2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2018 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 14-16 September

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 14:56
I wonder if Perez is being a bit overly harshly criticised for the incident with Ocon. Ocon put himself in a potentially dangerous position. Perez was already on the "outside" relative to the Haas (I think Romain) and in that left hander, Perezs eyes and focus was always going to be to the left because that is where the track was headed. Already being on the outside to the Haas (albeit ahead), I am sure he must have been rather conscious about what was happening there. Ocon, who was behind, saw a gap and went for it, but at the same time put himself in a potentially dangerous and vulnerable position. To some extent, yes, he did get sufficiently alongside to be noticed, but I still think Perez was genuinely not looking there.

Even so, the touch and contact was minimal. It was also the rear tires that hit, so there is a possibility that there was minor traction loss (oversteering on Perez's car) that then caused the hit that sent Ocon into the wall. Unfortunate, but I would blame Ocon for it. Fairplay for him for trying it and 9 times out of 10, it would have turned out to be a brilliant move, but the point remains, as an overtaker, it was an IMO opportunistic move, a gamble that sadly didn't work out by the smallest of margins. He put his car there. On lap 1, when there is chaos happening all around you.

These moves are always at a certain risk.
I agree, that probably why the sterwards didn’t intervene as well. Full load of fuel, cars everywhere trying to go two wide trough corners on a street circuit. Same goes for Ocon by the way, there was a gap and it would be a missed chance not to take it. But like Hamilton/Vettel in Monza.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 15:18
Phil wrote:
I wonder if Perez is being a bit overly harshly criticised for the incident with Ocon. Ocon put himself in a potentially dangerous position. Perez was already on the "outside" relative to the Haas (I think Romain) and in that left hander, Perezs eyes and focus was always going to be to the left because that is where the track was headed. Already being on the outside to the Haas (albeit ahead), I am sure he must have been rather conscious about what was happening there. Ocon, who was behind, saw a gap and went for it, but at the same time put himself in a potentially dangerous and vulnerable position. To some extent, yes, he did get sufficiently alongside to be noticed, but I still think Perez was genuinely not looking there.

Even so, the touch and contact was minimal. It was also the rear tires that hit, so there is a possibility that there was minor traction loss (oversteering on Perez's car) that then caused the hit that sent Ocon into the wall. Unfortunate, but I would blame Ocon for it. Fairplay for him for trying it and 9 times out of 10, it would have turned out to be a brilliant move, but the point remains, as an overtaker, it was an IMO opportunistic move, a gamble that sadly didn't work out by the smallest of margins. He put his car there. On lap 1, when there is chaos happening all around you.

I agree, that probably why the sterwards didn’t intervene as well. Full load of fuel, cars everywhere trying to go two wide trough corners on a street circuit. Same goes for Ocon by the way, there was a gap and it would be a missed chance not to take it. But like Hamilton/Vettel in Monza.
That is not how it happened though. *after* realizing he was being overtaken by Ocon, he opened the steering wheel. Otherwise he was very much in control. Actually he was trying to cover the inside, that is why ocon had the opening :) He was going to be overtaken either by Haas or Ocon. He covered both, congrads!! :P Perez had a literal melt down.

siskue2005

Jolle wrote:
Phil wrote:

new evidences has surfaced
looks like perez indeed i was trying to box ocon
https://www.facebook.com/skysportsf1/vi ... 574550582/
video here

Phil

foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:40
That is not how it happened though. *after* realizing he was being overtaken by Ocon, he opened the steering wheel.
That 'opening steering wheel' mustn't have to be because of Ocon though, but because he was battling his car and traction. When you have oversteer, you don't keep on turning in. You counter it.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle

siskue2005 wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:41
Jolle wrote:
Phil wrote:

video here
that cheeky checo!

I saw him opening up the steering during the incident but thought it was because of the touch. They didn't touch rear wheels moments before he opened up the steering?

siskue2005

here is the video, judge for urself

siskue2005

Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:45
siskue2005 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

video here
that cheeky checo!

I saw him opening up the steering during the incident but thought it was because of the touch. They didn't touch rear wheels moments before he opened up the steering?
they touched after he opened the steering wheel

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:42
foxmulder_ms wrote:
That is not how it happened though. *after* realizing he was being overtaken by Ocon, he opened the steering wheel.
That 'opening steering wheel' mustn't have to be because of Ocon though, but because he was battling his car and traction. When you have oversteer, you don't keep on turning in. You counter it.

Watch again. He just changes direction he is not trying to correct an oversteer or anything. The onboards show it clearly. There was malicious intent.

By the way, FI is just protecting and siding with Perez by punishing both drivers. Last year it was the same thing. Ocon has nothing to blame but he has been punished together with Perez. It is unfair. I am glad Ocon is out from FI. I hope he drives for Williams. Although two races ago him being chickened out to pass the leaders rally dampened my excitement about him. I dont see the spark in him for a champion.

By the way, I am really annoyed by FIA delaying safety car intentionally *TWICE* for Seb to complete passes. He deserved to be in front in both cases but not following the simple rules by Charlie bugs me.

Jolle
Jolle

siskue2005 wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:47
Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:45
siskue2005 wrote:

video here
that cheeky checo!

they touched after he opened the steering wheel
on the vid from the rear it looks like they touched rear wheels a second before they tangled up their fronts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_XNPr8lexE

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:42
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Looked too slow and calculating for it to be a quick correction of snap oversteer.

Just my opinion though, truth is only Perez knows.

Jolle
Jolle

for me it's both possible. One way to look at it
- rear slides a bit, they touch rear wheels and in that moment he opens the steering to counter that. because of their wheels touching, he rotates the car too much and has oversteer and they bump front wheels
- he tried to scare Ocon in a place where its not really possible and could lead to a double dnf.

garygph
garygph

I would like to know the throttle trace as he opened the steering. Because instinctively you open the steering when accelerating to counter the inevitable rear slip angle changing. If someone is on your outside and looking like they might edge ahead as a racing driver you are going to accelerate ASAP. So among all the analyses is there one with the throttle trace at the same time?

dans79

Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 17:02
- he tried to scare Ocon in a place where its not really possible and could lead to a double dnf.
Yea just like he tried to do to Sirotkin! Imo, The only reason he is still in F1 is because of how much money he is bringing to the table. I also bet he could be out of job next year, if Ocon beat him this season!
197 104 103 7

iotar__

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 17:21
Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 17:02
Yea just like he tried to do to Sirotkin! Imo, The only reason he is still in F1 is because of how much money he is bringing to the table. I also bet he could be out of job next year, if Ocon beat him this season!
Your IMO about Perez's place in F1 does not include reality of Q and race pace in Singapore, brilliant Baku podium ahead of Ferrari, other podiums and overall results against Hulkenberg and many other things placed in objective world. The usual here :D.

Two incidents were different and lumping them together makes no sense. First one shows that Ocon learned nothing about F1 racing except for shouting foul when he messes up. Speaking of the second one https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13878 ... deliberate "Whiting doubts Perez move was delibrate"

I know for a fact Charlie is a dishonest person. 100 examples of penalties and other statements about racing to prove it. For example his interest in yellow flags ruining pole attempt lasted 5s British press spotlight after Monaco/Hamilton/Rosberg incident and disappeared when it happened in the opposite direction in Austria :roll: .

Does he pretend that moves like that are accidental and drivers' hands twich and they swerve cars in random directions? Of course it was, who cares, he got a penalty, move on. No - Whiting needs attention. Ugh.

falonso81

Phil wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:27
Zynerji wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:02
Assuming Ocon is actually better than Bottas, why in gods name would they do that? Hamilton is performing at the best of his career (it seems), they're leading both championships with an arguably inferior car (just about), why would they need a better driver in seat number 2?
Seems to me the media has done its job and everyone believes the Merc is an inferior car...
:-k :-k :-k