik wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:06
Why on earth you're blaming the Merc strategy.
Bottas and Hamilton were issued the same problem. They're in the gearbox of their opponents, who stopped for tires not so much faster (half a second a lap), while the SS on the Merc were still good. So stop latter, and create a difference of performance. In reality that was the best way to help Hamilton to finish 1st and Bottas 3rd... (EDIT : Toto is saying on French TV that that was the best strategy for Valtteri himself and Lewis at the same time).
This =D>

Phil

I agree, fantastic race. A great thriller, great racing and very strategic too. Just had everything a race would want.

Kimi, for what it is worth drove masterfully. He too would have deserved the win.

Even Vettel drove extremely well to do damage limitation and i feel he conducted himself very well and fair post-race.

I am also really glad there were no penalties during the race, except Max. I didnt think Max’s move was that bad, but the 5 seconds felt ok because he cut the chicane a few laps before.

I also felt Dan drove terrible. Way too aggressive and bumping into Gasly was not clean racing. He might have been quicker but you cant plow into other cars like that.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

PlatinumZealot

JonoNic wrote:
I don't believe this Ferrari has an advantage crap. The way Hamilton caught Vettel was too easy
Three factors
Hamilton had better tyre prep on the formation lap
Slipstream
Vettel was setting up to pass Kimi instead of defending the line against Hamilton.

Erm the Mercedes was dropped by the Ferrari in the First stint. It was definitely the slower car.

Kimi lost out because of three things:
Vettel cracked under pressure instead of securing a Ferrari 1-2 after the first lap and getting two cars home in one peice
Ferrari did very little practice on the soft tyre so they didn't manage them well
Ferrari pitted too early and that forced Kimi to burn out his tyres in dirty air.

These reasons cost Ferrari an easy 1-2 in the better package.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Gr1ff
Gr1ff

Great race today. Fell asleep watching spa not monza.

Personally I think the tewards got it right on all accounts.

PlatinumZealot

Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:51
Juzh wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:34
I mean vettel came to within 8s of RAI and 16s of victory from the back of the grid with a quite severly damaged car. Another strategic blunder by ferrari, mainly done yesterday.
Mercedes is willing to use Bottas to delay the competition, Ferrari doesn't even change the running order to benefit their number 1. :roll:
How are Ferrari to change the running order when the number 1 driver crashes himself out contention on lap 1? :roll:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:10
JonoNic wrote:
Three factors
Hamilton had better tyre prep on the formation lap
Slipstream
Vettel was setting up to pass Kimi instead of defending the line against Hamilton.

Erm the Mercedes was dropped by the Ferrari in the First stint. It was definitely the slower car.

Kimi lost out because of three things:
Vettel cracked under pressure instead of securing a Ferrari 1-2 after the first lap and getting two cars home in one peice
Ferrari did very little practice on the soft tyre so they didn't manage them well
Ferrari pitted too early and that forced Kimi to burn out his tyres in dirty air.

These reasons cost Ferrari an easy 1-2 in the better package.
The bit in bold, are you referring to this race? Hamilton was within 1 second throughout the first stint.

I agree with your other points. Also, there was no need for Raikkonen to use his tyres so heavily after his first stop. Why were Ferrari advising Raikkonen so poorly? It felt like quite naive strategy on their part.
Last edited by Fulcrum on 02 Sep 2018, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

siskue2005

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:14
Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:51
Juzh wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:34
I mean vettel came to within 8s of RAI and 16s of victory from the back of the grid with a quite severly damaged car. Another strategic blunder by ferrari, mainly done yesterday.
Mercedes is willing to use Bottas to delay the competition, Ferrari doesn't even change the running order to benefit their number 1. :roll:
How are Ferrari to change the running order when the number 1 driver crashes himself out contention on lap 1? :roll:
:lol: :lol: