2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

I think Ferrari paid the price for not bringing more soft tyres. They didn’t prepare how to use them. Strange decision

nevill3

Haas are appealing the decision to exclude Grosjean
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

iotar__

- Classic F1 - Haas got a slap for questioning open cheating in favour of Force Stroll hybryd. F1 is a sham, scam and a farce. FIA perpetrating the fraud? :shock: Shocking.
- Meanwhile Todt's son is getting another driver at Ferrari.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GrandAxe wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:42
Has anyone tried F1 TV?
It doesn't seem like they stream live races for UK viewers.
If you want F1 next year in the UK, you either pay Sky or find an illegal online stream.

Welcome to F1's attempt to win viewers..? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

turbof1 wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 17:38
if the tone if some persons does not improve, we will be forced to temporary lock the topic and hand out warnings. Please, stay respectful, but to eachother AND the drivers.
How about deleting the blatant fan baiting rubbish from certain users?

It seems there's no point reporting such things as they are ignored. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

maxxer
maxxer

Williams in the points ! lets hope they can keep this up , with a good engine in the back should be more possible

nevill3

Both Williams drivers in the points!!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:51
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:42
Has anyone tried F1 TV?
It doesn't seem like they stream live races for UK viewers.
If you want F1 next year in the UK, you either pay Sky or find an illegal online stream.

Welcome to F1's attempt to win viewers..? :roll:
So, even when there is an alternative that seems great, UK viewers are clobbered with bad choices from both sides. :cry:
Its another classic pincer movement carried out with "precision" by F1.

Edax
Edax

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 20:28
Brake Horse Power wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 19:52
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 19:34
He doesn’t need to be past he needs to be alongside. He was and then Verstappen decided he wanted to be on the 1 car width of track that Bottas was on.
Like Sieper said, the green area is used on other parts of the track as well. Why is it now not a valid part of the track? Of course it is controversial, but the move of VES was with an idea, I think it is too easy to state it is just a dumb move.
Can you point me to these others parts of the track where it’s ok to force another car onto them?
Apparenly the first chicane. :roll: Vettel does the exact same thing to Hamilton when they enter the corner. In fact Hamilton has two wheels over the white line and there is not much but a hair between their front tires.

But I do agree, squeezing an opponent before a corner is fair, but these actions were too much. A cars width should be measured between the car and the inside of the white line, not whatever driveable surface is out there. So the penalty is OK.

But I also can understand. The Red Bull is currently in no mans land, 30 seconds adrift of the next car. Ves could land a comfortable fifth in any race, with the engine tuned down. But you would only see the car at the start and in the result table.

Smart thing, points wise, would have been to have Bottas pass on lap 5 and concentrate on fending of vettel. But by taking the fight to Mercedes, it may have cost him 2 points, but gained RB 30 mins of tv coverage, and showed his possible future (2020) employer Mercedes, that he has the measure on Bottas. But in order to be able to do that he has to take everything out of the car and the rules there is, since the car is not quick enough.

Zynerji

With the Grosjean DQ, can he fit a new gearbox for Singapore?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Edax wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 23:22
Restomaniac wrote:
Brake Horse Power wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 19:52

Like Sieper said, the green area is used on other parts of the track as well. Why is it now not a valid part of the track? Of course it is controversial, but the move of VES was with an idea, I think it is too easy to state it is just a dumb move.
Can you point me to these others parts of the track where it’s ok to force another car onto them?
Apparenly the first chicane. :roll: Vettel does the exact same thing to Hamilton when they enter the corner. In fact Hamilton has two wheels over the white line and there is not much but a hair between their front tires.

But I do agree, squeezing an opponent before a corner is fair, but these actions were too much. A cars width should be measured between the car and the inside of the white line, not whatever driveable surface is out there. So the penalty is OK.

But I also can understand. The Red Bull is currently in no mans land, 30 seconds adrift of the next car. Ves could land a comfortable fifth in any race, with the engine tuned down. But you would only see the car at the start and in the result table.

Smart thing, points wise, would have been to have Bottas pass on lap 5 and concentrate on fending of vettel. But by taking the fight to Mercedes, it may have cost him 2 points, but gained RB 30 mins of tv coverage, and showed his possible future (2020) employer Mercedes, that he has the measure on Bottas. But in order to be able to do that he has to take everything out of the car and the rules there is, since the car is not quick enough.
You’re comparing a start with just 2 cars. That comparison doesn’t work.
What Verstappen did was a slam dunk penalty.
There is no way Mercedes would currently take on the loose cannon that is Max Verstappen. He has the talent but currently is unable to take any criticism or see anyone else’s point of view. There is now way a machine like Mercedes-AMG takes on somebody who thinks he is bigger than everybody else in it.

Jolle
Jolle

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 23:32
Edax wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 23:22
Restomaniac wrote:

You’re comparing a start with just 2 cars. That comparison doesn’t work.
What Verstappen did was a slam dunk penalty.
There is no way Mercedes would currently take on the loose cannon that is Max Verstappen. He has the talent but currently is unable to take any criticism or see anyone else’s point of view. There is now way a machine like Mercedes-AMG takes on somebody who thinks he is bigger than everybody else in it.
I agree that the penalty was correct. Just a squeeze of a few inches too much...

But attacking him that he was upset with the penalty and don't take public criticism. There are many of them on the grid, even during this race. Vettel moaning about Hamilton while it was clearly his fault, or Alonso who's kinda nasty against Magnussen and HAAS after Q. By default drivers rarely, very rarely admit their mistakes, it's not a flaw, its what racers do.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Edax wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:39
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:25
Edax wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:22

I think them destroying their tires is a consequence of the position they were in. It would not surprise me if Ferrari went marginal on brake cooling and wing expecting them running in clean air. Raikkonen destroyed his tires (front and back) when running behind Bottas, but when he Bottas pitted they seemed to stabilise again. I think a combination of a bit too much sliding and too high brake temps when following other cars could explain it.
Erm.......Raikkonen’s first set were showing major wear and he was sat out front. In fact Hamilton’s tyres were in better nick in Raikkonen’s dirty air.
I could be mistaken, but I thought Rai first set was relatively OK, it was his second set which showed severe blistering within a few laps.
No major signs I agree but as much as they looked ok they still wouldn’t pit him unless they were causing Raikkonen issues.

Raikkonen’s rear left had gone within 10 laps. That’s just not normal, dirty air or not.
Remember Hamilton sat in Raikkonen’s dirty air for over 20 laps on tyres that had also done qualifying and they were still in better nick Raikkonen’s after 10 and Raikkonen was on the supposed harder tyre.

If I’m Ferrari I’m worrying about my tyre wear issues at Singapore. If they are behind another car they are screwed it seems. That’s somewhat of a role reversal.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Can anyone explain the Haas DQ in more detail, is the another thread showing how their car is now illegal?

RZS10

drunkf1fan wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 21:40
The team screwed up though, he lost a lot of time defending against Bottas even after that when he was losing the position anyway. The faster car was stuck behind, let him through, stop defending and use Bottas's faster cars tow to try to stay 5 seconds ahead of Vettel. In fact had the team told him to let him through immediately the stewards may not have penalised him. Even if he gives up 4th to Vettel, he was risking Bottas and him not finishing which would have cost him even worse.
Judging by the team radio i tend to believe that he was told about the ever closing gap to Vettel and was probably also advised to just let Bottas go but he said he didn't care and threw away P4