2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:14
Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:51
Juzh wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:34
I mean vettel came to within 8s of RAI and 16s of victory from the back of the grid with a quite severly damaged car. Another strategic blunder by ferrari, mainly done yesterday.
Mercedes is willing to use Bottas to delay the competition, Ferrari doesn't even change the running order to benefit their number 1. :roll:
How are Ferrari to change the running order when the number 1 driver crashes himself out contention on lap 1? :roll:
- Leaving aside exaggeration of Vet-Ham incident I don't understand either how they expected to use Raikkonen as nr 2 driver here?
- Winning in front of Hamilton would be the best way. Mercedes shamelessly used Bottas but so did Ferrari KR same way in the past.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

That was a thoroughly classic race! Lewis just keeps pulling them out of the bag! Pure quality!
Its panning out a great season.
Altogether, it was a Merc strategy masterclass.

Seb has thrown yet another one away.

For Ricciardo it was a race to forget. Vesterppen? That guy's the new Alonso, his poor attitude is poised to wreck his ambitions .

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sevach wrote:
Juzh wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:34
I mean vettel came to within 8s of RAI and 16s of victory from the back of the grid with a quite severly damaged car. Another strategic blunder by ferrari, mainly done yesterday.
Mercedes is willing to use Bottas to delay the competition, Ferrari doesn't even change the running order to benefit their number 1. :roll:
How are Ferrari to change the running order when the number 1 driver crashes himself out contention on lap 1? :roll:
Running order of qualifying.

F1NAC

Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sevach wrote:

Didn't Vettel exit right behind Hamilton? He could used him as a tow
Last edited by F1NAC on 02 Sep 2018, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

Gothrek wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 15:32
Lol, no penalty for Hamilton, lets crash your closest competitor...

Interesting tactics & tricks Mercedes
Most ridiculous comment yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously you´ve never raced yourself at any motorsport, if you want to crash your competitor, you´d do it from the inside, never from the outside :roll:

It was a risky, brave, and precise mover from Hamilton to take the lead (with Kimi in front, but you get what I mean). Vettel on the other hand tried to stop him when it was way too late, went too long (as if he´d be taking the corner with no cars around), and collided with Lewis

Vettel fault 100%. Normally he´d have caused Lewis to spin, wich IMHO is the reason he didn´t care about going too long and causing the contact, but rarely this time it was the car in the inside wich spun, I guess because the contact point on the Mercedes was centered, while the contacto point on the Ferrari was the front wheel, causing an unbalance on the red car wich made him spun

One more mistake for Vettel, I´m sure even if the will never admit it, a lot of Ferrari staff are missing Alonso right now

Zynerji

stuartpengs wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:36
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:45
foxmulder_ms wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:44

They did it twice. I dont think they were "fake". They just wanted do go for the opposite strategy for the 1st one. For the 2nd one they would have entered if the times by Hamilton were worse than Rai on softs, they weren't.
Once on the lap Rai pitted, then both laps after...

3 times
Why dummy a pitstop after Kimi had already pitted? It's not like it's going to force them to put again. :? After Kimi had pitted the mechanics came out in case Ham wanted to pit. It's not to force an opponent into a sub-optimal strategy as they've already pitted.
:roll: That's not why the rule is in place... :roll:

Harvester
Harvester

Shrieker wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:59
Harvester wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 15:29
Hamilton very lucky. To go through this without any damage unbelievable.
Why is he lucky... You sound like he did something wrong. He didn't. After Hamilton put his nose ahead round the outside, it was checkmate. Yet Vettel wanted to press the issue and fight a lost cause, slid both in the front and the rear, and went into Hamilton.
Well I don't think it was really checkmate. In my opinion even Hamilton knew there is high possibility of crash here. In fact I think if you take any two drivers in this situation a crash is more likely than not.
Last edited by Harvester on 02 Sep 2018, 18:00, edited 4 times in total.

NathanOlder

Fulcrum wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:18
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:10
JonoNic wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:39
I don't believe this Ferrari has an advantage crap. The way Hamilton caught Vettel was too easy
Three factors
Hamilton had better tyre prep on the formation lap
Slipstream
Vettel was setting up to pass Kimi instead of defending the line against Hamilton.

Erm the Mercedes was dropped by the Ferrari in the First stint. It was definitely the slower car.

Kimi lost out because of three things:
Vettel cracked under pressure instead of securing a Ferrari 1-2 after the first lap and getting two cars home in one peice
Ferrari did very little practice on the soft tyre so they didn't manage them well
Ferrari pitted too early and that forced Kimi to burn out his tyres in dirty air.

These reasons cost Ferrari an easy 1-2 in the better package.
The bit in bold, are you referring to this race? Hamilton was within 1 second throughout the first stint.

I agree with your other points. Also, there was no need for Raikkonen to use his tyres so heavily after his first stop. Why were Ferrari advising Raikkonen so poorly? It felt like quite naive strategy on their part.
Kimi had to push that hard otherwise lewis would have pitted after 1 or 2 laps and got the overcut. Kimi needed that pace
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Andres125sx wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:46
Gothrek wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 15:32
Lol, no penalty for Hamilton, lets crash your closest competitor...

Interesting tactics & tricks Mercedes
Most ridiculous comment yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously you´ve never raced yourself at any motorsport, if you want to crash your competitor, you´d do it from the inside, never from the outside :roll:

It was a risky, brave, and precise mover from Hamilton to take the lead (with Kimi in front, but you get what I mean). Vettel on the other hand tried to stop him when it was way too late, went too long (as if he´d be taking the corner with no cars around), and collided with Lewis

Vettel fault 100%. Normally he´d have caused Lewis to spin, wich IMHO is the reason he didn´t care about going too long and causing the contact, but rarely this time it was the car in the inside wich spun, I guess because the contact point on the Mercedes was centered, while the contacto point on the Ferrari was the front wheel, causing an unbalance on the red car wich made him spun

One more mistake for Vettel, I´m sure even if the will never admit it, a lot of Ferrari staff are missing Alonso right now
I think it’s more to do with that pair of corners. They are that close together and where the cars were that corner 4’s outside becomes corner 5’s inside. Hamilton was exactly between the 2 corners on contact so was probably already turning into turn 5.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 02 Sep 2018, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.

MtthsMlw

Zynerji

I never liked this track, tbh. Even SIM racing always seemed to expose how awful it is. It's almost like it promotes a "late brake, back out or crash" scenario.

Tracks like Suzuka, Silverstone and Spa were always the tactical racing line tracks from that experience.

Sevach
Sevach

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:42
Rumours are that Raikkonen has lost his seat. How the hell will that help Vettel? Why should Raikkonen help Ferrari now?
If he isn't willing to follow the orders of his employers he should be replaced with immediate effect.

stuartpengs

Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:46
stuartpengs wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:36
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 16:45

Once on the lap Rai pitted, then both laps after...

3 times
Why dummy a pitstop after Kimi had already pitted? It's not like it's going to force them to put again. :? After Kimi had pitted the mechanics came out in case Ham wanted to pit. It's not to force an opponent into a sub-optimal strategy as they've already pitted.
:roll: That's not why the rule is in place... :roll:
All teams do it and no-one complains about it (apart from the occasional disgruntled fan who only sees it when it's done by a competitor). If Ferrari were bluffed into an earlier stop for Kimi (I don't believe they were), then they really need to work on strategy. Merc didn't technically break any rules - if they instructed Ham to pit if Kimi stays out, then it's required that the pit crew are ready and in position. Kimi pitted, they stayed out. After that it was just precaution in case Ham wanted to pit (depending on sector times). The strategy hand was dealt when Ferrari decided to pit.
Last edited by stuartpengs on 02 Sep 2018, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

F1NAC wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:45
Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Didn't Vettel exit right behind Hamilton? He could used him as a tow
I was saying this yesterday, Vettel had a chance to be exactly how close he wanted to be to hamilton. He was about 5 seconds away from Lewis. Kimi was about 4 seconds from Seb.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

Sevach wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:58
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:42
Rumours are that Raikkonen has lost his seat. How the hell will that help Vettel? Why should Raikkonen help Ferrari now?
If he isn't willing to follow the orders of his employers he should be replaced with immediate effect.
offcourse kimi will be exit, he helps hamilton