2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

Phil wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 18:33
WaikeCU wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 14:52
Kimi is such a brilliant, funny character. I'm really glad that we still see him in F1 next season, but disappointed that he's been let go by Ferrari.
He is. Here's another gold one from the press conference:

Q: (on the move to Sauber) ...and you're still passionate about racing, the fire is still....

Kimi: No, I'm not actually. You know, ... just for head games for you guys, I happen to sign and gonna spend two years there and not be happy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm at an AWS conference and was browsing the forums and that post just made me LOL in the middle of a presentation. Kimi is on fire! Go Kimi! 🔥

aral

Oh dear! Once again this thread has reverted into a fanboy dispute ! "my driver is better than your driver.....no, mine is better than yours" etc. There is no need for all this fanboy talk. I would remind you guys, one again, this thread is about the Singapore GP. Not the Bahrain GP, not the 2013 season. Off topic posts will be removed .

PlatinumZealot

The reprofiled turn 16 - 17 complex gives a straighter shot going out on the main straight so i am expecting DRS to be more effective.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

Whats the reason for the changes at T16 & 17 ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

wesley123

If I saw the image right it is because the seawall has been moved further back
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Sierra117

All right boys, time to rip LeClerc 😈😈
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

iotar__

Sierra117 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:01
All right boys, time to rip LeClerc 😈😈
- He's making his case for 2nd Ferrari seat even stronger =P~
- Can't be pressure, no such word in drivers program self fulfilling prophecies universe.
- Small crash in P1 - not important. Last 5 - ... races - the opposite.

godlameroso

The Mercs will qualify behind the Bulls which will split the Ferraris. Vettel will take pole by .2 over Verstappen.
Saishū kōnā

Sierra117

Merc haven't even run the HS yet. Let's see how they do on that.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Phil

I'd also mention that the best times Mercedes did was relatively early in the session. There's a lot of track evolution going on on this track... (and Mercedes did a 1:40.126 last year, assuming everyone is faster than this year, they really haven't shown much so far in terms of real 1-lap pace).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

f1316

Merc were on a completely different program.

We’ve also seen this before - including last year - with RB good in FP1/2 but unable to match the other two in quali.

In short, nothing reliable on which to base predictions yet.

Sierra117

Toto wasn't mincing his words at all when speaking about the young drivers situation.

“Esteban will probably be one of them but we will look after him. He’s on of the future stars, I’m 100 per cent sure of that.

“In July he had two offers on the table with contracts and it was just a matter of choosing which one was the right one.

“He ended up not having any anymore because people simply don’t have the balls to stick to what they say.

“It’s no problem. We have to sort it out with Esteban. He’s a strong guy. He has been through different moments in his career and we’ll fix this one as well.”

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... en-Renault

Sounds like shots fired in the direction of FI? I haven't paid much attention during the week so I feel like I might be missing something but yeah this seems to be the case.

I quite like the idea of having 3 cars per team. It'll be like DTM or something like that. But I would prefer multiple teams though.

Also, I was wondering why they don't do 2 races for some of the locations? Many countries have a few tracks so it would be nice to visit them as well. Staying in one place for two weeks will also make double headers (or in the case of this year, triple headers) easier to deal with logistically, no?
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Phil

Sierra117 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 13:52
I quite like the idea of having 3 cars per team. It'll be like DTM or something like that. But I would prefer multiple teams though.
It's an utter absurd idea, that's what it is. First of all, it's logistically not feasible for the smaller teams. So we're down to the argument that only the teams with capacity would do it. So lets assume, best case, that's Mercedes, Ferrari and RedBull. So now we have the top 3 teams occupying the best 9 slots, leaving position 10 for the rest to fight over. Even so, if you assume that we could have points for the top 12 cars, it doesn't change the fact that this pushes down the rest further down the grid.

Awesome way to kill the sport. It will give more power to the big teams too. If a small one goes bust, no problem, just add another car by the big teams at the front. Fast forward 5 years and we might only have 4 teams filling up the grid. You can then wave good bye to diversity. Better yet, why doesn't Mercedes go make its own F1 and call it MercedesF1. They can fill an entire grid and run their own "spec championship". :roll:

Ocon's situation is a pity, but that's just the way it is. Mercedes (and the other top teams) are paying the price because they already have their best seats occupied. There's an F2 championship every year, it just isn't possible to accommodate every new young F2 winner. Sometimes, it isn't even possible to retain talented ones. Feel sorry for Ocon? Well, I feel sorry for Buemi, Vergne and others who got cut because RedBull was sitting by its strong philosophy of either making a big impact or get replaced by the next younger generation.

If Mercedes felt that strongly about Ocon, they should rethink Bottas (or Hamilton) in their Mercedes seats. Or perhaps all the big teams should worry more about fairer distribution of price money to not have the midfield teams having to rely on pay-drivers and sponsors as much as they do. If they didn't - perhaps Stroll wouldn't be driving in the first place as there'd be no (survival) need for his fathers money in the first place. If the sport wasn't controlled by the big teams, perhaps the midfield seats would be more attractive places to race to begin with.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

djos

Well said Phil, they should give Bottas back to Williams and put Ocon in the second Merc seat!
"In downforce we trust"

Sierra117

Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 14:07
Sierra117 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 13:52
It's an utter absurd idea, that's what it is. First of all, it's logistically not feasible for the smaller teams. So we're down to the argument that only the teams with capacity would do it. So lets assume, best case, that's Mercedes, Ferrari and RedBull. So now we have the top 3 teams occupying the best 9 slots, leaving position 10 for the rest to fight over. Even so, if you assume that we could have points for the top 12 cars, it doesn't change the fact that this pushes down the rest further down the grid.

Awesome way to kill the sport. It will give more power to the big teams too. If a small one goes bust, no problem, just add another car by the big teams at the front. Fast forward 5 years and we might only have 4 teams filling up the grid. You can then wave good bye to diversity. Better yet, why doesn't Mercedes go make its own F1 and call it MercedesF1. They can fill an entire grid and run their own "spec championship". :roll:

Ocon's situation is a pity, but that's just the way it is. Mercedes (and the other top teams) are paying the price because they already have their best seats occupied. There's an F2 championship every year, it just isn't possible to accommodate every new young F2 winner. Sometimes, it isn't even possible to retain talented ones. Feel sorry for Ocon? Well, I feel sorry for Buemi, Vergne and others who got cut because RedBull was sitting by its strong philosophy of either making a big impact or get replaced by the next younger generation.

If Mercedes felt that strongly about Ocon, they should rethink Bottas (or Hamilton) in their Mercedes seats. Or perhaps all the big teams should worry more about fairer distribution of price money to not have the midfield teams having to rely on pay-drivers and sponsors as much as they do. If they didn't - perhaps Stroll wouldn't be driving in the first place as there'd be no (survival) need for his fathers money in the first place. If the sport wasn't controlled by the big teams, perhaps the midfield seats would be more attractive places to race to begin with.
Easy man, I just said I like the idea, but I would prefer multiple teams. It's the same way I would like a Veyron but it's just a thought indulgence. I know practically speaking what is or isn't a good idea (generally speaking).

The sport is already controlled by the big teams. Ferrari still gets prize money for being just Ferrari. Merc and RB still have crazy amounts of influence, etc etc.

But like I said, I prefer more teams as that is the better option and makes it way more interesting. Certainly gives more opportunities to the drivers that can't find a seat.

Perhaps F1 needs a "term" like the presidency - 3-4 season max per driver? If every year you have an F2 champ, you need something to move drivers in F1 so others get a chance. Or better yet, how about a minimum number of races a junior must drive? Say, 2-3?
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir