[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

CAEdevice wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:23
We are converging on the same efficiency with completely different layouts.
That is the conclusion I am coming to as an interested bystander; the aerodynamic performance is mainly determined by the level of refinement, and less about the overall concept... (unless the concept is really bad!)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 15:03
CAEdevice wrote:
That is the conclusion I am coming to as an interested bystander; the aerodynamic performance is mainly determined by the level of refinement, and less about the overall concept... (unless the concept is really bad!)
I agree.

Update: at the moment my car is a bit less efficient than during race 01. It depends on some wrong development directions. I can't go back to the LeMans car because the rear wing was not fully legal, and now I am using a different rear wing concept. Maybe this time JJR will be in advantage.

machin

You can't just put the new wing on the old car?

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 20:24
You can't just put the new wing on the old car?
I tried... it is influenced by the new exhausts and engine cover... it works even worse!

I am talking about 0.1 difference in efficiency... not very much, but this time it could be important.

variante

JJR wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:46
CAEdevice wrote:
JJR wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:13
Le Mans with some refinements with about 40% more downforce. 2nd layout will be used only probably at Pikes Peak.

40% ??? Impressive!
Yes this is interesting that my car is completly different and at the end result is nearly the same. I now got MantiumFlow from Andre so I hope that positive numbers will be comfirmed.
Keep us updated! It would be interesting to know how different softwares compare (with fairly similar settings, I guess)!

etsmc

well, the car has just been submitted. made some slight improvements but think the balance will be off slightly but no time to fix.

Team_Bart

Press presentation Team Bart One - ButterFly
Host: “Ladies and gentleman, welcome at f1technical.net on this very special day, where we will present the first challenger of the Team Bart stable, the Team Bart One – ButterFly! Within a few minutes we will reveal the car, but first ladies and gentleman give me a big applause to our Team Principal Bart!”

Team Principal Bart: “Hello everybody, first let me thank you all for being here today and celebrate the launch of our very first challenger! I had the privilege to see the car already and I can promise you, you did not come for noting, what a machine did our technical guys build! For the whole team, the last weeks were very intense. Three months ago we were thinking about joining, but we had to start with no experience or infrastructure. Within two months we created this team and machine from scratch and I would like to thank all the team members for their big effort, commitment and creativity they show. I think we have a very promising team for the coming years. Also I would like to thank our committed partners. In particular our main sponsors, MantiumFlow and CAE device who helped us a lot with their experiences. I know you’re all like to see the car now, but we’ll build up the tension a bit more. Ladies and gentleman, here you have the technical genius behind this car, our Technical Director Bart!”

Technical Director Bart: “Hi folks, how nice to see so many people in the audience today! They ask me to tell something about the technical aspects of the car. I love to tell about this car and can do so for hours, but they also ask me to keep it short. I’ll try to do so. Let me start with some very exiting specs of this car: it is powered by a three litre internal combustion engine, which produces 540 brake horse power at an astonishing 12000 rotations per minute. You all have to hear it next Sunday in Sepang, the sound is incredible! Next to this there is an innovative electric engine, powered by recovered energy from braking which can produce an additional 144 horses. All this will be transmitted to the 365 mm wide 18 inch wheels by a 8 speed, seamless shifting gearbox. All those beautiful mechanics are covered by an extraordinary aerodynamic body with a lift to drag ratio of …”

Team Principal Bart: “Please do not tell all the details, there are some competitors in the audience as well Bart.”

Technical director Bart: “I’m sorry folks, I think you all have to wait a few days for those numbers. Anyway, where was I? The car is will be three meter long and has a track-with of a bit more than one and a halve meter. Together with the double wishbone push-rod suspension in the front and rear this will result a very stable car, with a good drivability. But for that let me give the floor to our driver Bart!”

Driver Bart: “Thanks Bart! Hello everyone. First I’ll thank Team principle Bart to trust me defending the toxic green colours of the Team Bart car. In Le Mans I was already very exited to have this opportunity, but unfortunately, the gap to the competitors was quite large. Anyway we had some very nice top speed and I already felt there was a lot of potential in this car. I already had some testing laps in this new car and change is enormous! I would like to thank
Technical Director Bart for this incredible improvement. It is a superb performance, which I’ve never experienced before by any other team in by career. What a downforce while still we had a nice top speed! I can’t wait to start with the free practise in Sepang!”

Host: “Thank you Bart, Bart and Bart for this nice introduction! I think now it is time to reveal the car. Can you all three grab one end of the cloth? I’ll take this side. Ladies and gentle man are you ready to see the Team Bart One – ButterFly? Three, two, one….!”

machin

Interesting... another with the front radiator layout... 👍

CAEdevice

Well done, mental CFD says cl/cd around 5.5

Team_Bart

CAEdevice wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:20
Well done, mental CFD says cl/cd around 5.5
Thanks, unfortunately it's not that good yet, especially because there are still some ballance issues. I think I have to redesign the front wing for next race to fix this. I already tried a lot but unfortunately I didn't found something that is working in the way I expected it. Anyway I learned a lot from those failog concepts :D

LVDH

Cool presentation, I hope some other teams get inspired. The best thing is the learning you get from the failed concepts in this competitive situation. I hope you move up the ranks throughout the season.

machin

Everyone got their cars entered for Sepang scrutineering?

CAEdevice

Hi, I submitted the car on friday, but I am not optimistic for this race.

I was wondering if it would be possibile to manage rake in a different way. Instead of choosing an angle (btw: wich are exactly the rotation point coordinates?) would it be possibile to indicate a vertical transaltion (+/-10mm) for each axle?

(Alternatively: rotation point coordinates + angle)

Ft5fTL

Just submitted the car. Got some good gains on the diffuser with some changes on the geometry. Sadly i couldnt work on lowering the drag due to some health issues. Cl/Cd should be around 4.5-4.6.

Here is a pic from 3d Builder:

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

BlakjeKaas

I might as well start posting in this thread.
machin wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 11:10
Everyone got their cars entered for Sepang scrutineering?
Not yet, I've been busy last couple of weeks trying to get sidepods to work on my car, but I can't seem to make them work. I finally found a way to at least get sufficient cooling for this week (it was often varying between 0.5-1 m^3/s), but it does mean that the car I'm racing this week isn't tested as well as I'd liked, since, for me, it's quite a new concept.

For example, some of the simulations with this setup show that the current engine intake is either sucking in enough air, but some simulations indicate that air is forced outwards, and I have not solved that problem yet :| .
Looking at the current time, I'm probably better off altering my engine intake and just hope for the best regarding performance losses. However, the car should be a LOT better than the one I used last race, which also suffered from cooling issues that were only solved last minute (one of the final versions only got to 2/9th of the required cooling). This resulted in a different concept being used altogether.
If my last simulation will show that air is being pulled out of the engine, I'm pretty much forced to use my 2-day extension on this months entry, but let's see what happens first.

I'm also unsure whether the unclosed solid problems are resolved, it's unclear to me what happened to result in this happening, but altogether I'm very happy with the improvements that were made over the last weeks.
MVRC: Tulip Racing