2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed
max_speed

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:10
His tenure as technical director at Ferrari weren't great but then as a TD you can only be as good as the sum of all the parts. They had correlation problem there too at that time. Depends on what they ask of him. He would make a good temp technical director.
yes he is pretty average. at ferrari he sucked big time. i do not think it is a great signing. in short choosing best from rest. i would have loved to see bob fernly in mclaren. he did well in force india.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

max_speed wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:58
diffuser wrote:
His tenure as technical director at Ferrari weren't great but then as a TD you can only be as good as the sum of all the parts. They had correlation problem there too at that time. Depends on what they ask of him. He would make a good temp technical director.
yes he is pretty average. at ferrari he sucked big time. i do not think it is a great signing. in short choosing best from rest. i would have loved to see bob fernly in mclaren. he did well in force india.
Bob Fernley was deputy Team Principal, how will he help Mclaren's Technical department? Or do you mean Dave Green?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

max_speed wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:58
diffuser wrote:
If you're talking about Pat Fry 'sucking big time', you might want to do some research about the positions you're talking about. Because you sound like a fool.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not really going to make much difference to next years car anyway, most of the base stuff like the chassis, gearbox, etc, are pretty much decided bar tweaks as aero and packaging develops, we already know the chassis/wheelbase is longer, completely new gearbox at the back with new suspension pickups, sidepod entries completely revised, etc.

RonDennis
RonDennis

PhillipM wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:16
It's not really going to make much difference to next years car anyway, most of the base stuff like the chassis, gearbox, etc, are pretty much decided bar tweaks as aero and packaging develops, we already know the chassis/wheelbase is longer, completely new gearbox at the back with new suspension pickups, sidepod entries completely revised, etc.
I don't even believe these people are actually designing parts. They are there to lead.

Benii6
Benii6

PhillipM wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:16
Longer wheelbase? Where did you pick up on that?

PhillipM
PhillipM

RonDennis wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:23
I don't even believe these people are actually designing parts. They are there to lead.
Yes, and to give an overall direction, but that's already decided, all the big stuff and decisions are laid down already.
They're going to be making a difference for 2020 onwards in terms of the performance, next year will just be them restructuring. A few people on here saying 2019 will be crap with this guy or great with this guy are way out on timescales.
This is why Mclaren aren't going to play ball with RB/TR over James Key. They don't care if they have to wait until next year.

RonDennis
RonDennis

PhillipM wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:40
RonDennis wrote:
Yes, and to give an overall direction, but that's already decided, all the big stuff and decisions are laid down already.
They're going to be making a difference for 2020 onwards in terms of the performance, next year will just be them restructuring. A few people on here saying 2019 will be crap with this guy or great with this guy are way out on timescales.
This is why Mclaren aren't going to play ball with RB/TR over James Key. They don't care if they have to wait until next year.
Yeah exactly, seeing Alonso's luck in the last couple of years I wouldn't even be surprised if the cars turns out pretty good. :lol:

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:34
PhillipM wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
Yeah exactly, seeing Alonso's luck in the last couple of years I wouldn't even be surprised if the cars turns out pretty good. :lol:
I think Mclaren do tend to have alternate good/bad years (or latterly bad/worse years) so keeping in mind they said this week they 'found something' fingers crossed
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

M840TR
M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:37
RonDennis wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

I think Mclaren do tend to have alternate good/bad years (or latterly bad/worse years) so keeping in mind they said this week they 'found something' fingers crossed
Source?

RonDennis
RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Source?
He's just referring to the setup change last weekend. McLaren said some weeks ago that they know what went wrong and that the solutions can't be applied to the 2018 design, which is done for some months now.

Big Tea

M840TR wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Source?
As Ron Dennis says ( the poster not the manager), that is what I refer to. Did a quick search but can not seem to come up with it. He said something along the lines after qualifying. He did not say what though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah they might have discovered that having a low donwforce setup at a low downforce track does make an improvment hehehehehehehhe

mclaren111

BrunoH wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 13:06
yeah they might have discovered that having a low donwforce setup at a low downforce track does make an improvment hehehehehehehhe
=D> :D :D =D>

McG

BrunoH wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 13:06
This.

Alonso said they "found something", probably referring to the setup for that race or even in himself, then Kravitz kind of blew it up, intentionally or not I don't know. Waffle definitely didn't find anything.

mclaren111 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 16:53

=D> :D :D =D>
Ugh. Hardly.
Last edited by McG on 05 Sep 2018, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
F1 is dead.