Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
G'dayBruce
G'dayBruce

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

McMika98 wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 15:17
HPD wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 12:31
This is interesting. Posted by @Hasika
"We will get some help from the team side, engineers from the team side will come to HRD Milton Keynes on Monday.We will do some dyno test with the new spec PU and gearbox,to have a better matching.[/b]”
The upshifts was quite harsh so maybe the whole coupling amd mating needs refinement. Remember the resonance issues during the dark ages of McHonda. Not as bad but prolly not good for engine or chassis.
[/quote]

I can't help but think the whole oscillation thing is probably something fairly minor that could have been sorted in practice last week, and that it's just been a smoke screen to save the mileage on those new units for the race that matters this weekend...or maybe I've just been smokin something.

Stef
Stef

In yesterday's Paddock Pass, you can clearly hear Hartley saying it was always the plan.

GhostF1
GhostF1

You know what... I think it just might be... a variant of it at least. To me, there are a few details that are completely different to the RA617H.

--My observations--
- The manifold tubes are larger in diameter most obviously, their shape is a little bit more extravagant (one of the runners swings up past the cam cover), and they're individually wrapped as opposed to being bag wrapped together. This also is in line with Honda saying at pre season testing that Toro Rosso allowed them the extra room to modify the exhaust manifold, McLaren allegedly would not give up the real estate.
- The air intake into the compressor is also slightly larger in diameter for the whole length of it and it has a much softer curve into the compressor, previously it was flattened from top to bottom and a very sharp entry into the compressor (again, presumably to save space in the McLaren). There's also a new breather hose off of it as well that is absent on the 617.
- Oil Tank looks like a slightly different shape, maybe a tad larger, especially the section around the compressor, it's no longer visible, on the RA617H, the compressor was visible from side on.
- Wastegate looks largely the same, coating/shielding looks like a different material, but nothing too drastic

But yeah there are a few notable changes, in my opinion, obviously open to being corrected but I'm inclined to believe thats the first real photo of the RA618H!

Eryngii
Eryngii

https://twitter.com/NorthHertsSam/statu ... 2024115201
Cllr Sam S Collins@NorthHertsSam
Great that @HondaRacingF1 is showing off a proper RA618H Power Unit. It is said to be slightly heavier than the RA617H

loner

some cool pics thnx
para bellum.

dren

Unless that's a cover, the oil tank now completely encapsulates the compressor. I don't see the compressor outlet, though.
Honda!

bosyber
bosyber

dren wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 13:40
Unless that's a cover, the oil tank now completely encapsulates the compressor. I don't see the compressor outlet, though.
Could it be on the 'inside', ie. going through the back of that oil tank straight into the variable intake valve area?1

Have to say, great stuff from Honda to have that engine proudly on display.

dren

bosyber wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 14:01
dren wrote:
Could it be on the 'inside', ie. going through the back of that oil tank straight into the variable intake valve area?1

Have to say, great stuff from Honda to have that engine proudly on display.
I wouldn't think so since cooling would be required, or should be required, for the charge air.
Honda!

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

dren wrote:
Maybe the outlet is under the makeshift looking sidecover in the 4. picture?

subcritical71

I notice there is only one lambda sensor per bank. I would have thought an F1 engine would have one sensor for each cylinder(?).

maguetox
maguetox

I think the whole F1 community needs to stand up and give big =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to Honda for its openest to show their PU, even if is a one or 2 evolutions behind the actual unit they are running.

HPD

:)
Q: Yamamoto-san, you introduced an engine upgrade in Russia. How much of a step forward is that? And in more general terms, how much progress have Honda made this season?

Masashi YAMAMOTO: Regarding this season, we were not as quick in the development as we would have wanted to. However, recently, everything has been much better, especially regarding the combustion chamber. We have upgraded it, and it’s finally complete, and very successfully complete.

henry

dren wrote:
Very nice pictures.

In picture 3 there is an opening in the bottom of the oil tank through which it might be possible to duct the outlet.

Likewise, in the same picture, there appears to be a connection point for the plenum with a purple anodised coupling. It’s behind the blow off duct which has the same coloured couplings. So in the car there would be a return duct from the intercooler occupying the void between the air intake duct and the cylinder head.

Edit: this is much like 2017. See page 845 of this thread for pictures of the previous years units.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

dren

henry wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 16:22
Very nice pictures.

In picture 3 there is an opening in the bottom of the oil tank through which it might be possible to duct the outlet.

Likewise, in the same picture, there appears to be a connection point for the plenum with a purple anodised coupling. It’s behind the blow off duct which has the same coloured couplings. So in the car there would be a return duct from the intercooler occupying the void between the air intake duct and the cylinder head.

Edit: this is much like 2017. See page 845 of this thread for pictures of the previous years units.
Looking closer, there's a CF panel covering the compressor outlet location with one screw holding it in place which would be the same as last year's location:
Honda!

loner

HPD wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 16:02
:)
Q: Yamamoto-san, you introduced an engine upgrade in Russia. How much of a step forward is that? And in more general terms, how much progress have Honda made this season?

Masashi YAMAMOTO: Regarding this season, we were not as quick in the development as we would have wanted to. However, recently, everything has been much better, especially regarding the combustion chamber. We have upgraded it, and it’s finally complete, and very successfully complete.
remember Wazari 2019 set goal. :wink:
well , there are some ominus events around the whole world currently but if the 2019 season to complete i think it will be a season to remembered as one of the best F1 seasons...
para bellum.