McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL33

Honestly, the saddest thing about this car is you know they've got some great aero guys - the rear wing, front wing, old nose, bargboard/tub connection, floor strakes, etc, etc, are all being copied up and down the grid - and yet the guys that came up with it all can't get the benefit because of what eventually boils down to a packaging issue #-o

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marvin78

PhillipM wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 15:36
Honestly, the saddest thing about this car is you know they've got some great aero guys - the rear wing, front wing, old nose, bargboard/tub connection, floor strakes, etc, etc, are all being copied up and down the grid - and yet the guys that came up with it all can't get the benefit because of what eventually boils down to a packaging issue #-o
As I don't see any exact copy of anything on the grid, I would say, they just take the things, bring them to perfection and include them into their package. Good aero guys can do that. But I don't know what this tells us about the McLaren guys ;)

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
So essentially too many shortcomings baked into the chassis that it's better to just start over?
Saishū kōnā

Jackles-UK

Zak Brown has said that the base car has not responded well to upgrades and they haven’t made the steps their software suggested they should be making. I get the impression that this is yet another McLaren that was developed too peaky where it was fast in one particular sweet spot but rubbish everywhere else; the likes of Haas, Renault and Force India focused on making solid, drivable baselines and then going from there which would have been a much better option (and where I hope they go next year).

the EDGE

Jackles-UK wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 16:56
Zak Brown has said that the base car has not responded well to upgrades and they haven’t made the steps their software suggested they should be making. I get the impression that this is yet another McLaren that was developed too peaky where it was fast in one particular sweet spot but rubbish everywhere else; the likes of Haas, Renault and Force India focused on making solid, drivable baselines and then going from there which would have been a much better option (and where I hope they go next year).
When they introduced the new nose concept the driver feedback was that the car was faster but didn’t handle as well, for me that backs up your statement

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
Are you saying they've been struggling only because of the packaging?

M840TR

f1rules

this week ferrari and merc both adopting mclaren style rw endplate details, and fi the front bargeboard chassis attachment that also Haas adopted,
i so tired of this crap chassis, and the idiots that designed it, on top misleading Zak, who based on their ridicules incompetent input made a horific strategic decision that has set mclaren back years and years and years.

PhillipM wrote:
Last edited by f1rules on 14 Sep 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

UlleGulle

Jackles-UK wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 16:56
I get the impression that this is yet another McLaren that was developed too peaky where it was fast in one particular sweet spot but rubbish everywhere else
I think this thesis explains the gap in performance between Alonso and Vandoorne. Alonso is the most experienced driver on the grid and have spent a large portion of his career in not so well functioning cars. This enables him to push the car harder without leaving the performance envelope of the MCL33, something Vandoorne is not able to do.

f1rules

Just_a_fan

I don't understand why they have the blunt plank at the front of the floor. Look at the top three and this area has a large radius that acts as a nice front end to the floor - they have some VGs too to help generate downforce in this area. The McLaren has a plank sticking out with a bullnose front edge. Not "nice and inviting" for the air flow. Looks like they're trying to stop air getting under the car, rather than encouraging flow.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:09
I don't understand why they have the blunt plank at the front of the floor. Look at the top three and this area has a large radius that acts as a nice front end to the floor - they have some VGs too to help generate downforce in this area. The McLaren has a plank sticking out with a bullnose front edge. Not "nice and inviting" for the air flow. Looks like they're trying to stop air getting under the car, rather than encouraging flow.

https://i.imgur.com/06TN0VN.jpg

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/F ... 188071.jpg
Because they banked on that plate behind the chicken wing to direct enough air under the floor that they didn't factor this area in their design, they were probably more focused in getting the power unit to fit in the car. They can't really change it this year without a big redesign of the tub so on to the next one.

The middle of the car is an inefficient mess and they know it, but they can't do much, next year they'll make the necessary modifications to the tub so the area can be a lot more modular and upgradable.

Bonus question what do box kites have to do with the side pods?
Saishū kōnā

f1rules

so it seems under some circumstances the car is not to bad... where is the flaw buried, you guys think?
i have to say, the pace was surprisingly good