2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

sosic2121 wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 19:01
NathanOlder wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 14:31
The Ocon moment was debunked right here

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13662 ... complaints
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/1548 ... in-monaco/
I still believe the AutoSport article, Ocon probably didnt want to piss off his employers anyway.

For arguments sake, lets say Ocon let Hamilton pass because he didnt want to hold up the Mercedes team.
Thats 1 case over the year. I'd like someone to find me some video evidence of a Haas or Sauber genuinely trying to defend against a Ferrari in the last 3 years, if they dont defend, that means they are letting them through. Like what Ocon did that 1 time in Monaco
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 19:41
Lets not kid ourselves, the other teams that use the works engine move out of the way for works drivers as fast as they can, heck, even other marque drivers move out of the way most of the time (even when “fighting” for position).
I just went to the first race I remembered where Hamilton had to come through the field, Silverstone 2018. The onboard shows he had to go round the outside of Stroll at Stowe (not a let by move by a long shot), and was side by side with Sirotkin through village, loop and aintree and had to drop back in behind and then overtook into copse later on, Sirotkin fought HARD.

This all from the slowest team on the grid, shows WIlliams do not help Mercedes on track , they fight Mercedes as hard as they can.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

Come on the only driver that gives Vettel a harder time that he does Hamilton is Alonso. Gotta respect that.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

atanatizante

So nobody knows where could be the following race Merc and Ferrari will use for the last time the 2nd spec. PU ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Bill_Kar

Mercedes (or at least Bottas) seems very nervous during S3.

Bill_Kar

Vettel HS
Hamilton S +0.3s

Impressive.

Vasconia

Bill_Kar wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:14
Vettel HS
Hamilton S +0.3s

Impressive.
Sadly, I expect Mercedes to "resist" Ferrari´s attack with HS and then destroy them with a long stint with the soft compound, as I expect another one stop race.

turbof1

Still very early days. Track is very green and rapidly improving. I think FP2 will give a much more realistic picture.
#AeroFrodo

atanatizante

1.Back to back test of RW at Merc camp in FP1: Bottas tested the new swan neck solution ...
2. According to what Merc tested in FP1 (both in the first phase and at the end with that short race sims) and what Kimi did on that HS tyre at the end of the session it seems that S tyre is the best tyre to race bearing in mind it`s - again - a one-stop race ...
3. Delta time between HS and S tyre in that mini race sim in FP1 between Max and Bottas is almost 1 sec.
4. Merc went setting up the car for the first sector hence for a low drag/top speed setup ... that`s why they were slowest in S3 from the top 3 teams ...
5. Low track temps hiders the true Ferrari pace for not getting enough heat into the tyres ...
Jesus

Juzh

FP1

Bill_Kar

atanatizante wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:43
1.Back to back test of RW at Merc camp in FP1: Bottas tested the new swan neck solution ...
2. According to what Merc tested in FP1 (both in the first phase and at the end with that short race sims) and what Kimi did on that HS tyre at the end of the session it seems that S tyre is the best tyre to race bearing in mind it`s - again - a one-stop race ...
3. Delta time between HS and S tyre in that mini race sim in FP1 between Max and Bottas is almost 1 sec.
4. Merc went setting up the car for the first sector hence for a low drag/top speed setup ... that`s why they were slowest in S3 from the top 3 teams ...
5. Low track temps hiders the true Ferrari pace for not getting enough heat into the tyres ...
Nice feedback.

atanatizante

Merc were running the new rim wheels? Does anybody have a picture?
Jesus

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 11:36
Still very early days. Track is very green and rapidly improving. I think FP2 will give a much more realistic picture.
Indeed but I think it Will be a one stop race and if Mercedes can make those soft tyres work as they usually do... #-o

f1316

Giovanazzi three tenths faster than Leclerc looks strong (didn’t see the session though so not sure if Charles had any issues).

Sieper

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 20:33
Sieper wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 19:41
Lets not kid ourselves, the other teams that use the works engine move out of the way for works drivers as fast as they can, heck, even other marque drivers move out of the way most of the time (even when “fighting” for position).
I just went to the first race I remembered where Hamilton had to come through the field, Silverstone 2018. The onboard shows he had to go round the outside of Stroll at Stowe (not a let by move by a long shot), and was side by side with Sirotkin through village, loop and aintree and had to drop back in behind and then overtook into copse later on, Sirotkin fought HARD.

This all from the slowest team on the grid, shows WIlliams do not help Mercedes on track , they fight Mercedes as hard as they can.
The last few races these moments have been sparse. As long as there still is a fight for position I feel the drivers (of course if it does not hurt their own race too much) should at least put up some kind of resistance. This race my own favourite starts from the back and I hope (fair) fights will be there.