Helmut Marko: Red Bull 2021 with Honda or exit
Will the Formula 1 World Championship start in 2021 without Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso? That's quite possible, the race boss Dr. Helmut Marko look through.
What does Formula 1 look like in three years? It is also conceivable that it is a Formula 1 without Red Bull. Because the Graz Red Bull racing boss Dr. Helmut Marko says at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza: "We are happy to have a great partner with Honda for the next few years. However, should this cooperation - for whatever reason - not work as expected, Red Bull would only be leaving the Formula One. »
There are two reasons for the fact that there is only Honda or nothing for Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso: Of the current engine manufacturers, two (Mercedes and Ferrari) refuse Red Bull as customers, leaving Renault at the end of this season for a broken relationship.
And the change in the engine regulations from 2021, accelerated not only by Red Bull, but also by other private teams, to bring new manufacturers to Formula One through a simplified hybrid system, is practically off the table. It fails because of the resistance of the current four engine manufacturers - including Honda. This will most likely not be a Formula 1 return from Porsche, Cosworth or even Aston Martin (as engine manufacturer).
Dr. But Marko immediately makes it clear: "The partnership with Honda is going very well so far with Toro Rosso and will continue to work with Red Bull Racing in 2019." The Le Mans winner of the year 1971 already made the optimistic forecast stand out: "We will Clear ahead of Renault in 2019. »
It had obviously not lacked much, and Formula 1 would have already lost for 2018 Honda. Marko continues: "After the McLaren disaster, Honda was close to retiring from F1 at the end of 2017. We had to convince the Japanese in some intensive talks to start with us again. »
Open to drivers is Toro Rosso in 2019, when Pierre Gasly will replace Australian Daniel Ricciardo at Red Bull Racing. The chances of the current Toro Rosso driver Brendon Hartley are mixed results mixed: "There should be a significant increase in the last season's races," Marko confirms, but excludes a replacement of the New Zealander during the season.
For 2019, Toro Rosso says, "It's not a shortlist, but rather a longlist," smiles the Austrian, adding, "There are ten names on it."
Marko says, "It's not going to be one with a Mercedes tie." However, he also notes, "Everything's possible."
A name had to be canceled on Monday: Lando Norris will race for the 2019 for McLaren . If the Englishman had not received a Formula 1 car from the traditional English racing stable, he would have been free to leave McLaren.