2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

ispano6 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 05:49
Which races exactly? I thought Gasly had some pretty decent starts. Bahrain and Monza were pretty good, Hungary was pretty decent as well, so was Monaco.

There have been a few times where Gasly held up a faster Hartley at the starts too. Goes to show the best starts are usually by those with the most experience.

It is also possible Honda has the most underdeveloped launch mode or there is a reliability threshold that prevents faster getaways. Or maybe it's just more drag.
This doesn't look so good
https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/1037031336190648322

ispano6

etusch wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 20:56
ispano6 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 05:49
Which races exactly? I thought Gasly had some pretty decent starts. Bahrain and Monza were pretty good, Hungary was pretty decent as well, so was Monaco.

There have been a few times where Gasly held up a faster Hartley at the starts too. Goes to show the best starts are usually by those with the most experience.

It is also possible Honda has the most underdeveloped launch mode or there is a reliability threshold that prevents faster getaways. Or maybe it's just more drag.
This doesn't look so good
https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/1037031336190648322
Which part?

ispano6

STR Honda pace isn't looking too good with the rookies. Makes you wonder if perhaps Honda should have brought Spec 3 just to fit it and eat the penalty in the event of a poor qualifying. Then at least Japan and the rest of the races can be penalty free.

godlameroso

It's practice, the race pace wasn't too bad, let's see what they turn up with tomorrow, I agree with you though, it's not looking good so far.
Saishū kōnā

restless
restless

Gasly said that the car was not stable, altho they use the package from Monaco and Hungary
Maybe the "green" track is bad for the chassis?
If there is no rain today they could look better

McMika98
McMika98

They have setup for low deg and cannot even get optimum temp on hypersoft for one lap. Should be able to dial it up in Q3. Renault pace over one lap looks tremendous but after few laps the pace drop off is precipitous. TR exactly the opposite. They need to screw the deg and push for Quali position.

bigblue

Thought this was interesting.
However, Red Bull is losing a key man in the form of James Key, a highly respected technical director at the junior team Toro Rosso.

But Newey said: "We are very careful and respectful of the rules regarding common parts. As far as it is permitted it makes sense, but Key was sometimes a bit negative. I don't want to say more."
More at http://grandprix.com/news/newey-says-fu ... on-f1.html

Singabule
Singabule

bigblue wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 13:18
However, Red Bull is losing a key man in the form of James Key, a highly respected technical director at the junior team Toro Rosso.

But Newey said: "We are very careful and respectful of the rules regarding common parts. As far as it is permitted it makes sense, but Key was sometimes a bit negative. I don't want to say more."
He want independent team or lead RB, but seeing Newey back resulting in Mclaren move.

ispano6

If reports are true and Honda brings Spec 3 to Sochi, it will be quite a day of announcements. Daniil Kvyat seems to have already signed so we might see him looking upbeat.
On the other hand Hartley seems despondent with the comments he made about how STR "talked up" the Singapore race. He's also acknowledged that the car updates didn't deliver as expected so there does seem to be a bit of stagnation at STR possibly caused by Key's departure to McLaren. Hopefully STR's next update will maximize Honda's engine upgrades.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Singabule wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 13:40
bigblue wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 13:18

He want independent team or lead RB, but seeing Newey back resulting in Mclaren move.
Exactly. James Key is too good to be just the guy who integrates Red Bull listed parts into a chassis Haas style.

Big Tea

ispano6 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 04:07
If reports are true and Honda brings Spec 3 to Sochi, it will be quite a day of announcements. Daniil Kvyat seems to have already signed so we might see him looking upbeat.
On the other hand Hartley seems despondent with the comments he made about how STR "talked up" the Singapore race. He's also acknowledged that the car updates didn't deliver as expected so there does seem to be a bit of stagnation at STR possibly caused by Key's departure to McLaren. Hopefully STR's next update will maximize Honda's engine upgrades.
Worth remembering though what is the job of STR. Better to try suspect upgrades on the training team than the boss team. I doubt we will see a huge amount from STR now, they would probably prefer a nice landmark so they can get a better idea of what changes to the power unit really mean.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BrunoH
BrunoH

new engine upgrade Spec3 for russian GP ? 35hp more? 965hp compared to Renault 950 Spec C ?

Mclaren must feel like it make all the wrong moves again..

Bill
Bill

Renault started the season with 950 , the upgrade that Honda brought to Canada matched Renault or slightly exceeded them .Renault also bought an upgrade in Canada. Numbers that gets thrown around are pure rubbish

Thunder18
Thunder18

Bill wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 17:24
Renault started the season with 950 , the upgrade that Honda brought to Canada matched Renault or slightly exceeded them .Renault also bought an upgrade in Canada. Numbers that gets thrown around are pure rubbish
So is Renaults 950 that you say also rubbish??

Bill
Bill

No that 950 come Remi their engine technically director not journalist