2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
roon

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

M840TR wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 00:25
roon wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 22:58
Godius wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 18:07
Verstappen said that there was no point in doing that because there is not much of a gain according to the RBR factory and the internal lay-out and the chassis would need to have a major redesign. Not worth it.
If that's true, they've moved it to an unorthodox location. Which begs the question of why.
I think in the v8 era they had the Kers motor in the bell housing. Could be possible they've done it with this year's car. Either that or it's just that the mgu-k has radically different cooling requirements compared to the old one.
That could be, although the bellhousing would be tight with the turbine and downpipe. Unless it were made hollow and installed over the engine output shaft. Coaxially afore the crankshaft may also be an option. All seems unlikely though. Hard to beat spur gears while utilizing the space beneath the headers, to the side of the ICE.

Juzh

apexcontrol wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 19:27
Ofcourse bad car with loads of wing
Everyone's probably the max wing they possibly can

zac510

But Max said the chassis would need to be redesigned to accommodate the new KERS. That means it must still be placed at the front of the engine, nestled into the monocoque.
If it were in the bellhousing then the chassis/monocoque would not need to change.

Of course it'd be cool if they were doing something interesting with it :)

NL_Fer

Anyone has an idea, how irratic shift behaviour can be be caused by the PU software?

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 20:19
Anyone has an idea, how irratic shift behaviour can be be caused by the PU software?
DC said it was due to the dual clutch mechanism. I assume neither being in the correct place and balking eachother.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 22:13
NL_Fer wrote:
DC said it was due to the dual clutch mechanism. I assume neither being in the correct place and balking eachother.
As far as I know a double clutch system is not allowed in F1, there is a rule there must be only one gear engaged at a time. They work with a different system. They have notches that pick up the next gear at the moment you disengage the past one. Renault said RedBull didn't cool the PU enough in FP runs. Could be some cooked electronics?

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 23:19
Big Tea wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
As far as I know a double clutch system is not allowed in F1, there is a rule there must be only one gear engaged at a time. They work with a different system. They have notches that pick up the next gear at the moment you disengage the past one. Renault said RedBull didn't cool the PU enough in FP runs. Could be some cooked electronics?
Just repeating what DC said. The rest was pure guess (best I keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt Eh? :D )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Edax

Jolle wrote:
16 Sep 2018, 23:19
Big Tea wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
As I understand the system is seamless so the clutch remains engaged while the gears are changed.

Ves has been complaining a lot about gear sync and rev matching all year. I can imagine if the gearbox can’t find sync it will either not shift or go to neutral. Not sure who supplies the software though or whether it is part of gearbox or engine architecture.

bill shoe

djos wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 23:03
Personally I think Gasly will wipe the floor with Max points wise, just like Dan did for the last few years.

He might not have the outright pace of Max, but I don't see him making petulant mistakes.
I wish you were right, but you're not. Max will easily score more points than Gasly next season. His car-control talent is big enough that it will continue to accommodate his alternate-reality bubble ("It was Bottas' fault that I pushed him off the road at Monza"). He will continue to be the fastest driver that gives fans no reason to like him. He's not even bad in a Dale Earnhardt "Intimidator" kind of way, he's just spoiled in a Verruca Salt kind of way.

Take solace in Max's weak engines, both current and future. I think he had to sign where he is, weak engines and all, because Merc and Ferrari would not protect his alternate-reality bubble. He decided the bubble was more important than a pile of championships.

loekf2

bill shoe wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 14:48
djos wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 23:03
Personally I think Gasly will wipe the floor with Max points wise, just like Dan did for the last few years.

He might not have the outright pace of Max, but I don't see him making petulant mistakes.
I wish you were right, but you're not. Max will easily score more points than Gasly next season. His car-control talent is big enough that it will continue to accommodate his alternate-reality bubble ("It was Bottas' fault that I pushed him off the road at Monza"). He will continue to be the fastest driver that gives fans no reason to like him. He's not even bad in a Dale Earnhardt "Intimidator" kind of way, he's just spoiled in a Verruca Salt kind of way.

Take solace in Max's weak engines, both current and future. I think he had to sign where he is, weak engines and all, because Merc and Ferrari would not protect his alternate-reality bubble. He decided the bubble was more important than a pile of championships.
“Alternate reality bubble”. What a nonsense. Max came from the Redbull development program, so was a logical move to sign for STR or RBR. F1 is killing racing btw, not the Perez style racing.

Sieper

He actually showed some loyalty, which I am happy about (and i think signing also was the right choice). I actually think RBR has a good chance of being up there again next year, not directly at the top but very close. Second halve 2016 close.

Max is not spoilt. He is actually much more modest then he can indeed sometimes come over. Look up his reaction to the dutch ziggo tv congratulating him on qualyfying P2 If you will. He can be very clumsy with words and you have to read his every response coming from a rock solid self believe, that combined with his dutch ways can come over in a wrong way, I do understand why you feel this way about him but If you see him in his own language and not in the after race heat I hope you can see that he also has a very modest side. But then again, his self confidence is very undutch. We cut that down If we see it “you think you better then us, off with his head” but in a very negatieve, jealous way. I don’t like that about our own specific version of the western culture.

adrianjordan

Sieper wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 13:33
doji desu wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:08
Redbull sells both teams to Honda for 2021?

Why would Honda not want to be a Works team themselves (like Mercedes wanted after having joined forces with McLaren for some years, and Like Renault wanted (after having purchased Lotus) and working with most noticeably RBR for some years.

Why would Honda like to only remain engine supplier, why would they take the "ford cosworth" role of old days. Honda is a works team in other sports they built engines for. OK, they built street supersport motorcycles so there it matches more, but Honda Is (as a car manufacturer) just (about) as sportive as Renault or Mercedes.
Maybe they are still smarting after the failure of 2006-2008 and then seeing Brawn GP win with a Merc PU in 2009 with the car they designed and developed but didn't race...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 20:10
Sieper wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 13:33
doji desu wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:08
Redbull sells both teams to Honda for 2021?

Why would Honda not want to be a Works team themselves (like Mercedes wanted after having joined forces with McLaren for some years, and Like Renault wanted (after having purchased Lotus) and working with most noticeably RBR for some years.

Why would Honda like to only remain engine supplier, why would they take the "ford cosworth" role of old days. Honda is a works team in other sports they built engines for. OK, they built street supersport motorcycles so there it matches more, but Honda Is (as a car manufacturer) just (about) as sportive as Renault or Mercedes.
Maybe they are still smarting after the failure of 2006-2008 and then seeing Brawn GP win with a Merc PU in 2009 with the car they designed and developed but didn't race...
It all depends if RedBull Honda will become successful. Having a marketing partner like RedBull is very valuable. They can be on every can, on every poster of VER, etc etc.

Morteza

:D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare