2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
oT v1
oT v1

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Really hope Bottas gets a couple of wins gifted to him at the end of year (if possible).

Turned out to be quite a good Russian GP compared to previous editions :) Ves helped by his drive on softs, I don’t buy that they turned the engine down, he could have done that at lap 20 when he knew he had 4th secured. Big Merc and Ham fan but I’m kind of sad they had to resort to Ferrari tactics, they did it in Sepang 2013 for a Lewis podium but other than that I’ve enjoyed the Rosberg fights and equality.

Nice to Seb smiling again at the end too. Only problem was having to watch Putin enter the circuit as the race was going on...come on Liberty, there’s no Bernie giving head to dictators now just leave it!
The Power of Dreams

Sieper

TAG wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 19:08
Verstappen was nowhere after the pitstop, he looked better on the Softs. I believe Red Bull had that car perfectly set for starting from the back on the soft compound, going long being gentle on the rubber. As soon as they switched, he couldn't get enough temperature into the Ultras and that was that.
I think they waited and waited (Max even had a small plee to lambiase about keeping out just one more lap) to and hoped for a (V)SC pitstop (so far a VSC was a reality here each year) and when that failed to materialize they called it a day, turned the engine down after the pitstop. Max also said that with the hypers, and even the ultra’s the front left wheel grained after a few laps of pushing. They didn’t even try that during race (I think they found out in FP already, and it was indeed clear to see).

Allthough there might be Some merit to your point as well, I expected a late race charge also but it didn’t come. Max tried it for 2 laps, gained about a second in each lap, and then they called it off, too little to threaten Kimi. They’ll likely need this spec b unit for all remaining races.
Last edited by Sieper on 30 Sep 2018, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

oT v1 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 19:55
Really hope Bottas gets a couple of wins gifted to him at the end of year (if possible).

Turned out to be quite a good Russian GP compared to previous editions :) Ves helped by his drive on softs, I don’t buy that they turned the engine down, he could have done that at lap 20 when he knew he had 4th secured. Big Merc and Ham fan but I’m kind of sad they had to resort to Ferrari tactics, they did it in Sepang 2013 for a Lewis podium but other than that I’ve enjoyed the Rosberg fights and equality.

Nice to Seb smiling again at the end too. Only problem was having to watch Putin enter the circuit as the race was going on...come on Liberty, there’s no Bernie giving head to dictators now just leave it!
Number 77 will only be allowed a win after 44 seals the chamionship.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Wynters wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 19:48
Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:42
Normally there are 30 pages of forum discussion demanding a ban of VER with an action like this without a wall...
Normally Verstappen waits until people are either already committed in the braking zone or are already along side. He drove a great race today though, just a shame Red Bull couldn't make the Ultras work. I'm also surprised Vettel was investigated for a 'double move'. It looked like a move to the inside then back to the racing line (or as close as he could get) but the camera angles weren't great so I may well have missed something.

As much as it sticks in the throat, team orders are part of F1. Always have been, always will be. As a fan I'm interested in the WDC as much as the WCC but the teams aren't and they are the ones who pay the salaries. It always leaves a bad taste in the mouth (regardless of who does it) but...that's F1. Looking back at the WCC winners over the last ten years, every one of them used team orders (maybe not Brawn, tbf, my memory is pretty hazy that far back).

Anyone else slightly cynical about the new Honda engine that was used during Practice? Half a second a lap improvement? Really? I hope it's true as it would be great to see Red Bull in the mix next year but we've heard this sort of thing before.
I was reading someone claiming (not on this forum) that Honda said they ran into the same engine/gearbox mating problems of old with mclaren, the problem is described as “harsh up-shifts”.

MtthsMlw

garyjpaterson

How close was the front wing to Seb's rear tyre! :O Could've been a big accident had Ham not gotten hard on the brakes very early.

https://i.gyazo.com/5ee4c985c1773f241b4 ... 39d0a1.mp4

siskue2005

saviour stivala wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 20:19
oT v1 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 19:55

Number 77 will only be allowed a win after 44 seals the chamionship.
there is a rumour that Lewis might need to change his gearbox or engine etc in the coming races...that is why they were doing a ferrari style swap. So i guess Bottas will win that race

siskue2005

garyjpaterson wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:02
How close was the front wing to Seb's rear tyre! :O Could've been a big accident had Ham not gotten hard on the brakes very early.

it would have ended up like Spain 2016.....even then Lewis would have benefited more that Vettel

Edax
Edax

After the pitstops and after the pass on Vettel, Hamilton lined up his car for an attack on Bottas. He went as far as bringing it within DRS range. That attack would have come. I could imagine that part of Merc’s motivation was to avoid them fighting with Vettel so close behind, and hence they forced the pass.

So I feel that we have been denied a good scrap for the top spot, which sporting wise I don’t like. But I don’t necessarely feel we have seen the wrong guy taking the trophy.

First 10 laps held promise. Ves march through the field was quite entertaining. Looks like he has his own gravity generator in the back, otherwise it is a mystery where he finds the grip to do this. Ricciardo surely was a bit disappointed. First time he drives in front of Verstappen in months and he only manages to keep him back for about 15 meters.

Leclerc also put in an inspired drive, real happy for Sauber, can’t think of a team who deserves this more.

But the race died down a bit too quickly for me.

On the other side of the spectrum I can’t get my head around the Mclaren situation. Alonso 1 lap down, Stoffel 2 laps. How can a team with this kind of heritage and budget get it so wrong? I get the feeling this is a situation where an honest book should be written about, and it should be manditory reading material for everyone with management aspirations.

subcritical71

mmmK.... so now it’s ok to toy with a competitors car!? I guess Ferrari wouldn’t mind if Lewis hopped into the no. 5 and see if he can figure out what all the dry ice is about while it’s in Parc Fermé?

siskue2005

subcritical71 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:45
mmmK.... so now it’s ok to toy with a competitors car!? I guess Ferrari wouldn’t mind if Lewis hopped into the no. 5 and see if he can figure out what all the dry ice is about while it’s in Parc Fermé?
yeah that was un heard of or un seen before, i have seen them having a good look but i have never seen anyone touch a competitor's car..let alone push it and roll it :shock:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:04
garyjpaterson wrote:

it would have ended up like Spain 2016.....even then Lewis would have benefited more that Vettel
Possibly it could have resulted in a puncture for Vettel and front wing damage for Hamilton. That would have been worst for Vettel as he'd have lost much more from driving around slowly to the pits. Hamilton/Rosberg in Spa comes to mind.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 22:09
siskue2005 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:04
garyjpaterson wrote:

Possibly it could have resulted in a puncture for Vettel and front wing damage for Hamilton. That would have been worst for Vettel as he'd have lost much more from driving around slowly to the pits. Hamilton/Rosberg in Spa comes to mind.
Just imagine Hamilton going up Vettels rear wheel and catching the fence at 220 km/h.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 22:18

Just imagine Hamilton going up Vettels rear wheel and catching the fence at 220 km/h.
Oh yes, that was also a risk, albeit smaller in my view.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zeph
zeph

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 18:51
zeph wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 17:34
To me, driver of the day is Bottas. He would have comfortably won this race.
Bottas's problem today was that he was so far back in the points that he had no title hopes. That makes him (and Kimi at Ferrari) the default number 2. That means he's going to get thrown to the dogs to help Hamilton secure the title. That's life in team-based motor racing.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised/shocked/angry about it.
I am neither surprised nor angry. When HAM's radio call about the blistering tires came in and you saw Vettel gaining on him, you knew it was inevitable, and I don't have a problem with it. But Bottas was faster yesterday and had enough pace today to keep Hamilton behind, so for me he is Driver of the Day, and Driver of the Weekend.