2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 09:13
wunderkind wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 18:41
diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.
If Liberty really did ask RBR to take Alonso (kind of contrary to Alonso's claims), then it's purely because Liberty wants a three-way championship battle to spice up the show in 2019.

McLaren should have bought Force India while it was available and then paint the FI's papaya orange and they would have instantly dragged themselves up the ladder. Just kidding.
In my opinion Mclaren absolutely should have had a go at buying Force India and swapping the PU contract if there was any chance. Then raid the best of FI technical staff for Mclaren and then run the remainder of that team as a B Team.
No chance of that happening, even Mercedes didn't consider buying FI, with the potential of getting 2 seats for their drivers. Mclaren is not even at the financial level of the top 3, where will the money to purchase come from?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 10:19
adrianjordan wrote:
wunderkind wrote:

If Liberty really did ask RBR to take Alonso (kind of contrary to Alonso's claims), then it's purely because Liberty wants a three-way championship battle to spice up the show in 2019.

McLaren should have bought Force India while it was available and then paint the FI's papaya orange and they would have instantly dragged themselves up the ladder. Just kidding.
In my opinion Mclaren absolutely should have had a go at buying Force India and swapping the PU contract if there was any chance. Then raid the best of FI technical staff for Mclaren and then run the remainder of that team as a B Team.
No chance of that happening, even Mercedes didn't consider buying FI, with the potential of getting 2 seats for their drivers. Mclaren is not even at the financial level of the top 3, where will the money to purchase come from?
Well, not sure about no chance but obviously the funding would have had to come from somewhere. Could have been a merger. Maybe Stroll might still be interested in a deal where he got a chunk of McLaren in exchange for Force McLaren. :)

taperoo2k

adrianjordan wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.

It's more than likely Mercedes have a clause in it's PU supply contracts that negates any contract swapping between teams. McLaren are quite rightly concentrating on trying to fix the problems they have, which will hopefully lead to a half decent car in the early 2020's. Buying FI would have distracted them from that rebuilding process. Besides if McLaren decide they need somebody asap the teams shareholders would likely open the cheque book if the team convinces them it's a sound move.

McLaren are in a post Ron Dennis era, shedding his single minded management style is likely part of why McLaren have fallen so far from the front. So buy FI ? Silly idea and one I doubt McLaren's powers that be would have even considered.

Big Tea

taperoo2k wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 00:14
adrianjordan wrote:
wunderkind wrote:

It's more than likely Mercedes have a clause in it's PU supply contracts that negates any contract swapping between teams. McLaren are quite rightly concentrating on trying to fix the problems they have, which will hopefully lead to a half decent car in the early 2020's. Buying FI would have distracted them from that rebuilding process. Besides if McLaren decide they need somebody asap the teams shareholders would likely open the cheque book if the team convinces them it's a sound move.

McLaren are in a post Ron Dennis era, shedding his single minded management style is likely part of why McLaren have fallen so far from the front. So buy FI ? Silly idea and one I doubt McLaren's powers that be would have even considered.
The only 'up side' I see to this is that Mclaren would then (presumably) have call on the staff.
However, as I have said I do not think Mclarens problem was with the staff they could use, but with Management, which hopefully they now have in hand.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

trinidefender

taperoo2k wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
wunderkind wrote:

He was the one that introduced the matrix style management structure. The only reason that it worked was because he was at the top and could make decisions. When he left, the responsibility was never on one person therefore there was little pressure on individual managers to take risks hurting overall design.

diffuser

It is Huge to be able to watch drivers in a less pressured environment in F1 and learn exactly what you have before bringing them over. It is also true for people like Technical directors. You always have a backup plan.

A plan like this would happen above Zak, it would not be any distraction.

Fede90

Just for remember, I don't know if someone has spoken about this day but 11 years ago, there was the judgment of McLaren casue Spy Story impeachment.

I hope this won't happen again against no one team in F1.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 12:14
taperoo2k wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

The only 'up side' I see to this is that Mclaren would then (presumably) have call on the staff.
However, as I have said I do not think Mclarens problem was with the staff they could use, but with Management, which hopefully they now have in hand.
There was a kind of admission from Zak Brown a few days ago on a Dutch website https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... luut-niet/ where he basically told that McLaren have been a mess management wise the past years and that it wasn't just Honda.

McLaren these days are, in my view, still in survival mode, trying to figure out how the team works instead of competing. When Mercedes bought Brawn they had a multi year plan, when RedBull took over Toro Rosso is was part of a much bigger plan then just having a few extra seats. I hope Zak gets his team in order so they can plan and develop a vision, something McLaren is lacking now. At least there isn't that Dennisesque shouting anymore that they are going to win the next race....

They need partners. A good technical (PU) partner is the hardest part, as they build sports cars themselves they could try lure a company into F1 that doesn't build something fast for the road. Someone odd like Kia?
A comercial partner would be less difficult because of Brown's history. The orange livery is cool, but doesn't make any money and the brand McLaren could use extra marketing value to be associated with a good brand.

Still lots of things to happen in my view, hopefully somewhere 2020/2021 a McLaren on the podium again.

BrunoH

Mclaren needs to understand that its not the name and the comany that make Mclaren good, its its Staff that make Mclaren..
they need to spend money in key staff, with good record and pay the premium for that ( not only at top level, but on mid level etc )
they do need a works engine to win.
its a shame about Honda,
maybe they can bring a big name like to the table, however the risk is going for some more years again of pain, but if they pay well like Honda did.. then just suck it up because as a partner engine, thats what you get.. the engine that does less in the dyno goes to them for sure! plus they cant have a difference maker in the car!

RonDennis

Vandoorne about having the same materials as Alonso. He's pretty salty. :lol:

"I might turn in my McLaren and get something better."

cyclon

Norris sooner than expected !!!
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

RonDennis

cyclon wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 11:49
I guess they even gave him worse parts.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:07
cyclon wrote:

https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/9/ ... c5_800.jpg
Sky said he's doing developmental stuff, maybe with an eye on the race after Singapore?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:36
RonDennis wrote:
cyclon wrote:

Sky said he's doing developmental stuff, maybe with an eye on the race after Singapore?
He's probably doing work for Norris. Vandoorne is the new test driver for McLaren.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 19:11
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:36
RonDennis wrote:

He's probably doing work for Norris. Vandoorne is the new test driver for McLaren.
I just read an article with quotes from Verstappen, saying Stoffel never had a chance against Fernando. He talked about Fernando getting newer parts and expressing surprise that a big team like Mclaren couldn't provide for both drivers. What I'm not clear about is the frequency of these alleged newer parts. How often, in 2018 were the cars not similar with Fernando getting the newer bits. From my understanding, there hasn't been much of in terms of upgrades after Barcelona, as has been reported, or have Mclaren been regularly bringing new bits this year?