Notifications indicator not working

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
djos

Notifications indicator not working

Hi admins, I just got a new iPhone X and for some strange reason the Notifications indicator is not working on it in safari. Oddly it still works fine in safari on my iPad Air 2.

The notifications are still there if I tap on the bell icon, there's just no red indicator.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Re: Notifications indicator not working

Am I really the only iPhone X owner on the forum who uses the native Web UI? :wtf:

This issue still isnt fixed. :(
"In downforce we trust"

Phil

I have it too on the iphone7. I don't think its unique to the iphoneX, just mobile versions of the website. You could probably replicate it on a desktop if you made the window of the browser smaller so that it's roughly the same size of a mobile device...

(Can't test it myself, because I have no new notification waiting. I'll have to wait until someone gives me an upvote or something. :oops: :P )
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

djos

Phil wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 12:02
I have it too on the iphone7. I don't think its unique to the iphoneX, just mobile versions of the website. You could probably replicate it on a desktop if you made the window of the browser smaller so that it's roughly the same size of a mobile device...

(Can't test it myself, because I have no new notification waiting. I'll have to wait until someone gives me an upvote or something. :oops: :P )
Oh good, I thought I was going mad as I reported this back in December. Previously I had an iPhone 6s Plus and it worked fine.
"In downforce we trust"

Phil

Thanks for quoting me, that did the trick too. The "problem" is that the red-notification is an arrow (a separate icon) that is placed next to the notification one.

This site has has a responsive design, meaning that as you increase or decrease the size of the window/viewport, it automatically adapts the design.

You may notice this on your desktop: By decreasing the width of the window, the logo changes to a smaller one and the other elements disappear in favor of a menu-icon.

The same applies to the "new notification"-icon. On a mobile screen, the window is so narrow that there is no room for that separate icon to be displayed, so it's simply discarded. If you change the screen into horizontal/landscape view, you probably get the icon.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

(how in earth did we miss this)

I will ask around to get someone to try to replicate the issue so we can see what we can do.

Trying to get to the bottom of this, I have to ask a few relevant questions:
-Do you have notifications turned on in your user profile? I assume you do given you receive them on your ipad, just need confirmation.
-Are you logged in when the notifications don't pop up? Safari on iphones has the nasty habit of logging out constantly.

What Phil says, is interesting. Could you try to request the desktop site in ios Safari and see what that does?
#AeroFrodo

djos

Phil wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:12
Thanks for quoting me, that did the trick too. The "problem" is that the red-notification is an arrow (a separate icon) that is placed next to the notification one.

This site has has a responsive design, meaning that as you increase or decrease the size of the window/viewport, it automatically adapts the design.

You may notice this on your desktop: By decreasing the width of the window, the logo changes to a smaller one and the other elements disappear in favor of a menu-icon.

The same applies to the "new notification"-icon. On a mobile screen, the window is so narrow that there is no room for that separate icon to be displayed, so it's simply discarded. If you change the screen into horizontal/landscape view, you probably get the icon.
Oh good spot, if I rotate my iPhone it does indeed show up Next to the bell icon.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

turbof1 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:22

I will ask around to get someone to try to replicate the issue so we can see what we can do.

-Do you have notifications turned on in your user profile? I assume you do given you receive them on your ipad, just need confirmation.
-Are you logged in when the notifications don't pop up? Safari on iphones has the nasty habit of logging out constantly.

What Phil says, is interesting. Could you try to request the desktop site in ios Safari and see what that does?
The notification icon shows up in landscape mode and the behaviour is the same across multiple browsers. It's never been an issue on my iPad, but interestingly now the red number of notifications shows up below the bell icon instead off alongside it.

Ps I'm always logged in. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

djos wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:37
turbof1 wrote:

The notification icon shows up in landscape mode and the behaviour is the same across multiple browsers. It's never been an issue on my iPad, but interestingly now the red number of notifications shows up below the bell icon instead off alongside it.

I will notify Steven about this. Seems like a bug. Thanks for letting us know... ehmm, a year ago :oops: .
#AeroFrodo

djos

turbof1 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:39
djos wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:37
turbof1 wrote:

I will notify Steven about this. Seems like a bug. Thanks for letting us know... ehmm, a year ago :oops: .
Thanks good sir, it's one of those things that I just got used to working around, I'd just tap the bell icon to see if I had any more threads to view. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

turbof1

So I did some tests on my own on an android phone. Seems the avatar picture crowds out the notifications. Steven will have to take a look at this definitely.
#AeroFrodo

djos

turbof1 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:53
So I did some tests on my own on an android phone. Seems the avatar picture crowds out the notifications. Steven will have to take a look at this definitely.
Thanks mate, much appreciated. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

hollus

djos’ problem replicates nicely in my iphone 7 running Safari. As does the landscape trick.
So at least we can troubleshoot.
Rivals, not enemies.

djos

hollus wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 01:57
djos’ problem replicates nicely in my iphone 7 running Safari. As does the landscape trick.
So at least we can troubleshoot.
Cool, that's great news, I thought I was alone with some weird edge case for a while there. :D
"In downforce we trust"

Steven
Owner

So the issue here is that the notification indicator does not show up?

So you just see the logo, hamburger icon, bell, and avatar?
This is as intended, because there is not enough space in that situation to also fit the notification indicator in the title bar.

I'll try to come up with something better. Suggestions welcome ;)