[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Team_Bart wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:47
CAEdevice wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:02
I think so, once compliant with the 10mm thickness rule. What do you mean exactly?
I was thinking it was allowed to put thin fences (like 1mm thick for example) in the front and rear diffuser, but when reading it again, I think this was wrong. It is allowed to make them thinner, but they have to be 10mm thick somewhere and for 2/3 of its length at least, am I right?
Yes, I confirm.

Team_Bart

Thanks Matteo!
How do you create those fancy figures of your wing and diffuser :wtf:

machin

etsmc wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 03:01

my latest results on the long setting are
cd=0.883
cl=-3.612
cl/cd=-4.091
cop=1.66
Out of interest, can Matteo (CAE_Device) advise how these figures compare to the "Intro" car that he has released? It would be interesting to see how well your car performs if you take the wings and diffuser directly off his car and put them on yours (Or copy them as closely as you can)....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

etsmc

Team_Bart wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:13
Thanks Matteo!
How do you create those fancy figures of your wing and diffuser :wtf:
The images that are not from the podt processing in mantium flow are produced using software called paraview. Someone a couple of years ago i think in the kvrc days did a little write up on how to do it. When i am bac at my computer i will try and write a quick summary on how.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 13:41
etsmc wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 03:01

my latest results on the long setting are
cd=0.883
cl=-3.612
cl/cd=-4.091
cop=1.66
Out of interest, can Matteo (CAE_Device) advise how these figures compare to the "Intro" car that he has released? It would be interesting to see how well your car performs if you take the wings and diffuser directly off his car and put them on yours (Or copy them as closely as you can)....
Hi, I can make the intro car results public (there is a link somewhere in this thread).

The data are:

Cd = 0.853
Cl = -4.283
CoP = 1.75 (corrected 1.70)
Cl/Cd = -5.023

Here is the link to the pictures:

www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/2018/MP00 ... report.zip

etsmc

Well now you have posted that matteo I could not wait to see the latest results for my car so i have had to remote login to work for the numbers.
Here they are:
cd = 0.856
cl = -3.688
cl/cd = 4.308
cop = 1.61

Interestingly its a reduction in drag and slight increase in downforce over the previous results with a shift of the CoP towards the front and i only changed parts at the rear of the car.

I have not had a chance to look at the post processing images to see what has happened.

The difference in the front and rear wing between the 2 runs show where the shift in CoP has come from though

new rw
cl/cd -5.343
fw
cl/cd = -10.293

old rw
cl/cd = -6.101
fw
cl/cd = -10.147

i have a feeling that the change of angle of the main flap on the rearwing i will now have to adjust the secondary flap angle and gap to suit.

CAEdevice

Very good numbers!

RicME85

etsmc wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 05:37
I will have a go at the diffuser strakes but not confident in getting a nice curved shape easily in sketchup and having it matte with the diffuser properly.
Have you tried using last years CAESES app? https://www.caeses.com/products/caeses/ ... pp/racecar
It is great for designing diffuser strakes, can then import them in to Sketchup

etsmc

RicME85 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 18:06
etsmc wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 05:37
I will have a go at the diffuser strakes but not confident in getting a nice curved shape easily in sketchup and having it matte with the diffuser properly.
Have you tried using last years CAESES app? https://www.caeses.com/products/caeses/ ... pp/racecar
It is great for designing diffuser strakes, can then import them in to Sketchup
I had not thought of that but i have managed to create the shape i wanted in sketchup after a bit of trial and error and now it should be a simple process.

I have done up a quick write up of opening case files in paraview. here is a link https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yt8w4vln2beq ... .docx?dl=0
do with it what you will if anyone wants to improve on it or at least make it look better that would be appreciated.

Team_Bart

etsmc wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 03:12

I have done up a quick write up of opening case files in paraview. here is a link https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yt8w4vln2beq ... .docx?dl=0
do with it what you will if anyone wants to improve on it or at least make it look better that would be appreciated.
Very nice, thanks!

etsmc

I don't think i will reveal the numbers for the latest run but i will say it would have given me a 3rd place in the Le Mans Race!!! but i am sure others have made progress. 1 week to make some final tweaks, don't think i will hit the podium in sepang but hope i will be a little closer.

etsmc

Just been looking through the cars from the last race and i believe that the Team Bart car also breaches the rules in the same way that the CAEdevice car did.
Possibly the perspective of the image but the horizontal section between the vertical sections of the end plate.
The horizontal section appears to span more that 25mm when viewed from behind the car.
Only reason i have picked up on this is it was a ruel breach i was picked up on for round 1 2017 for a design very similar

machin

etsmc wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 04:44
Just been looking through the cars from the last race and i believe that the Team Bart car also breaches the rules in the same way that the CAEdevice car did.
Possibly the perspective of the image but the horizontal section between the vertical sections of the end plate.
The horizontal section appears to span more that 25mm when viewed from behind the car.
Only reason i have picked up on this is it was a ruel breach i was picked up on for round 1 2017 for a design very similar
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rr-024.png
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... m_rule.png
I can’t say for sure without double-checking the model but I think that part looks like it is within the bodywork volume, so it’s ok....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Btw, I corrected the wing support and the loss of efficiency was small but not negligible: from 6.25 to 6.15.

Maybe Team Bart wing is legal, as Machin wrote, it depends on the position of the supports inside the rear wing volume. Mine was illegal, despite the illegal volume was very small.

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 04:44
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rr-024.png
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... m_rule.png
There is a certain chance that things have gone unnoticed through the compliance checks, you can always be lucky. If something was not spotted last race that does not make it legal in future, so please all have a good look at the rules (which potentially contain mistakes or loopholes...).
In this case, I just checked the wing and it is OK. Different rules apply in the rear wing volume and the bodywork volume.

I was on a short vacation and am now back. I will probably release a new version of MantiumFlow this weekend. It will not contain anything special, just a few additional post-processing features. The most important is almost the most boring as a line is exported with all the relevant values for the Virtual Stop Watch which can get copy-pasted for your convenience.