Mick Schumacher recent miracle to form... / ilegal car?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zac510

Re: Mick Schumacher recent miracle to form... / ilegal car?

strad wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 19:24
zac510 wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 04:40
I feel sorry for the kid now - a couple of wins, still not even close to F1 and this is the vitriol that he's subjected to already. He'll have to have skin like an armadillo to make it to F1, mentally.
Ah Come On...It was a joke...Tongue in cheek and all that.
Strad I wasn't replying to your post directly (I didn't quote you)! But I did mean to write to people in this thread and in the wider motorsport world.

If you're writing tongue in cheek, throw a few smileys in there next time ;) ;)

TwanV

marmer wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 21:02
Win streaks are not unheard of but neither is a cheating German ... I would hold off on this idea though it's only f3 he is still young and progressing as a driver perhaps he has found a new level
Forgive me if you're joking, but technically the B194 was all right in 1994. Yes they had found a loophole to enable some sort of TC, but that's part of the game. As for the Benetton team itself (the fuel valve incident for instance), I found Damon Hill's autobiography quite enlightening. When he joined Arrows in 1997 he was shocked with Tom Walkinshaw (not a german), quoted to have said that if you don't cheat in F1, you can't win. Needless to say, Hill left the team as soon as possible, but it shows the character of the 1994 championship winning management team.

MSc in 1997: no comment. :D

As for the younger MSc, I think due to his marketing potential I wouldn't be surprised if he would have a couple of coaches to improve his skills, which can be the reason for his improved speed. That could be interpreted as an unfair advantage, but in the end the guy has to do it on his own, so well done.

ScottB

Isn't it just having a decent budget? Like Stroll made his way through F3 in the best team, with his Dad paying for everything needed, test sessions and the like?

I can't see how, in a spec series, it would possible to cheat, beyond maybe running light or something? Smacks more of Ticktum chucking his toys out the pram, which, given his own history, isn't exactly a shocking surprise that he might not take being beaten particularly well...

Yeah, Schumi Jnr has suddenly stepped it up, compared to where he was, but he isn't the first driver to do so, and there any number of totally legit explanations. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does in F2, assuming he ends up there.

NathanOlder

I think next season in F2 will be wide open, If Albon gets in at Toro Rosso then the 2019 season will be very weak IMO. Norris and Russell will be gone so next years main contenders will consist of Sette Camera, Fuoco and Markelov.

If Mick goes in there, he needs to do well if he's up against a weak field.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

So, there is a young driver with a legendary last name and lots of recourses that does well and a British driver who is under pressure within a brutal junior program. The press is even suggesting that the same German could take his route to F1 within that program.

Cheating in F3 doesn't make much sense if your budget is taken care of. For a young driver like Mick it's a development class. Look at Rosberg in F3, it really wouldn't be a problem to be a good midfielder your first year and win the second. Jumping the line in F3 with an illegal car doesn't make sense, it would bite you twice as hard in F2.

As for Sr in 1994.... Well... Walkingsaw was pretty clear, Senna was very sceptical, the FIA caught them twice, Verstappen Sr has his clear doubts and their teammanager was convicted cheating in another incident. Lets leave it with that :P

ScottB

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 16:23
I think next season in F2 will be wide open, If Albon gets in at Toro Rosso then the 2019 season will be very weak IMO. Norris and Russell will be gone so next years main contenders will consist of Sette Camera, Fuoco and Markelov.

Albon is off to Formula E, Markelov’s being linked with Williams.

I’d imagine Schumi Jnr will move up, RBR tend to shun F2, which is a shame as a rematch with Ticktum would be interesting I’m sure! Though given Dan needs superlicence points, F2 would make more sense over Super Formula...

marmer

ScottB wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 00:11
NathanOlder wrote:

Albon is off to Formula E, Markelov’s being linked with Williams.

I’d imagine Schumi Jnr will move up, RBR tend to shun F2, which is a shame as a rematch with Ticktum would be interesting I’m sure! Though given Dan needs superlicence points, F2 would make more sense over Super Formula...
If markelov goes to Williams we could well have 3 russian drivers on the grid next year. And the first time we have had more than one in a race unless I am forgetting about an overlap

NathanOlder

And all 3 are not good enough! What a joke!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

BrunoH

we will see, i just dont belive in miracles... when i was in karting there was 1 season that we did manage to find a consistent 0.3 sec from setup alone... was good for qualy not so good in the race... we just found due to a windy day ( head wind that using a shorter gear ratio ) we were faster, however in normal races we were cutting the engine the last parts of the big straights so no overtaking was really possible there, but was gaining a lot in the low and mid speed exits... so i always find it odd when a big jump in performance is found....
another example was using in the last race of the season, a bit less oil in the fuel mix hehehe and hoping it wold last till the end hehehehe gave a very small performance gain ( around 0.1 to 0.15 sec advantage )

Sevach

NathanOlder wrote:

Markelov has said next year is F1 or bust, he doesn't another season.

I would add De Vries to your list of favorites, provided he isn't booted by Mclaren/runs out of money and we have to wait for GP3 graduates... but yeah fairly underwhelming.

Big Tea

I fear we will need to get used to this sort of thing, its the 'new' way. The youngsters have a different mind set
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ringleheim

Mandrake wrote:
26 Sep 2018, 16:20
Dan is just doing the Hamilton, accusing the "other" team having a "trick". Nothing illegal of course when challenged to deliver details.

OH and suddenly when being back in front all the talk is gone.

Quite sad actually that outstanding performances today are either cheating or "the car". I would not want to be a top performing race driver nowadays
You are overlooking the fact that Mick Shuchmacher is not a top performing driver. Hence suggestions of cheating or something unusual being afoot.

marvin78

And from what do you get that that is a fact?

munudeges

BrunoH wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 20:40
Dear all, wold like to know what you all think about the ´´miracle form´´ out of nowere of Mick Shcumacher and its recent push to enter into F1....
This miracle form has not come out of nowhere, and these games have always been played. There have been many tests where new drivers have come in and existing drivers within the team have done everything they could to curtail their performance. Behind the scenes things are much nastier and Machiavellian than they appear on the surface. The limiting factor is always the performance of the car.

If it is politically and financially favourable to get Mick Schumacher up the ranks, it will be done. He has never looked terribly fantastic......until now.