2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Roxi wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 23:04
If you mind me asking, how come this track has more 'tow' forsay, than other tracks? Or do other tracks have it, just not as much as Sochi. What makes it different? I haven't heard this term used before, so I am just asking. I didn't know.
Every single track can have a tow effect. The faster the cars are going, and the closer you are to the car in front the greater the effect.

Why its not as prevalent as it once was, is because with the current aero rules its hard to get close enough to the car in front to really benefit from it. However at the start the cars are close together so it's easy to get a tow.

That's why Vettel, Hamilton, and both force India's where 4 wide at the end of the Kemmel Strait,.

Russia is one of the tracks where you will get a good tow at the start, as is Mexico.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

It is also more pronounced as they arrive with cold bakes while still having more then one car on their mind.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Roxi

dans79 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 23:59
Roxi wrote:
If you mind me asking, how come this track has more 'tow' forsay, than other tracks? Or do other tracks have it, just not as much as Sochi. What makes it different? I haven't heard this term used before, so I am just asking. I didn't know.
Every single track can have a tow effect. The faster the cars are going, and the closer you are to the car in front the greater the effect.

Why its not as prevalent as it once was, is because with the current aero rules its hard to get close enough to the car in front to really benefit from it. However at the start the cars are close together so it's easy to get a tow.

That's why Vettel, Hamilton, and both force India's where 4 wide at the end of the Kemmel Strait,.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXg1sGWpLlQ

Russia is one of the tracks where you will get a good tow at the start, as is Mexico.
Thank you for the insight, very interesting!

simieski

Roxi wrote:
Turn 1 is a non event so no need to lift, line doesn’t really matter, it effectively makes it a long straight all the way up to turn 2. So compared to most other tracks this one has a much longer drag race before the first proper corner which allows for the possibility of slip streaming the pole sitter.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 19:39
siskue2005 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 17:34
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
I beg to differ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDH4rBksMyQ
I guess this time can be different because Ferrari is faster on the straights than in 2017 but they need to have a good start. A front row for both Ferrari is possible though I think Hamilton will be stronger than in 2017.

Bill_Kar

I think after Austria's update, Mercedes is on par with Ferrari at these circuits. Although, Russia has more straights than Singapore or Hungary so Ferrari should snatch pole and maybe front row lockout. But race will be a different story, as I think that PU advantage is diminished during raceday (maybe because of fuel consumption problems that Ferrari still face?). Still though, Vettel needs the win so I think Hamilton will be OK with 2nd to Vettel.

Q: Vettel
Hamilton
Raikkonen
Bottas

R: No changes.

dfegan358

Vettel needs a win obviously but what would also be a great help is of Räikkönen can make it a 1-2 and take some points of Hamilton.

Think the relative pace this weekend will be interesting. As we have seen many times this year, you can’t just go on previous years trends.

djones

If Ferrari could not win at Monza and frankly got their pants pulled down at Singapore, I suspect any hope of Ferrari being fastest here is unrealistic to expect.

I think the only chance of a win for them is not starting on pole and taking the lead from the start.

The vast majority of issues Mercedes has had this season were due to tyre temps. This is now resolved to the point where when not pushing the tyres actually get too cold :shock:

foxmulder_ms

I don't know how Ferrari is doing it but they have extreme starts. Both in Spa and Singapore Vettel's 1st lap attack right after the start was not defendable by either Hamilton or Vestappen. However, this is a one time thing because for the rest of the race he cannot repeat it. I think it is more than the simple tow. Ferrari has a super duper electric mode at the starts. So if Vettel is at the front after the 1st lab he may win. I say "may" because even though he jumped Ves in Singapore he didn't have the pace to prevent being passed by him after the pits so it is not 100%.

Sieper

Well, to be honoust, I did think he had the pace but Ferrari pulled him in very early (in order to try and attack Lewis) but he got stuck behind Perez (Merc powered so willing to defend) and as at that time everybody had pace to spare both Hamilton and Verstappen sped up (which Vettel being stuck behind Perez couldn't do) and when Max exited the pits just on the verge of being able to keep Vettel behind the race was done fro Vettel (especially having to nurse his purples home or lose even more spots). On pure pace (and on yellows instead of purples) Vetttel likely had more. They gambled with the strategy.

Wynters

Given the difficulties those who qualify 7th to 10th have in fending off those who can start on any tyre, do you want to qualify 7th or 11th here?

NAPI10

Wynters wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 17:03
Given the difficulties those who qualify 7th to 10th have in fending off those who can start on any tyre, do you want to qualify 7th or 11th here?
If both Redbulls gets engine penalty ; it will be question of starting 5th or 11th :) :)

TAG

Bottas has always been strong in Sochi. If he's going to win a race for Mercedes this year, it's here.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 19:11
Hamilton now has one DNF and two 2nd places in his pocket with just 6 races to go.
Vettel just HAS to win this.
I initially thought you were checking the odds of a Vettel DNF there. Seems you werent. But if we do look at it, Hamilton already took his DNF but Vettel's own is way overdue.

There is a 16% chance he will. Very few drivers do a full season without one!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 03:05
Restomaniac wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 19:11
Hamilton now has one DNF and two 2nd places in his pocket with just 6 races to go.
Vettel just HAS to win this.
I initially thought you were checking the odds of a Vettel DNF there. Seems you werent. But if we do look at it, Hamilton already took his DNF but Vettel's own is way overdue.

There is a 16% chance he will. Very few drivers do a full season without one!
Every race the stats start anew, so Vettel and Hamilton both have the same chance. Will Mercedes focus early in the season knowing that longevity of the PU would be key pay dividends now is the question.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत