2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langedweil

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

foxmulder_ms wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 14:50
langedweil wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 05:43
Never read the term ‘petulant’ as much as in this thread. Sad, cuz to me this forum is about a bunch of well educated people with tons of insight.

Anyway, personally I’m all up for more wheel-banging-road-rage racing instead of a bunch of nursing robots without any hunger for being the hero of the day .. it’s hardcore racing, no hoolahoop-contest.
But hey, it’s just my opinion ..
"wheel-banging-road-rage racing" does not require talent. It just requires one to not care about accidents. I can do it.
No you can’t, and yes it does ...
HuggaWugga !

Andres125sx

Surprisingly, I agree 100% with Nico :o

maxxer

Seems that the low downforce rear wings brought racing back , slipstreaming instead of drs overtakes. Being able to stay within a second of other cars

Sierra117

maxxer wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:24
Seems that the low downforce rear wings brought racing back , slipstreaming instead of drs overtakes. Being able to stay within a second of other cars
It's more to do with the track layout; long straights and fast corners. Same thing happens at Silverstone. As for wings, the front wing is the real culprit when it comes to following cars.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Schuttelberg

Is it just me or does anyone else feel Rosberg is absolutely desperate to be heard ever since he hung up his helmet?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 02:34
Is it just me or does anyone else feel Rosberg is absolutely desperate to be heard ever since he hung up his helmet?
He was called courageous because he left the sport to spend time with his wife and family.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Schuttelberg

TAG wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 02:39
Schuttelberg wrote:
He was called courageous because he left the sport to spend time with his wife and family.
Well, I'm no one to judge his personal life or what he does in it. I just find it a bit low of him to go about dissing his peers after he decided to quit. He knows the sport, it's pressures and how it must feel to have people analyse you with a microscope 24*7.

May be I am wrong, but it just tastes really bad coming from him.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GrandAxe

Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 02:43
TAG wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Well, I'm no one to judge his personal life or what he does in it. I just find it a bit low of him to go about dissing his peers after he decided to quit. He knows the sport, it's pressures and how it must feel to have people analyse you with a microscope 24*7.

+1
Bringing a guy like that back to comment on those who have stayed back to prolong the sport is just one of the many ways F1 shafts itself.

foxmulder_ms

Schuttelberg wrote:
?? They are *paying* him to be there! lol.. He is doing some youtube things too but I bet it is with the direction of the sponsors.

Schuttelberg

I love how Nico gives his 'insights' on Lewis' psychology. I also love how he gives him backhanded compliments. It almost feels like he's stroking his own ego. He won his championship, good on him but there's no need to be a prick in his retirement days. F1 is awfully more exciting with Hamilton and Vettel fighting for wins and championships than when he was fighting Lewis. Personally, he loses respect every time he opens his mouth these days.

Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 04:26
I love how Nico gives his 'insights' on Lewis' psychology. I also love how he gives him backhanded compliments. It almost feels like he's stroking his own ego. He won his championship, good on him but there's no need to be a prick in his retirement days. F1 is awfully more exciting with Hamilton and Vettel fighting for wins and championships than when he was fighting Lewis. Personally, he loses respect every time he opens his mouth these days.
Indeed. ‘Lewis is the best’ whilst wearing a poop eating grin on his face waiting for one of them to bring up his WDC in direct competition to Hamilton.

alexx_88

I think Nico deserves that praise. He didn't settle with a comfortable #2 (like Bottas is doing right now) and pushed Lewis really hard while working with, what a lot of us agree to be, less natural ability. What he did, the hard work he put in and how he covered absolutely everything through ungodly amounts of preparation is a really nice story of success and how the underdog can fight his way through.

Andres125sx

Schuttelberg wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 02:43
TAG wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

A former F1 driver and World Champion analysing a F1 race is a bad thing? Since when exactly?

Are you sure your red tinted glasses towards Vettel, and Rosberg´s obvious critics to Vettel mistake in Monza are not confusing you? :P

He´s a former Mercedes driver, it shouldn´t be a surprise if he´s biased toward the germans. But sincerely, after Monza his bias is almost undetectable, as Lewis race was actually awesome and Vettel made one of those mistakes wich may be critical in the title battle. Actually in both battles for the WDC and WCC so even when he surely is biased, this time he´s been perfectly accurate. Sorry if Vettel fans and tifossis don´t like it :wink:

Sierra117

alexx_88 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 09:07
I think Nico deserves that praise. He didn't settle with a comfortable #2 (like Bottas is doing right now) and pushed Lewis really hard while working with, what a lot of us agree to be, less natural ability. What he did, the hard work he put in and how he covered absolutely everything through ungodly amounts of preparation is a really nice story of success and how the underdog can fight his way through.
The problem became that their rivalry began to split the team. Bottas also did not have the childhood friendship/rivalry with Lewis that causes that driving force to compete so fiercely, so the team is in much more harmony as there is no history. Perhaps if these two stay together for the next few years, they'll build up enough of a relationship to create a more serious rivalry, so it doesn't make sense to say Bottas is settling for #2 when it's only his 2nd year working with Lewis in a new team.

I would also argue that he's not "settling" for #2. He hasn't managed to beat Lewis recently so now, with half the season over, he's naturally and mathematically in a #2 spot. And as many have said several times before, it's a team sport so at a certain point the team result becomes #1 priority. Especially now when Ferrari and Mercedes are closely matched. I much rather prefer team vs team than the eventually-self-destructive teammate vs teammate.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

WaikeCU

Sierra117 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:14
alexx_88 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 09:07
The problem became that their rivalry began to split the team. Bottas also did not have the childhood friendship/rivalry with Lewis that causes that driving force to compete so fiercely, so the team is in much more harmony as there is no history. Perhaps if these two stay together for the next few years, they'll build up enough of a relationship to create a more serious rivalry, so it doesn't make sense to say Bottas is settling for #2 when it's only his 2nd year working with Lewis in a new team.

I would also argue that he's not "settling" for #2. He hasn't managed to beat Lewis recently so now, with half the season over, he's naturally and mathematically in a #2 spot. And as many have said several times before, it's a team sport so at a certain point the team result becomes #1 priority. Especially now when Ferrari and Mercedes are closely matched. I much rather prefer team vs team than the eventually-self-destructive teammate vs teammate.
Off-topic:
I think Bottas' problem is that he's just not as fast as the likes of Hamilton, Vettel and Max at the moment. So if I was him, I would just make the best of it, since he's driving perhaps (one of) the fastest cars of the grid. I think he's a great 'team' person to have with in a team, a great worker, driver and a loyal one. I think all teams could use a driver like him. So if Merc are happy with him and Lewis is happy with him, Bottas should not make a fuss about being 2nd driver and just drive that Merc. It's his best chance of getting some race wins under his belt at the very moment. He's the Finnish David Coulthard, Eddie Irvine or Gerhard Berger imo. Kind of reminds me of Kovalainen during Lewis' Mclaren days, but a lot faster than him.