2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Snorked
Snorked

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Hopefully Marko holds off on making any driver decision until Mercedes decide what to do about their junior program. If it's coming to an end, Ocon and Russell would be a nice pairing.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Snorked wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 12:23
Hopefully Marko holds off on making any driver decision until Mercedes decide what to do about their junior program. If it's coming to an end, Ocon and Russell would be a nice pairing.
I'm pretty sure that they won't risk having two Mercedes drivers in 2nd team with no backup for 1st.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 11:53
I like Red Bull, and Really like STR, but I wish Helmut would stop nagging about taking their toys home. Do it or shut up.
It seems every couple of months there is a headline 'Red Bull to quit F1' (and VW to enter).

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with, His wife was always going to leave him if..... They are still married after 30 od years though.
:D That literally made me laugh out loud
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

For 2019, Toro Rosso says, "It's not a shortlist, but rather a longlist," smiles the Austrian, adding, "There are ten names on it."
Marko says, "It's not going to be one with a Mercedes tie." However, he also notes, "Everything's possible."
http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/1 ... stieg.html
:lol:

Wouter

Big Tea wrote:
I like Red Bull, and Really like STR, but I wish Helmut would stop nagging about taking their toys home. Do it or shut up.
It seems every couple of months there is a headline 'Red Bull to quit F1' (and VW to enter).

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with, His wife was always going to leave him if..... They are still married after 30 od years though.

It is only a headline to interest the readers.

Dr. Marko: "We are happy to have a great partner with Honda for the next few years. However, should this cooperation - for whatever reason - not work as expected, Red Bull would only be leaving the Formula One. »

But Dr. But Marko immediately makes it clear: "The partnership with Honda is going very well so far with Toro Rosso and will continue to work with Red Bull Racing in 2019." The Le Mans winner of the year 1971 already made the optimistic forecast stand out: "We will Clear ahead of Renault in 2019. »
The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Wouter wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:45
Big Tea wrote:

Dr. Marko: "We are happy to have a great partner with Honda for the next few years. However, should this cooperation - for whatever reason - not work as expected, Red Bull would only be leaving the Formula One. »

But Dr. But Marko immediately makes it clear: "The partnership with Honda is going very well so far with Toro Rosso and will continue to work with Red Bull Racing in 2019." The Le Mans winner of the year 1971 already made the optimistic forecast stand out: "We will Clear ahead of Renault in 2019. »
When will they clear Mercedes and Ferrari? That should be the real target.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

nzjrs

McMika98 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 07:26
These guys need to get their elbows out at start and restarts. Most of the time they go backwards or are victim of other driver aggression.
I just saw the onboards and in this case Ericsson just hit him with 2m of track on his right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bCXbKgL_w

Surprising how easily the suspension failed, especially in the context of the Silverstone crash.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 10:48
McMika98 wrote:
These guys need to get their elbows out at start and restarts. Most of the time they go backwards or are victim of other driver aggression.
I just saw the onboards and in this case Ericsson just hit him with 2m of track on his right!

Surprising how easily the suspension failed, especially in the context of the Silverstone crash.
I am supprised how quickly they both caught and passed him. he started moving soon enough, just seemed not to pick up.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Snorked
Snorked

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToroRosso/st ... 8940305408

So now that's Hartley and Buemi who've had recent seat fittings.

Do we have the 2019 driver lineup?

McMika98
McMika98

Yes. Sounds like the focus has already shifted to next year chassis. Gasly had his seat fitted at RedBull, and Honda have been eating through RB gearboxes. Expecting to see next year car in Abu Dhabi testing.

Jerrycobra
Jerrycobra

Big Tea wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 13:47
nzjrs wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 10:48
McMika98 wrote:

I am supprised how quickly they both caught and passed him. he started moving soon enough, just seemed not to pick up.
Hartley probably didn't get his clutch bite point right, but he also tends to loose spots on the 1st lap which does not help his cause.

Karim28
Karim28

I see that the TR drivers' starts are very poor
It's rare overtaking the other cars with them
Is it a clutch problem in the car or what ?

ispano6

Which races exactly? I thought Gasly had some pretty decent starts. Bahrain and Monza were pretty good, Hungary was pretty decent as well, so was Monaco.

There have been a few times where Gasly held up a faster Hartley at the starts too. Goes to show the best starts are usually by those with the most experience.

It is also possible Honda has the most underdeveloped launch mode or there is a reliability threshold that prevents faster getaways. Or maybe it's just more drag.

Thunder18
Thunder18

Alonso had some amazing starts with the Honda powered McLaren, I think both drivers are just too cautious after being taken out at the start a few time this season.

Thunder18
Thunder18

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:24
Wouter wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:45
Big Tea wrote:

When will they clear Mercedes and Ferrari? That should be the real target.
Honda has always said their goal was to surpass Mercedes and of course I'm sure that's what all manufacturers want to do, but it's highly complex and with gains still being made by Mercedes and now even more so Ferrari, I wonder what Honda have in store. They might no need to make the gains if RB keep producing a dominant chassis, but I would hope that goal is still there and they don't have to rely on RB to improve their situation.