2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
atanatizante

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

After FP1 Toto said on Sky that they were focused on race pace and Ferrari running solely on HS towards qualy pace ...
But in FP2 after that time Lewis did in his qualy run either Ferrari were running more fuel/lower PU mode or they suddenly found that pole could be feasible tomorrow and should alter slightly their setup towards qualy bearing in mind here position is king ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

atanatizante wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:16
After FP1 Toto said on Sky that they were focused on race pace and Ferrari running solely on HS towards qualy pace ...
But in FP2 after that time Lewis did in his qualy run either Ferrari were running more fuel/lower PU mode or they suddenly found that pole could be feasible tomorrow and should alter slightly their setup towards qualy bearing in mind here position is king ...
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13870 ... didnt-work
In the morning [FP1], there was some phases that were really good, in the evening we tried something, maybe it didn't work, I think we'll probably go back but that's normal.
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

dans79 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:21
atanatizante wrote:
In the morning [FP1], there was some phases that were really good, in the evening we tried something, maybe it didn't work, I think we'll probably go back but that's normal.
what i saw was they were extremely faster in fp2, but Lewis kept locking up...maybe that is what they were not happy
and also they were faster than Kimi in long runs on hypersofts

dans79

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:35
dans79 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:21
atanatizante wrote:
what i saw was they were extremely faster in fp2, but Lewis kept locking up...maybe that is what they were not happy
Jesus man, actually read the link! That comment was from Vettel!
197 104 103 7

Mansell89

Race pace very close but Ferrari will be on pole.

Red Bull very strong on soft tyre- strategy and safety car to decide the weekend IMHO

djones

Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:59
I am not concerned about Vettel making a mistake. What caught me was how he brushed the wall and immediately darted into the pits. I guess i would have expected him to carry on, perhaps another lap, to assess how the car felt and if there was damage. But he did not, he got into the pits and was on the radio.

Of course, in hindsight, there was damage, so it was a good call.

The only thing i am questioning, is by his quick reaction, if that gearbox is perhaps crucial - more crucial than just one that is used for FP practices. Maybe we are all reading too much into it, but given how strong Ferrari and Vettel have been on this track, i would say that carrying any sort of penalty into the race would be a huge blow.
I'm sure there was a fluid leak. This probably showed almost instantly as a pressure warning on the wheel.

siskue2005

dans79 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:39
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 18:35
Jesus man, actually read the link! That comment was from Vettel!
hahha....posting them together got me confused :lol:

MtthsMlw

djones wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 19:14
Phil wrote:
I am not concerned about Vettel making a mistake. What caught me was how he brushed the wall and immediately darted into the pits. I guess i would have expected him to carry on, perhaps another lap, to assess how the car felt and if there was damage. But he did not, he got into the pits and was on the radio.

Of course, in hindsight, there was damage, so it was a good call.

The only thing i am questioning, is by his quick reaction, if that gearbox is perhaps crucial - more crucial than just one that is used for FP practices. Maybe we are all reading too much into it, but given how strong Ferrari and Vettel have been on this track, i would say that carrying any sort of penalty into the race would be a huge blow.
I'm sure there was a fluid leak. This probably showed almost instantly as a pressure warning on the wheel.
Brake fluid according to AMuS.

siskue2005

According to Bottas (from Thursday), Merc is trying a completely different setup philosophy this year in Singapore. That's very interesting, since if last year's problems were due to a bad setup, then the comparisons with last year are no longer relevant!

Track temperatures were relatively low, so no problems with the rear tyres at least with those temperatures. Wolff thinks it's close between Merc and Ferrari in terms of race pace.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... un-zeiten/

atanatizante

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 19:59
According to Bottas (from Thursday), Merc is trying a completely different setup philosophy this year in Singapore. That's very interesting, since if last year's problems were due to a bad setup, then the comparisons with last year are no longer relevant!

Track temperatures were relatively low, so no problems with the rear tyres at least with those temperatures. Wolff thinks it's close between Merc and Ferrari in terms of race pace.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... un-zeiten/
On F1.com he also said that : ":“The car has been improved massively in the high-downforce trim. It is much quicker, even compared to the beginning of the season,”
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

alexx_88

Phil wrote:
I wouldn't go as far. He was on a flying lap, probably underfueled so another lap wouldn't have made any difference.

NathanOlder

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:51
Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:57
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:40
yes, i also remember something like that....was it monza were he crashed in fp2?
Regarding Vettels gearbox and wall-touching. There was something a bit strange about how quickly he aborted that lap right after the wall. Either he notice very fast that he damaged something or he is nursing that gearbox knowing it's important for the race too?

If it was an old gearbox, I don't know... I just guess he would not have reacted that quick and darted into the pits like immediately? Just speculation on my part though...
The gearbox is a practice one. Not alluding to you, but Lewis made about 3 errors in the two sessions and Seb brushed a wall. All 4 were tiny errors. Don't get the drama about Seb. It seems that the media is absolutely desperate.
As a lot of people have said, pushing hard on corners with run offs is much less risk than pushing hard on corners with no run off and a wall. Vettels error is definitely bigger than Hamiltons errors.

On skysports I think it was Anthony Davidson who said on Vettels lap that he's running a lot closer to the wall than the Mercedes and RedBull drivers and then less than 1 minute later he tagged the wall.

Why risk so much so early ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 21:06
Schuttelberg wrote:
Phil wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:57

Regarding Vettels gearbox and wall-touching. There was something a bit strange about how quickly he aborted that lap right after the wall. Either he notice very fast that he damaged something or he is nursing that gearbox knowing it's important for the race too?

If it was an old gearbox, I don't know... I just guess he would not have reacted that quick and darted into the pits like immediately? Just speculation on my part though...
The gearbox is a practice one. Not alluding to you, but Lewis made about 3 errors in the two sessions and Seb brushed a wall. All 4 were tiny errors. Don't get the drama about Seb. It seems that the media is absolutely desperate.
As a lot of people have said, pushing hard on corners with run offs is much less risk than pushing hard on corners with no run off and a wall. Vettels error is definitely bigger than Hamiltons errors.

On skysports I think it was Anthony Davidson who said on Vettels lap that he's running a lot closer to the wall than the Mercedes and RedBull drivers and then less than 1 minute later he tagged the wall.

Ferrari 2019 drivers in the wall today :o
Because practice is where you test out the limits and step by step go there, also increasing confidence this way.

Last year he also kissed the walls in his Q3 run and at the end there was no one even close to his time.

Juzh

gasly, ocon, ricciardo, perez, vandoorne FP2 laps

hq: https://streamable.com/mfyu1

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 21:21
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 21:06
Schuttelberg wrote:

Ferrari 2019 drivers in the wall today :o
Because practice is where you test out the limits and step by step go there, also increasing confidence this way.

Last year he also kissed the walls in his Q3 run and at the end there was no one even close to his time.
Definitely in Q3 you almost want to be rubbing the wall, but Practice2 ??

High risk no gain. Lewis and Kimi know they clocked a 1.37.7 flat with room left for a bit more.

Seb was almost as quick as those 2 but broke his car and left next to nothing on the table.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC