2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

He was also catching back up to the RB/Ferrari/Merc train, albeit slowly.

RonDennis
RonDennis

You sometimes wonder how much effect all these updates really have? It seems that not much is changed since the start of the year.

M840TR
M840TR

RonDennis wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 21:41
You sometimes wonder how much effect all these updates really have? It seems that not much is changed since the start of the year.
Overshadowed by others making much bigger steps and fundamental flaws.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

RonDennis wrote:
You have to wonder if the updates are part of a programme to try and figure out what went wrong with the design and not to improve performance as It, looks like McLaren have given up on 2018's car and might be using it as a glorified test mule.

RonDennis
RonDennis

taperoo2k wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 22:17
RonDennis wrote:
You have to wonder if the updates are part of a programme to try and figure out what went wrong with the design and not to improve performance as It, looks like McLaren have given up on 2018's car and might be using it as a glorified test mule.
I wasn't specifically talking about the McLaren updates, but updates in general. Brown today said that they now know what went wrong, so let's hope 2019 will be a lot better.

Macklaren
Macklaren

RonDennis wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 23:51
taperoo2k wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 22:17
RonDennis wrote:
I wasn't specifically talking about the McLaren updates, but updates in general. Brown today said that they now know what went wrong, so let's hope 2019 will be a lot better.
I hope that in fixing the problems next year the car doesn't give up its kindness on tires.i reckon half the points the team has this season is down to tire management vs rivals. Which is also credit to ALO of course...

cyclon

Sorry to say, but not expect great things in 19 perhaps some more stability in terms of keeping up with midfield.
20 may show some glances but 21 is the target year.

Food for thought : Should/Would the team stay with current PU?

P.S. Fernando is not goodbye, is farewell !!!
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

charliesmithhd

cyclon wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 15:56
Sorry to say, but not expect great things in 19 perhaps some more stability in terms of keeping up with midfield.

Do you mean spec b/c or stick with renault?

cyclon

Perhaps new PU manufacturer in 21....
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

RonDennis
RonDennis

cyclon wrote:

Well being in Q3 regularly should be the target. Nobody expects miracles to happen, but this chassis is simply terrible. It's there second year with Renault, they have been working on the 2019 chassis the longest, they claim to know what went wrong and they can fix their gear ratio's. So there should be some potential to unlock.

Jolle
Jolle

Looking at the drivers choice for 2019 and 2020, Sainz and Norris, to me it looks like they are planning to float somewhere on place 4 or 5 and have their options open for 2021.

GoranF1
GoranF1

There is no doubt Mclaren has the best chasiss...😀
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1
GoranF1

cyclon wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:12
Perhaps new PU manufacturer in 21....
BMW or Cosworth....some say
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Big Tea

Mclaren need a couple of stable seasons now. Same engine, no 'way out there' design, just good midfield running to establish a base.
They can kick on from there. Much of their problems over the last few year have stemmed from not knowing what was improving and what was just changing.
Unless there is a real miracle, they are not going to get into the top 3 next year, so why try? Go for forth best car and leave room for improvement, when they know what needs improving.

Consolidate, accumulate, retaliate. One year each.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

cyclon wrote:

They need a solid foundation to work from, it will help if they produce a decent car that can do battle in the midfield and possibly come out on top. I think it's foolish at this stage to expect McLaren to be right up at the front in 2019.

As for the PU ? They are stuck with Renault for the time being, bridges are burned with Mercedes and Honda at this point (or so it seems) and I doubt Ferrari would supply McLaren with PU's unless forced to by the FIA. McLaren just have to hope Renault gets on top of it's PU issues and claws it's way to the performance levels of Mercedes and Ferrari, and then produce a better car than the works Renault team. We'll see if Ron Dennis is correct that you can't win in F1's current regulations as a customer team.

----

As for updates in general ? Given the front wings are changing in 2019 along with a few other bits, I expect there's not much point in bringing new updates unless it gives a big performance boost thus a bigger points haul. Minds will be concentrated on 2019 for most of the teams save perhaps Mercedes and Ferrari.