Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

That would be huge, it would essentially half their deficit, if Honda can make a little more headway for next year Red Bull just may have a shot at another championship, they have two very good drivers.
Saishū kōnā

carisi2k

Red Bull should have taken the opportunity to get away from Renault at singapore 2017 when all that crap was happening. Imagine how much more progress Honda would have had with 2 teams and specifically a race winning car as well.

etusch

hasika wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 15:39
http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/inde ... 4201&tt=-1

If the new Honda power unit has more horsepower than Renault?

When asked if the new power unit will pass Renault,tanabe TD said:"We dont know until the cars run on the track,it depends on how much performance on the dyno can transform to the car on the track."
Can we understand this part as "if we can transfer dyno performance to track we will pass Renault"?

Big Tea

I wonder where this extra actually lives. Is it overall plus, or a nice little slice stuck somewhere along the curve where they thought they were lacking. Taken out of context it could mean that at X Rpm the curve is fatter by that amount rather than the highest number at maximum RPM goes up by that amount. Which ever it is will have an effect on the other ofcourse.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

HPD

Thunder18
Thunder18

etusch wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:19
hasika wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 15:39
http://f1sokuho.mopita.com/pc/free/inde ... 4201&tt=-1

If the new Honda power unit has more horsepower than Renault?

When asked if the new power unit will pass Renault,tanabe TD said:"We dont know until the cars run on the track,it depends on how much performance on the dyno can transform to the car on the track."

Can we understand this part as "if we can transfer dyno performance to track we will pass Renault"?
The power unit has to deal with extra forces and resistances when connected and running in the car. Normal road cars have about a 20% iirc, loss in power from the actual engine hp to wheel hp

dfegan358
dfegan358

From a neutral point of view and based on all evidence from this season and the progress being made by Honda. I fully expect them surpass Renault in engine ranks for next season.

Who knows maybe they will have already with this next upgrade. I think it was definitely a good move to get out of Renault partnership.

McMika98
McMika98

Based on the last few races. Honda have outperformed Renault cars on ppwer circuit. On chassis track like Singapore the car package has been poor. So thry might already be ahead and will leap forward.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 01:01
Tommy Cookers wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 11:07
regarding rpm .....
the current engines friction is influenced by the unusually high ('boosted') cylinder pressures on the compression stroke
lower rpm would presumably require even higher 'boost' to give the same power so frictional power may not reduce
Thoughts on friction.
It was suggested before that there may be benefit above 10,500 rpm by using lower ring tension than 'ideal' for power at 10,500 rpm. Helping to maybe have a slightly lower peak power but broader power band with slightly reduced friction.
Not sure of validity of concept as to how much higher the rpm will have to go to create any measurable difference.

In addition higher rpm means each combustion event will be at a lower pressure reducing compression friction on the rings re lower ring tension.

Thoughts?
The top ring in particular...

To reduce the friction at high load the problem lies in the liner and piston ring construction though.

I promised to abondon this thread so i am not sure why i am posting here still.

It has gone into general mguk talk and battery talk. I felt like starting a new honda PU tracking thread.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hino
Hino

Honda "in front of" Renault after upgrade - Tost
“We had it in the car yesterday, but we have to start from the back of the grid and then we decided we go back to spec 2 just to save some mileage and to make some fine-tuning.

“In Suzuka we will have it.”

Honda’s latest upgrade is another significant internal combustion engine upgrade married to minor updates to the other components for optimisation.

Tost said Honda will not keep the same design for next year although he would only confirm “there are changes, but I do not want to go into details – I can only tell you they are really on a good way”.

Snorked
Snorked

Interesting. That Red Bull guy on the Dutch Verstappen forum weeks ago said Honda will have a completely new engine next season and have 70 - 90 bhp more than what they currently have.

Comeback Wazari.

Is this a complete redesign by Asaki?

HPD

This is interesting. Posted by @Hasika
Although the spec3 power unit made great progress in terms of performance,the rpm of the engine during upshift was not smooth.

"We already run it on friday,so its still able to run but cannot run well, considering the race distance,I think we still need to optimise it . We did a lot test on the dyno and then bring the new engine to the track, we expected that there would be some difference between dyno and track conditions, but when we actually ran, the difference was bigger than expectation."

"We will get some help from the team side, engineers from the team side will come to HRD Milton Keynes on Monday.We will do some dyno test with the new spec PU and gearbox,to have a better matching.

McMika98
McMika98

HPD wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 12:31
This is interesting. Posted by @Hasika
"We will get some help from the team side, engineers from the team side will come to HRD Milton Keynes on Monday.We will do some dyno test with the new spec PU and gearbox,to have a better matching.[/b]”
[/quote]

The upshifts was quite harsh so maybe the whole coupling amd mating needs refinement. Remember the resonance issues during the dark ages of McHonda. Not as bad but prolly not good for engine or chassis.

PlatinumZealot

New spec rumoured half a second faster. Tasty stuff.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Eryngii
Eryngii

RA618H?