2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:32
Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:55
Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:51
Anyone commented on the fact that Vettel made another mistake that allowed Hamilton to enter DRS range, resulting in the pass?
Was that before or after he tried to put Hamilton in the wall?
It was on the previous lap. I'm not quite sure what corner, but somewhere in sector 3. He outbraked himself, ran wide on corner exit, and managed to lose DRS range to Bottas and fall into DRS range of Hamilton.
I think he knows it, he just wanted to stress the fact that Vettel was a bit dirty with Hami :mrgreen:

Jolle
Jolle

Bill_Kar wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:34
Fulcrum wrote:
Jolle wrote:

It was on the previous lap. I'm not quite sure what corner, but somewhere in sector 3. He outbraked himself, ran wide on corner exit, and managed to lose DRS range to Bottas and fall into DRS range of Hamilton.
I think he knows it, he just wanted to stress the fact that Vettel was a bit dirty with Hami :mrgreen:
Normally there are 30 pages of forum discussion demanding a ban of VER with an action like this without a wall...

mkay
mkay

zeph wrote:
To me, driver of the day is Bottas. He would have comfortably won this race.
I'm not sure about that. He definitely didn't have enough pace in the first stint, and didn't manage to stay close enough to Lewis to enable a switch in the latter parts of the race.

Lewis was always within 1-1.5s of Bottas throughout the race, whereas Bottas was barely able to stay within 2-2.5s.

Jolle
Jolle

mkay wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:45
zeph wrote:
I'm not sure about that. He definitely didn't have enough pace in the first stint, and didn't manage to stay close enough to Lewis to enable a switch in the latter parts of the race.

Lewis was always within 1-1.5s of Bottas throughout the race, whereas Bottas was barely able to stay within 2-2.5s.
Mercedes wasn't driving on full potential in the race, what was pretty clear when Hamilton had to overtake Vettel. They just needed to stay 2 seconds in front of Vettel.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Driver of the day for me was Leclerc. Finishing on the lead lap in a race without a safety car, and finishing ahead of both Haas and FIndia cars, was an excellent result.

Sieper

Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:50
Driver of the day for me was Leclerc. Finishing on the lead lap in a race without a safety car, and finishing ahead of both Haas and FIndia cars, was an excellent result.
You Forgot the fantastic overtake on Magnussen I think it was. But don’t forget, he has an incredibly strong engine.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Hamilton's pass on Vettel was satisfying.

Merc is a rookie with team orders... why do they make it awkward? Give your order and enjoy. Juts shut up and stop making comments. lol.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:42
Bill_Kar wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:

Normally there are 30 pages of forum discussion demanding a ban of VER with an action like this without a wall...
I can't disagree. Hamilton is incredibly cautious, he's got fantastic spacial awareness, that's why it wasn't a crash there.

Justthatek
Justthatek

Fulcrum wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:51
Anyone commented on the fact that Vettel made another mistake that allowed Hamilton to enter DRS range, resulting in the pass?
Think Vettel said Bottas slowed down to get him in the dirty air which if is true defiantly worked brilliantly by Bottas.

Phil

I’d say driver of the day for me is Hamilton & Bottas and Max.

Hamilton for an amazing overtake on Vettel and pace wise, i think he was the quickest today.

Bottas for a solid getaway off the line and his pole on Saturday. Pace wise very solid, but i think Hamilton was quicker. But that doesnt matter, he was as quick as he needed to be, to win the race, which he should have if not for the team orders.

Max for the amazing first 7 laps.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Gothrek
Gothrek

Fulcrum wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:50
Let's hope he can handle the Ferrari pressure well next year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zeph wrote:
Bottas's problem today was that he was so far back in the points that he had no title hopes. That makes him (and Kimi at Ferrari) the default number 2. That means he's going to get thrown to the dogs to help Hamilton secure the title. That's life in team-based motor racing.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised/shocked/angry about it. It's not like it's race 3, 4 or 5 in the year, afterall. If Bottas was neck and neck on points then he would get to keep the win. He lucked out a bit earlier in the season but he hasn't done enough at other times. Hamilton, like him or hate him, is like Vettel and Alonso. He gets in his groove and just keeps performing. Ask Rosberg how hard that is to compete against.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

Verstappen was nowhere after the pitstop, he looked better on the Softs. I believe Red Bull had that car perfectly set for starting from the back on the soft compound, going long being gentle on the rubber. As soon as they switched, he couldn't get enough temperature into the Ultras and that was that.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

MtthsMlw

TAG wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 19:08
Verstappen was nowhere after the pitstop, he looked better on the Softs. I believe Red Bull had that car perfectly set for starting from the back on the soft compound, going long being gentle on the rubber. As soon as they switched, he couldn't get enough temperature into the Ultras and that was that.
I've read somewhere that they turned down the engine after the pitstop but maybe both plays a role here.

Wynters
Wynters

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:42
Normally Verstappen waits until people are either already committed in the braking zone or are already along side. He drove a great race today though, just a shame Red Bull couldn't make the Ultras work. I'm also surprised Vettel was investigated for a 'double move'. It looked like a move to the inside then back to the racing line (or as close as he could get) but the camera angles weren't great so I may well have missed something.

As much as it sticks in the throat, team orders are part of F1. Always have been, always will be. As a fan I'm interested in the WDC as much as the WCC but the teams aren't and they are the ones who pay the salaries. It always leaves a bad taste in the mouth (regardless of who does it) but...that's F1. Looking back at the WCC winners over the last ten years, every one of them used team orders (maybe not Brawn, tbf, my memory is pretty hazy that far back).

Anyone else slightly cynical about the new Honda engine that was used during Practice? Half a second a lap improvement? Really? I hope it's true as it would be great to see Red Bull in the mix next year but we've heard this sort of thing before.