2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2018 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 31 Aug - 2 Sep

Wow. Good work. The honda MGUK sound is so prominent. It is first time discerning the MGUK for me! Granted i did stream to my stereo to listen... But yeah.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henry

yelistener wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 10:24
Did a little video about the ERS and Overtake button at work, from Monza onboard.

Gasly pressed the overtake button for a better corner exit acceleration. But it can only work for a few seconds, so after that it was back to auto ERS deployment based on the setting. It's also very clear to see the battery bar went down on straights and went back up after braking through corners, which is how MGU-K works.

I enhanced the audio a tiny bit so it's a little easier to hear the sound of the electric boost. The few seconds where Gasly pressed the overtake button is obviously the sound of the maximum ERS boost, but the electric boost was working on all straights during that lap, just not in that extremely-consuming overtaking mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEZGKfo50o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEZGKfo50o
Excellent. Thanks. It’s a pity the display is on the steering wheel, the major changes in ES state are easy to see but I couldn’t see if there were any increases under drive.

The periods of eboost in auto mode are very short, difficult to note without your enhanced audio, and with my rubbish ears.

Any idea what the white leds, next to the gearchange indicators, signify? I’ve watched a few times and can’t discern what the pattern might be.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

F1NAC

DRS indicator (question about white LEDs that are actually green

henry

F1NAC wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:38
Thanks. Supplementary, what does it mean when they switch to 4 illuminated briefly?

If they are green I need to add failing eyes to failing ears.

Edit: rewatched and can see a feint green tinge.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Juzh

henry wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:46
F1NAC wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:38
Thanks. Supplementary, what does it mean when they switch to 4 illuminated briefly?

If they are green I need to add failing eyes to failing ears.

Edit: rewatched and can see a feint green tinge.
4 Illuminated lights mean he can activate his drs (after he crossed the drs line). When he activates it, those 2 extra lights turn off. They briefly turn on again at the end of straight when he manually closes drs a second before the actual drs zone is over.

Juzh

yelistener wrote:
I enhanced the audio a tiny bit so it's a little easier to hear the sound of the electric boost. The few seconds where Gasly pressed the overtake button is obviously the sound of the maximum ERS boost, but the electric boost was working on all straights during that lap, just not in that extremely-consuming overtaking mode.
That's simply not true and not possible in race conditions. When he presses the overtake button wastegates open and the turbo is driven with mgu-h. What you are hearing for the rest of the lap is just regular mgu-k noise.

Same thing happening here on the renault: https://youtu.be/AphQZy1LMos?t=18s

yelistener

Juzh wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 15:12
yelistener wrote:
That's simply not true and not possible in race conditions. When he presses the overtake button wastegates open and the turbo is driven with mgu-h. What you are hearing for the rest of the lap is just regular mgu-k noise.

Same thing happening here on the renault: https://youtu.be/AphQZy1LMos?t=18s
Yes I was talking about the regular mgu-k noise, which was working whenever the car was accelerating. I thought that few seconds extra sound was from mgu-k motor maxing out, but you're right, it was the sound of wastegate releasing back-pressure.

Also good to have the sound from a different engine. I tried to find if there were clips with that extra sound of Ferrari or Mercedes using the overtake button, but couldn't find any.

JonoNic

So they are thinking of taking out the chicane before the Lesmos to make Monza faster... this is good news right?
Always find the gap then use it.

timbo

JonoNic wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 06:08
So they are thinking of taking out the chicane before the Lesmos to make Monza faster... this is good news right?
I'm on the fence regarding this. The first chicane is awkwardly clumsy and yes, I'd like to see Monza even faster. In fact, the configuration without the chicane is used to test LMP prototypes simulating LeMans.
But taking it out will remove one of the main (if not THE main) overtaking spots of the circuit. Not only that but the first chicane often sets up an overtaking move going into the second.

siskue2005

timbo wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 12:40
JonoNic wrote:
I'm on the fence regarding this. The first chicane is awkwardly clumsy and yes, I'd like to see Monza even faster. In fact, the configuration without the chicane is used to test LMP prototypes simulating LeMans.
But taking it out will remove one of the main (if not THE main) overtaking spots of the circuit. Not only that but the first chicane often sets up an overtaking move going into the second.
they talking about the removal of second chicane not the first.... but i do agree that those two are the most common overtaking spots.

But there is no clear source for this move, all i saw was an article by somebody on a whatsapp f1 group, nothing more

Big Tea

siskue2005 wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 20:16
timbo wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 12:40
JonoNic wrote:
they talking about the removal of second chicane not the first.... but i do agree that those two are the most common overtaking spots.

But there is no clear source for this move, all i saw was an article by somebody on a whatsapp f1 group, nothing more
It is on Planet F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.